3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: black widoow psa owners...  (Read 684 times)

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: black widoow psa owners...
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
If you are looking at a 60" with a 29" draw you might want to take a look at a PCH You would have a 60" bow with the same lenght limbs as a 62" PSA that would be one smooth drawing bow, just a thought.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
No disrespect WTPOPS. But I consider the PCH just a bad choice. It has a very small sight window... Which I think it bad for instictive shooting... And I see alot of brand new PCHs for sell all the time... Much like the BOB Lee short risers.....
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 06:42:00 AM »
im not sure i would like a shorter sigt windoow..i know it cant be much different than most longbows i have owned beacause they have had short sight windows, but i just prefer a littler bit larger window.  

do the psa and pma feel relatively the same?  some have said the pma was a little bulkier.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »
Well, I gap-shoot, and my PCHx is my most accurate, comfortable bow. I love it! If you cant a bow, there is NO sight window, no matter how you shoot.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 07:00:00 AM »
The PMA is 2 inches longer in the riser then the PSA. And I can really tell the differance in  weight. Personally if I had a cool 29 inch draw I would go with a 62inch PSA. You wont even notice the extra 1 inch on both ends of the limbs. But it will make alot Sweeter shooting bow..... I am also guessing with a 29 inch draw you are 6 foot or more???? Clearing the stand should not be an issue...
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
The PMA is definitely heavier.  I think I shoot that model best of all.  I really like a 60" PSA, but I think the 62" PMA fits me best.  I've had better luck with these two bows.  The 62" PSA and 64" PMA, while smooth, always had a slight vibration at the end of the shot.  This is my feeling, and obviously it is not something that everyone feels.  Lots of love for the longest limbs, just don't work for me...Mike

Offline snufer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
I have an older PSA that I hunt with that has the standard grip, and a new one with the Asbel grip, in a lighter poundage due to shoulder problems (that are getting better!) I really prefer the Asbel grip over the standard grip, and am going to sell the newer one and get a new PSA with more poundage. As far as noise, I use a skinny string with wool silencers, and velcro in the string grooves, and it is very quiet. I prefer Black Widows over any other bow that I have ever shot!!

Offline danderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
that kingwood is making me drool! I have plans to be putting an order in this spring for a PMA in that finish   :bigsmyl:
BW SAX Kingwood 54#

1967 Bear Super Kodiak 50#

Offline GANDGOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
I have a beautiful psa w/asbell grip,I'd be happy to sell you. 60"-51@28. made this year ,for a good price (for a widow), But only after HUNTING season !!  :goldtooth:
3 pc. Morrison Shawnee 60" 51#
3 pc. Shafer Silvertip 62" 48#
1 pc. Sandy Biles Super Xt 47#
3 pc. A&H ACS 62" 48#
3 pc. Das Dalaa 60" 48#

For GOD so Loved the world. He GAVE His Only Son...John 3:16.

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
Well dern bud..that defeats the purpose!  How bout u send on to GA for a test run!

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
Brian:

Gonna keep it a secret... might want to patent it.. LOL....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline MO Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
I have a PSAIII with the Asbell grip.  I have big hands, so it wasn't much of an option.  

As far as the noise goes, I've never had an issue with deer jumping my string.  I've had shots from 8yds out to 30yds and haven't had a problem.  I use wooly whispers where the BW folks say to put their silencers that come with the bow.  

My arrows are 11gpi, so they're not terribly heavy...it pulls 52# @28".

The limbs creaked a little bit when I first got the bow, but I put some string wax on the posts and threads of the bolts and never had an issue again.

All in all, I like the fat grip.  I also like how heavy it is.  All that meat in the middle there keeps my arm steady.  I've shot lighter bows and my arm was all over the place.  I'm sure I'd get used to it, but I'd rather shoot what I already have.

I'll repeat what someone said earlier.  If you cant your bow, sight window differences don't come into play.  The taller sight window only matters if you shoot more up and down.  I cant about 15-20 degrees and nothing is in the way whatsoever.

Adam

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
What's the difference in a standard psa and psax riser?

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
"X" in BW lingo stands for exotic wood.  you can pick and choose whatever wood you would like to have in the riser and limbs.  Otherwise the standard models I THINK are maple.

I have the greybark color.  I like my bow just fine.  Easy to shoot, tough as nails, not as loud as some like to say.  I have never had a deer "jump the string".

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Fountain:

The Widow folks have a "test drive" program.  You might get a bunch of questions answered by calling the Widow Works and talking with the boys... Roger, Toby, John and Vernon about what you are looking for.  They will gladly spend as much time talking you through your questions as it takes and they don't lie.  They likely have a bow on the rack that would be close to what you are looking for and could ship it for you to try.

If there is even a remote chance that you could get there do so.  It will slap you silly when you see the bows on the wall for you to try.

I am not trying to cut off your questions.  By all means ask away... that is what a bunch of us thrive on...
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
Huntschool is right, I did the test drive and it really sealed the deal for me.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by fountain:

Originally posted by RUSTY1:
See my sig! Mine also has the Asbell grip!
Ready to sell it?!!!    :p  [/b]
Hey, everything is for sale if the money is right! Lol!
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »

Originally posted by fountain:

See my sig! Mine also has the Asbell grip!
Ready to sell it?!!!     :p   [/b]
Hey, everything is for sale if the money is right! Lol! [/b]
lay it on me bud!

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
JMHO, Widows are loud with the stock Widow string. Had and shot them all, SA, MA, TF, SAG, LAG, PSA, PMA, PTF, PSR, PL and PCH. Super shooting bows. With the right brace, string, arrow weight, silencer combination and position you can get them as quiet as any bow out there. I've had the best luck with 8 strand SBD strings and Navaho Wool puffs. I did have one 62" SA that I finally gave up on because I couldn't get it quiet enough no matter what I did. You might have to slow them down a bit to get them silent but speed doesn't kill, silence does. Stable, dependable bows and they are "bombproof", and the Widow Workers give you the best service you can get.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
I have a 44# PSAV.I'm shooting a 375gr arrow out of it.Mine is fairly quiet.I shoot 3under and use 4 spider silencers.I also put velcro under the limb tips where the string contacts the limbs.That seems to help alot with noise.I have a 9" brace height.I'm shooting 29" easton epic 600's and they bareshaft great.The PSA is a great bow.You won't be disappointed with it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©