3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Birch bark backing  (Read 400 times)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
Birch bark backing
« on: July 07, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
I have some beautiful birch bark that I am considering using to back a bow with. Does anybody know of any reason why I shouldn't do it? Any suggestions would be very welcome. Also on a side note, maybe I'm just a little slow but I haven't been able to figure out what ttt means in the 2 months I've been hanging around here. Thanks
Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Birch bark backing
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
To the top. To move a thread to the top of the page.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
I tried it and wasn't too impressed.  It didn't seem very durable.  I've had better luck with cherry.

Offline ROB TAYLOR

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
My Hwarang Korean bow is birch bark backed....looks pretty cool...haven't really given it the stress test so I don't know how durable it is.  On the other hand, many cultures have been backing with bark for centuries...so...can't be a completely stupid idea.  I say give it a whirl....I'd probably seal it with something to give it extra life.
-Rob
>>>--TGMM-Family of the Bow--->

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
I've used birch bark to back sinew backed bows and had good results with it. Unfortunately it doesn't stay as white when glued but it still looks cool. I think I used TBIII to glue it down and used a single, thin layer as the back.It won't add ant performance but has good water resistance.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MWM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
I have also thought of using Birch Bark.  I was thinking of splitting the bark, it grows in layers, and glueing it on with the inside out.  In other words, taking the white off, down to a good glue surface and then glueing that side to the bow. What do you think?

I have seen bows backed with the white side out and I didn't like the look of it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©