3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: green camo ?  (Read 399 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
green camo ?
« on: September 18, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
In my opinion, Mossy Oak full foliage was absolutely the best early season camo pattern there was with Skyline Apparition green right in there.  Both went and retired those patterns and nobody seems to make anything like them anymore.

Is anyone aware of any similar patterns out there still ?

ChuckC

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: green camo ?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
In my opinion, Mossy Oak full foliage was absolutely the best early season camo pattern there was with Skyline Apparition green right in there.
Great post for a debate. In my opinion there are only 3 kinds of camo that really work on animals and that's ASAT, Predator and NatGear. All the rest are geared to humans and marketing B.S.

Oh and not lets forget that a Ghillie suite is the hands down best camo period.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Benoli

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
I still think that the Brown Mirage was one of the best. I wish it could be resurected. ASAT and Predator are my two choices now. I have one set of Mirage left in Fleece.
One stick, one string and an arrow I'll fling!

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
MikeW, i couldnt agree more..
is it September yet??

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
You know Mike.   I would normally agree.  But I have walked in on hunters while wearing full foliage and scared the *** out of them.

I collect camo T shirts.  I have a LOT of them. I have done the thing for bow hunters ed where you hang them all up in the bushes.. yadda yadda.

In early season (leaves on and green), those two were far and away the best.  Now they are "no more".

I own a ghillie suit. I love it. It is light brown or tan.  When I sit in a field edge while it is greened up, the deer see me.  They don't know what I am (don't spook), but they see something out of place.  When it is browned out I have had bucks walk right up to me.

Don't know what they see or don't see, but sometimes the reactions are obvious.
ChuckC

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Ha, this should open another can of worms!
 Which camo is best? The most expensive one of course.... according to the big companies!

I'm a camo guy, but my Dad has killed so many deer at close range with a longbow wearing bluejeans(he calls them dungarees) and a light tan coat that he's owned forever.
 I like the look of camo, but one pattern over another doesnt make a hell of beans difference if you are caught moving. IMHO of course!
David M. Conroy

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
I would love if someone made deer hide camo. Those buggers seem to scare the crap out of me when I jump them stomping in the woods.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by LongStick64:
I would love if someone made deer hide camo. Those buggers seem to scare the crap out of me when I jump them stomping in the woods.
Same here!!!  :biglaugh:
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
David M. Conroy

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
The best I know of in Texas and Colorado is US m
Military "Woodland" which is not used any more.
If you have some woodland, set it out where you are hunting next to what you are hunting with? Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
I don't use a single camo pattern at any time. For example, today on stand I actually used 6 patterns at once, I had the old military eastern woodland pants, my bug suit top, my harness vest, my gloves, snake boot,and my hat all using different patterns. The label is out of some of them, so I don't even know the pattern names used in some of the garments. Seems to work just fine, though.

I did not deliberately mix 'em up, but rather, when I needed garments, I bought the pattern that caught my interest at the moment (sometimes it was as simple as this was the only pattern offered by the store), which results in some interesting combinations, but they are quite effective.  However, like one of the guys said before, if they catch you moving it doesn't matter what camo you use, because you will be busted.

Also, I also have several wool articles, including some stuff from Ms. Asbell, which I highly recommend. I beleive plaid patterns in muted colors are just as effective as any commercial camo made.

Lastly, LongStick64 may have been joking about the deer hide camo, but that, or a coloration similar to a rabbit, would make excellent camo.
Sam

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
Not completely joking, I actually think it could be very effective.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by LongStick64:
Not completely joking, I actually think it could be very effective.
You would be liable to get your tail shot off.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
Early season, I like ASAT pants and Sticks 'N Limbs top. works for me....I think Barnhart and Starr got their ASAT pattern from watching Chipmunks. Now those little creatures have a great camo pattern!!

In the pic below, my fanny pack in the upper right corner is Brown Mirage...was offered by a company in Montana, no longer in business. Yes, very effective and closes to ASAT.

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Red4arm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
Camo patterns are for hunters. I fall for it too. Plaid works as well as anything.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
I REALLY like the new Vanish™ camo.

That's me just left of the middle.

If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
oh-ya i see ya .

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
Zradix, your fly is down....
David M. Conroy

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
Don't know why on earth you had to use Vanish AND the Ghost Blind at the same time....    :rolleyes:
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline hedgetree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
ASAT and Predator seem to work best for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©