3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: green camo ?  (Read 400 times)

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: green camo ?
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 12:00:00 AM »
Sigh...I few guys hit on it. Mother Nature has provided the best camo.  or other wise they wouldn't be here today right? IE: Deer, tan on top, white on the bottom with some grey thrown in and a white tail to to alert others of danger(so why do some many archers use White fletching and caps/cresting)and I've said it a 100 times, how many times have you had a deer right in your face and you never saw it until it moved And what about a snake, you never see them until you step on them and they are what? White on the bottom with open dark patterns on top.

It's all about movement and breaking up the human outline as an animal sees not as a human sees, if you're into paint ball then by all means look into Mossy Oak, Real Tree ect. if you are a hunter then the you should be looking into the first ones I mentioned..end of story and I'll argue this till my grave. Go Google it and educate yourself on how animals see and how camo works..Real Tree...Mossy Oak ect. is total marketing B.S.

Edit:
Back when I was poor my brother and I went and bought white sweats and painted them with big open patterns of grey, brown and green then copied stencils of ASAT patterns and painted them dark grey and black. I can't tell you how many friends we scared the crap out of or how many animals we had within feet of us..it works!
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 12:37:00 AM »
For deer hunting I like the way predator breaks up your outline.
The predator patterns seem to break up better than the asat.

I think the brown is the best personally.

Some of the greens they make look better to MY eyes when next to a green leafy background.
But deer don't see in color.
If you "black and white" the pic the browns from predator actually blend in better...there is more of a shade variance between the colors which results in a better break up of your outline.

The greens from predator sorta blend together when you "B&W" the pic.

My 2¢
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Lamplighter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 05:50:00 AM »
I must say I am shocked to finally see someone else besides me that says M.O. full foilage was the best. I agree. That is from the late 80's, early 90's era. Dressed in head to toe Full Foilage, I have been within 3 yards of turkey gobblers many times and never ever got busted. I've had deer stare right through me with that stuff on. It was very effective. But like the machine that they claim to have that would put the electric companies out of business, the camo industry knows it has to make something new every year to make money. Market demands "the latest pattern" and it makes money- regardless if it really works. True that camo makers now are in it mostly to make money with marketing ploys, but back then in the 80's, Toxy was just getting started and he was serious about getting close to turkeys, not deer. Only after the Full Foilage era did he & others begin leaning more toward marketing. I mean think about it, his job was done. He made a camo that achieved his goal, very well. Normally you'd stop there. But if U did, you'd be out of business. So, yeah, there is if's & buts of the camo business.

When considering camo, one must consider what he is hunting AND where he is hunting. What you get away with deer hunting will get you busted with turkeys. Full Foilage was invented by Toxy who hunted turkeys in Mississippi. And it worked extremely well. Like i said, I've had numerous deer & turkey stare right through it. It may not work Nth & East, where spot & stalk tactics are used.
Camo helps with letting you ease in & out of your treestand spot undetected, which helps prevent being detected by all deer, even does that you are not interested in. Maybe you are on to a big buck, and if you spook does making entry & exit, the does disperse then there went the reason for the buck hanging around, so camo does help if the hunter does his part. Folks like to tell the story of that time they were in blue jeans & smoking a cigarette and deer passed and didn't detect them, but that was one particular time that probably the wind was right, and they just happened to be not shifting weight from one leg to another , not lifting the cigarette up to puff, etc. things just happened to be right that one time.

Anyway, this & GPS my favorite topics. I have found that the next best thing to the old Full Foilage today is Mossy Oak Obsession. I have had turkeys literally IN my blind that I could have reached out and grabbed by the neck ( True story) wearing Obsession, more than once. That hen came in my blind with gobbler in tow. He was looking hard and was right in front of me, with only a sparse partial natural blind I had built. He never knew I was there.

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 06:10:00 AM »
Too me I like to break up with different patterns in jacket , hat gloves pants. It "breaks" up...to me that works!
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »
My brother asked me one time why companies did not make camoflauge that looked like deer. I told him to think about it for a few minutes  :p . They obviously would not have many return customers after hunting season.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
I'm not opposed to camo.  I rather like the way it looks and own a lot of it for both hunting and daily wear.  However, it drives me NUTS when things don't match (moderatly obsessive personality tempered with ten years service), so I tend to shy away from it so I can focus on hunting and enjoying myself rather than dithering over being messed up.  

I will say my favorite patters are the BDU and DCU, and the old stuff that Fred Bear wore and my dad STILL wears, although his are very faded.  It flat works, is simple, and doesn't look retarded if you stop for coffee somwhere.

But hey, I've seen guys get it done in everything from blobs of orange to full body wooly suits.  I've also seen guys get busted (and have been both myself) in the same range of stuff, so wear what suits you.
Silence is golden.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
Look at the outline around my silhouette. There is very little contrast between the 2 "colors."  A lot of the "veg" in nature has a higher color value, brightness, than we think. Especially when there is sun light on it.  Obviously you can see the "color" but not much of an outline at the silhouette where it meets the veg.  

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
Deer eyes are built totally different from ours.
So it's hard to image just what and how they see.
It's been proven they see some yellows and lt blues.

One of the big differences in HOW they see has to do with the way their brain are wired to the optical "pick-ups" in the eyes.

Our eyes have separate nerves running to each photoreceptor in our eyes. Us being wired this way lets us see in fine detail.
But that gives our brain much more data to process and some things just get lost in the transmission....basically our brain ignores much of the info it receives as it learns much isn't important..and it fills in blanks when it recognizes something.

Deer on the other hand have multiple photoreceptors wired to each nerve that runs to the brain.
Being wired so, deer can't see the fine detail we can. Their brain has no way of telling which receptor from the group is sending the signal as quite a few are sharing the same wire.

Deer being wired this way though lets them deal with less info and truly process more of what they see.
Also, being wired this way makes deer much more sensitive to seeing movement as only one receptor from the group needs to pick up movement and send the signal...as said before a deer's brain pays attention to what the eyes tell it.

So... long story short..deer see movement well.
The camo that hides movement the best wins = the camo that breaks up your outline best wins.

Oh...and that fine detail in some camo is lost to a deer.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
This is a little better comparo.  Realtree APG and Grey Wool. Look at the silhouettes. The drabber, green, high tech one make much more of a "statement" to me anyway.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
Especially at a distance.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
the big difference in those pics are in what is behind the camo.

The pines behind the gray coat are more similar in tone to the gray because of the lighting.

The green coat is much darker than its well lit/lighter back ground.

good pic

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
Predator spring green ...best early season camo made.......Tim

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline justracey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
Check out some of the pictures of Predator camo in this thread they are in both color and Back and white

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=105765;p=2
Just get outside and blow the stink off!!!

www.stjoeriverbows.com

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
I've said before how natural fibers like wool reflect light differently, much like the hair on an animal, regardless of color or pattern. I believe this is true. You'd be surprised just how close an animal will come to you while wearing one of Ron LaClair's solid grey wool long hunter pull overs.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
I'll be honest.  For me, its hard be beat the $5 mossy oak t shirts at Walmart.  I don't feel guilty about cutting the sleeves off em in the summer either.  

I also don't mind a drab, solid colored shirt or pair of britches.  If I had to choose, I'd pick that Naturagear or whatever its called tho.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©