3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Four eyes a must!  (Read 212 times)

Offline Benoli

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Four eyes a must!
« on: September 18, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
Well I think I'm finally having to toss the towel in on my eye sight. I find myself having to wear glasses all the time now rather thank just for reading. Trouble is I can't seem to get used to shooting with glasses. All I keep seeing is frame when trying to aim. I've been  contemplating contacts but was wondering how well they'll work when shooting.
One stick, one string and an arrow I'll fling!

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Four eyes a must!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
I've been shooting with glasses my entire life. I don't see any part of the glasses or frame when I aim. Maybe you just need to not think about the glasses. Focus on the target and you will not notice them.
Although how large or small are the frames, How much do you turn your head when shooting may be things to look at.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline DanB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
Last year I tried contacts because my glasses fogged up during cold weather. They work okay but I still had to use readers to see up close.  Also, when blood trailing on hands and knees, my contacts were useless.  With age, there are trade offs for everything!
USN 1968-2000

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
Have you looked into that laser eye surgery?  I had it done about 10 years ago and it changed my life.  I went from 20/200 in both eyes to 20/20 and nothing has changed since.  I HATED wearing glasses, especially in hot or cold weather, and bit the bullet and had the surgery.  Is it expensive?  YES.  Is it worth it?  I believe so.  TRW

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
couple of my buddies have done the laser sugery and swear they shoulda done it years ago...
is it September yet??

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
Shot with glasses for many ,many years.....never had a problem.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
Some are candidates for laser surgery, and some are not.  I was not, but contacts have kept me in the game.  Best move I could have made.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
Do not try the multi-focal (presbyopia) contacts.  They really screwed up my shooting.  The brain uses one eye to see near and one eye to see far and can switch which eye it is using any time.  My shooting got very erratic.

I changed back to single vision, switched my focus out to about 10-20 yards, much better.  Now I just where reading glasses when I want to see up close.  Even got sunglasses w built in reading lenses.

I am getting used to shooting w my bifocal glasses but prefer contact when hunting.

Oh ya... gotta remember to take my reading glasses for blood trailing.  It is impossible for me to see it otherwise.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
multi focals only work well in about 30% of people. Drove me nuts!! fortunately I only need glasses to read so I don't wear them hunting.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
I wear glasses 99% of the time, but switch to contacts to hunt. I can't stand wearing my glasses while hunting. Nothing is more frustrating than having them fog up. I shoot better with contacts, too. Everything looks closer. It always takes me a little while to adjust back to glasses. I don't need bifocals just yet, but I'm sure I will at some point. My vision has sucked since I was a kid. My sense of taste is awesome, though.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
maybe have to try different frames.
Maybe some frames made for sports.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
Al, I wear them and have opened my stand just a little that helped me to start. As the sight gets worse, you'll have the pleasure of readjusting your shouting as you change frames and lenses.  You'll get use to them, the hardest problem I had was moving my eye closer to string. Good Luck!
Conny

Offline Benoli

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 12:39:00 AM »
Thanks for the input. I am being told I'm not a good candidate for the surgery. I've been leaning towards contacts with reading glasses for the up close work reading and looking for blood. A couple of friends have tried the multi focal contacts and they too said it's not the way to go. As far as blood trailing, I've been in bit of a drought and am afraid if I don't see some soon I'll forget what color to look for. Maybe this season! Thanks again to all!
One stick, one string and an arrow I'll fling!

Offline GANDGOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
MOST optometrist will say you're not a candidate .They lose income. See the Lasik surgeon.. Let HIM see what you need . My Dr. got reallllly po,d. Did it anyway 6yrs.and counting. L.eye close,R eye (dom) far. No worries. No fog , No rain spatter, No searching for glasses in the morning..  :archer:
3 pc. Morrison Shawnee 60" 51#
3 pc. Shafer Silvertip 62" 48#
1 pc. Sandy Biles Super Xt 47#
3 pc. A&H ACS 62" 48#
3 pc. Das Dalaa 60" 48#

For GOD so Loved the world. He GAVE His Only Son...John 3:16.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
Last year I finally used my glasses in the woods. I gained about ten minutes of shooting time due to blurred vision before using them. Glad too. Those tiny branches tend to disappear in lower light and when I did go to the glasses I could see deeper into the scrub trees.

No contacts.

No surgery planned.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline iron_llama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
Keep shooting with your glasses on.  Eventually you'll train your eye to look past the frame.  Perhaps a different frame design would help.  I grew up with glasses and the only time I had the trouble you describe is when shooting a rifle from the prone position- my glasses would sometimes slide down my nose putting the frame between my eye and the scope.  I finally got LASIK last year so it's not an issue anymore.

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
If you are new to glasses, you might as well be new to contacts and not have the issue of the frame in your way, fogging, glare, scratches, etc. plus they always seem to fall off when in a tree stand.

I also use one contact for distance in my right dominant eye and no contact in left eye for close work.

I shoot better with contacts anyway/
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©