3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fall Turkey  (Read 273 times)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Fall Turkey
« on: September 18, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
Have you ever had a bad start to the hunting season? Our deer/turkey season opened on the 15th. My wife's brother was visiting from Florida and I had a cold so bad that on Friday all I could do was lay on the couch. Saturday morning I woke up feeling well...it was weird to feel so good so quickly. So I decided that after breakfast I would go out to the property and check the trail cameras. Well, while I was doing that two basset hounds were running deer for over an hour. When I got home I had pics of them on one of the cameras. I called the local police and reported it since Fish and Game can't be reached on weekends unless you go through police dispatch anyway. Well, they knew the dogs, talked to the owner (a whole different story) who promised to keep them off my land and they wanted to leave it at that. However, I told them I would "play ball" with them on the local dog leash issue but since the dogs were chasing deer it was also a Fish and Game problem and I was going to file a report.

Despite the fact that I knew that the dogs probably had the deer off their patterns I went out anyway. Saw nothing, heard nothing and when I got home I could feel that I had overdone it and was in bed very early for me.

Well, I got up today, did a trash run to the local "recycling center" (often referred to as "the dump") and when I got home I was feeling somewhat sick again. Aching sinuses, chest congestion and all that goes with that. Laura, too, was in the midst of the worst of it and the question was, should we hunt? I felt like going but Laura was coughing and sneezing ...dealing with all that gooey stuff you get with a cold. So I told her I would set up the DB blind across the pond and if she was up to it she could at least go sit and wait out a turkey.

As the day progressed I could tell that the exertion of walking that half mile to the property was not a good idea. Laura didn't get her coughing under control and told be that we could tape the Patriot's game and watch it when I got back. At that point I had determined my health was more important than getting out one night....it could cost me another week. So I decided I could walk across the brook, sit in the blind and see if I could get a turkey close enough to shoot at. So at 3 PM I put on my black shirt, hat, glove and face mask and went and say in the blind.

I had been there for over two hours when I heard turkeys clucking and yelping in the orchard about 150 yards away. I looked over towards the driveway and right off my back deck was a big Tom gobbling!  Never heard of such a thing in the Fall. It went on for about 20 minutes then got very quiet. Apparantly something had broken up the flock, they were trying to regroup and it all sounded like they were headed away from me behind the orchard. I felt it was a good time to call it a day.

As I left the wooded area and entered a small clearing I could see two birds on the path on the other side of the pond. They saw me and started to run. I walked away from them and got  back in the blind. About 10 minutes later there were several turkeys in the clearing about 60 yards away. I knew the blind was set in an area that they fed in almost every day so I sat tight. Five of them approached me and one walked in front of me at about 5 yards. The Razorcaped Beman zipped right thru the turkey which went about 5 yards around a big hardwood and dropped right there. Maybe, just maybe, things are getting better for this year. The bird was not one of the big ones I was after but I will leave that to Laura to take care of. Tender turkey on the grill. When we are all well and have our sense of taste back it will be a wonderful thing. Here's the hero pic.

Here's why I like razor sharp Razorcaps.

The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fall Turkey
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
Those young birds are good eaters!  Congrats!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
I second that.  Those young birds are delicious.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
They the limbs Sid let ya borrow?? Nice Bill! Shawn
Shawn

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
Congrats!!!

Gobs will both gobble and strut in the fall. Counted over 50 gobbles one evening until the they were far enough away and the strong winds drowned out the sound. Even had a hen gobbling or doing her best to immitate a gobble one fall not ten yards from the blind before being arrowed. Only dominant birds will strut in the fall.

Hope you two start to feel better soon.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
Nice shooting Bill!!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Hooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
Wow, those Razorcaps sure make a nice hole. Nice shooting!! Congrats!
Black Widow PSA III - 59#@31
Black Widow PSR III - 53#@30 1/2
Holm Osprey 62"- 55#@30"

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
Good job Bill! I shot a  young hen this week, wife, myself and a hunting buddy had her with some fried potatoes, gravy, cornbread and cranberry sauce! Aint fall turkey hunting fun!
samuel koger

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
Nice one Bill-Hap

Offline Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
congrats Bill ..a very nice bird...hope I can make it out this year finally and hunt and hopefully get something...been a long 4 years
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 11:57:00 PM »
congrats Bill ..a very nice bird...hope I can make it out this year finally and hunt and hopefully get something...been a long 4 years
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
Congrats, man I wish fall turkey was open where I hunt in Maryland. I always see birds when I am deer hunting.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 08:19:00 AM »
Thanks, all. I'm feeling pretty good this AM and Laura, while feeling better, is dealing with that post nasal drip and is still coughing. I didn't get the big bird I was hoping for but given my state of mind and having a really poor bear hunt the shot was too good to pass up. Now it just deer...hopefully with a clear head.

Art...been wondering where you've been.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
Good shootin' Bill congrats.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
Outstanding Bill Congrats!

Offline hnt2mch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns....

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
:clapper:  
Feel better.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
Nice job Bill!!   You've become a turkey machine now!  They are still the wing(ed) spawns of satan for me. LOL!  Awesome!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
Great job Bill, now onto those deer you have hanging around......  :thumbsup:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©