3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Making bows from scratch  (Read 418 times)

Offline salmoncandy

• Trad Bowhunter
Making bows from scratch
« on: July 07, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
Does anyone have a link or a chart on your computer that you could send me. Im looking for the thickness charts that tell you approx.. what thickness your bow should start out being to have the correct poundage..It would be greatly appreciated.
email it to [email protected]
or post the link..
thanx.
a

Offline gordonf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making bows from scratch
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
What kind of bow? Self-bow, laminated, glass?

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 11:30:00 PM »
Salmon,

Depends greatly on bow style, limb style, limb length and drawlength.  Need more info.  Check out Bingham's projects website.  Some good charts.  Just made my first and came out exactly where I wanted it using their info and ....guessing a little!

Steve

www.binghamprojects.com

Offline salmoncandy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 12:56:00 AM »
Sorry about that guys,,, I do have the chart from binghams.. but they only have long bows of 68inches. I have used it for other recurves that i have made from scratch and was pretty close. I am trying to build a 64 inch laminated long bow, I know there are many variables, but a guy needs a number to start with. Im going to be using a 17 inch riser and the limbs should be around 23inches from fadeout to string. I would like them to be close to 1 1/2 inches wide and taper down to around 9/16 at nock.
On a reflex deflex this should give me an achieved brace height of 7 1/2 inches//
a

Offline salmoncandy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
Unless im missing something. That caluculation for extrapolation is only for the recurves. There is not one for the long bows. Ans yes I could call and ask them ..(if is was going to order something) but as i said earlier i am making them from scratch. Including cutting and sanding my laminations. I have made 28 recurve bows from scatch and 1 from binghams, and the first one i made just guessing turned out better than the one i made from their kit and plans. and the rest got better. I have never been happy with the service or the plans. They were the most in acurate thing i have ever seen. Blue prints my a__ They would have been more accurate if drawn by crayon.
a

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »
"Extrapolation" now  THAT  is a  $50.00   WORD!!   :thumbsup:    :archer:    :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline salmoncandy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
where do i collect said bucks $$$
a

Offline salmoncandy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
LOOK>>> im not trying to piss anyone off. I just am trying to find a chart from a book or magazine that shows the starting formulas. THATS ALL.. Oh and I did get a lucky guess i suppose.
a

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©