3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: VA Hog Hunt  (Read 1805 times)

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
VA Hog Hunt
« on: July 07, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »
Alright, it's that time again to apply for the Back Bay/False Cape Hog/Deer Hunt. I was thinkg that if a bunch of guys all apply for the same zone/day we could get 50% drawn and 50% could use the "buddy tag". I got drawn last year and the drop off in kills from days 1 and 2 to day 4 was huge. I seem to remember that zone 6 was very productive last year and I was thinking of applying for the Monday (10/8) hunt as there will be more chance of getting a bunch of people drawn than shooting for the first day.

Take a look  http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/quotahunts/#205

and let me know what you think. I will be applying anyway, but it would be fun if a bunch of us could go. I was the only ARCHER last year let alone Trad and was looked upon as a freak.

Never mind, I would love to come back with a pig this year.

Adam

Offline chessieboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: VA Hog Hunt
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 03:18:00 AM »
Sounds cool. Do nonresidents need a Va license? Do you know the cost for that license? Where in Va is this?

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »
Non Residents do need a licence, but I have no idea how much that is. The hunt is right down in the SE tip of VA south of Sandbridge on a strip of land adjacent to NC.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »
Adam,
 Do you have a link for the application? I would be interested in this hunt, as might my nephew Chris. Always fun to try new places, might have to bring the sun tan lotion!
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »
Tom here is the link to the game dept.
   http://www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/

i'm not sure if you will need the big game license, i wouldn't think so.  probably just the small game and archery license.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »
Tom after reading (should have done that first), since this hunt is in conjunction with a deer hunt you will probably need your big game license as well.

it looks like for a 3 day non-resident hunting license (includes hunting license, big game tags and archery tag) it will run $143. plus the $10. for the Back Bay NWR permit.

if you get drawn you will be able to shoot a deer as well as a hog. you could also go ahead and get the season hunting license for about $40. more and join a few of us Trad Gang members in Bath county for the annual "Rough Mountain" hunt which will be from October 20th through 27th.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
No limit on hogs either.  Adam, what type of hogs were they? and what size where they?  Also, did you notice that the zones were redrawn?  Is zone 6 this year the same as zone 6 last year?

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
Will have my license and cerificate in hand, will be hunting the Valley anyway.Would like to get together with others for this hunt. What additional equipment-boots,clothes,etc.-are used in the hunt? Dry land or marshy?
 Thanks for any info.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
Adam, HoNeHeJeff and Robtattoo should be down during that time and may want to participate. I will try to contact Bob Walker and see if He/ They are Game for this. Sure sounds like fun.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »
I'm up for it, I'll be on vacation then.  I'll get my license asap.  I've never hunted there so it should be interesting.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
Adam i have not made this hunt before, what kind of camping or lodging would we be set up with?  

what are the chances of every getting drawn?  if Jeff & Rob make it with Bob, would they be able to hunt for sure? would hate to see them plan on this hunt and then not being able to hunt.

you can count me in for one or more of the 8-10 dates. that monday the 8th works great.
>~Rob~>

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »
Da Fatman's in.....  :goldtooth:
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 06:55:00 AM »
Hmmm. Monday would mean I'd have to take two days off, Monday and Tuesday, so I can make the 6 hour trip back. I was saving my time off for closer to the rut.  Anyone interested in applying for that Saturday 10/6?  Maybe we could make it a multiday event.  

There's some primitive camping nearby, I think it's a KOA.  It's in an area that's mostly rental beach houses that 20-30 years old.  I'm not sure but there may be a hotel somewhere in Sandbridge, near the north part 2-3 miles up.  If not the nearest hotel will be back towards Princess Anne, about 15 minute drive.  Sandbridge is pretty remote from the rest of VA Beach and is where most of the locals go for a day at the beach.  I've surfed there a lot but I wasn't looking for a place to stay so I'm not real certain of accomodations.  

As for terrain: it's a beach spit with Back Bay on the west side and the ocean on the east side and only maybe a 1,000 yards between, wider at some spots, narrower in others.  Depending on how much rain has fallen will determine how marshy it is.  There's saw grass, stunted live oaks, greenbrier, sea oats,wild blueberries, BITING FLIES, mosquitoes, ticks, and lots and lots of sand.  Think brushy terrain mixed with grasses and low trees.  The dune areas are open with just grass and sea oats but they are off limits and won't be visited by deer or pigs.  As you get closer to the Bay side it gets thicker and the trees get bigger (12-20' max).   The live oaks drop small acorns and will probably be the best bet for hunting.  It's a neat area and has wild horses running around on it.

Paleface, for everyone drawn they can bring one buddy to hunt with him so that increases the odds of being drawn if everyone puts in since those not drawn can go as a buddy.  Adam, any idea of when the drawing is?  If it's far enough in advance HoNeHeJeff and Robtattoo would know of their success and could plan accordingly.

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 08:06:00 AM »
Alright, there seems like a lot of interest.

Chuck, they had a chart of # of Hogs taken on each day and by day 4 there seem to have been around 100 taken (mainly on the first 2 days) I saw them from around 100-300#. As for the zones I don't see any change so it may just be minor. Iwas in Zone 10 last year and it seemed to be the least effective.
Rob, I stayed in a VA beach hotel last year, but this year I would look at staying somwhere in Sandbridge as the Hunt starts early (you have be there around 530am I think) I got drawn first time I think because I stated no preferance for my Day/Zone. You can hunt "standby" and last year only one guy showed up and he got in. I think that hunting the Monday will give us the best chance of getting drawn/hunt sucess, as I think that most people who request a day will take the Saturday, But truthfully I have no Idea what the cahnces are. Also note that you must have a hunters ed cert.
I found out that I got drawn the first week of Sept. so you will have a months notice. If Half of us get drawn then everyone can go, but I am concerned that we might have too many guys trying for one zone. Zone 6 is set to have 10 hunters plus buddys, If it looks like there are over 10/15 guys entering the draw I might suggest some going for zone 5.

Hope that helps, if everyone is OK with zone 6 on the 8th. I will submit my name this week. Also If anyone sees a better zone to go for let us know, I realy don't care where we go.

Adam

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
I went on a quota hunt at Mason Neck State Park a few years back.  It was shotgun only.  When the sun came up and I could see around better I thought I was in a pumpkin patch.  There was blaze orange every 30 to 50 yards in every direction.  I thought it was the most dangerous thing ever put together.

I see this is a firearms hunt too.  Will we be over run with gun hunters?  Is a treestand a waste of time?

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
Pumpkin Patch...  :scared:    "[dntthnk]"

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by BigRonHuntAlot:
Pumpkin Patch...   :scared:      :scared:    A few minutes later here come a guy dragging her by the hind leg.  She was stretched out about eight feet long.

I got up and went home and I never applied again...whew!

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 03:12:00 PM »
Since this hunt requires a Va Hunters Ed certificate it is going to keep Jeff and Rob from being able to hunt so I don't think Bob and I will make it this time around. We will stick to deer hunting around here I would say... No Pumpkin Patches Here.  ;)

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
I don't think that I saw but one other guy while I was there, they did a real good job of spacing everyone out as they dropped us off. The zone that I was considering is 200+ acres for a max of 20 guys. I would not want to hunt a "Pumpkin Patch" either. I'm allergic to Buckshot!

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »
I did not see anyone with a treestand, the tallest live oak that I saw was about 20' There might be some pines but everyone I saw had a folding stool.

Adam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©