3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: VA Hog Hunt  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: VA Hog Hunt
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
Anyone interested in the Saturday hunt?  I'm thinking maybe a multiday hunt, or having single day hunts overlap with a shared day in camp.

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
Another name to be added to the list.  My buddy Dave is off that week and is going to put in for Oct 8th, zone 6 also.

Dave is not a member of Trad Gang.com.  He shoots a Black Widow w/aluminum arrows and is an excellent shot.  He was very excited to hear about a traditional group going on this hunt. Though it's not like haven't told him about Trad Gang.com before.

So, how many people do we have so far that have actually applied?
1) UK Bowman
2) VA Bowbender [myself]
anyone else?   :saywhat:
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2007, 05:56:00 AM »
Here are a few pics I took last year,
Snake Skin

Back Bay on the west side of the area this was real near a bunch of beds and trail through the reeds

The landscape changes from Swamp in the West to Early Oaks and Pines that grow on small dunes with small swampey areas in between

And finaly to the beach

I hope we get drawn, it is a really great and unique enviroment to hunt.

Adam

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »
I'm going to pass on this Adam.  I talked to one of my buddies last night and he was really hoping to bring his daughter to my place on the 6th to get her first deer.  The first two weeks of the season I have chestnuts on the ground and the deer just come in herds.  I wish they would open a hog hunt in the off season.  I'm going to post a thread asking if there are any public land hogs in adjoining states that have off season hunts.  Maybe we can do one of those too.  I was looking forward to hunting that thick stuff and then swimming in the surf. (Surf and Turf)

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
What do you think the chances of getting drawn if my father and I apply for zone 6 on the 8th? if chances are pretty good, then we'll apply also but if you don't think we would get drawn then we might go for a different day.

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
That's fine Chuck. I would still love to get together this fall, your property sounds great!

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2007, 03:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by atlatlzoom:
What do you think the chances of getting drawn if my father and I apply for zone 6 on the 8th? if chances are pretty good, then we'll apply also but if you don't think we would get drawn then we might go for a different day.
I would try to get in on the first day.  If not in zone 6 then some other zone.  After the first day game will be scattered everywhere and become nocturnal.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
Adam,  
  My property does well at the beginning of bow, after that it's just a doe spot, especially after the boom sticks get in the woods.  Can be good when the boys are chasing but I usually go elsewhere then and just use the homestead for evenings and other times I can't get away.  

You and Rob still interested in maybe floating into a wilderness area for a weekend hunt during Oct?

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Talondale:
Adam,  
 You and Rob still interested in maybe floating into a wilderness area for a weekend hunt during Oct?
I'm interested let me know when and I'll try to be there.

...Rob

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »
As far as the days of the hunts goes, they had a chart when I was there last year. The first day was the best, but the second day (Monday) was not that far off due to the fact that there was no hunting on Sunday. The Tuesday and Wednesday were a lot worse, though guys still killed Hogs and Deer. You can apply multiple times, so have at it!

Enjoy the hunt

Adam

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
How many of us signed up for the hunt?

Adam,
What kind of hunting should I expect to be doing?  Would it be better to plan on stalking or set up in a ground blind?

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2007, 06:42:00 AM »
Hi Rob,

As far as I can see it looks like there are about 5 guys who have registered.

I was still hunting last year. Most people seemed to bring folding stools. The terrain varies from marshland to thick brush to open dunes.

Adam

Offline always89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2007, 08:27:00 AM »
You fellas mind if me and my boy join in? Ive applied for the 10/8 zone 6.

Also, I just moved back to VA. I live in South Chesapeake (Hickory area). Im about 15 miles from Back Bay. I have a pretty good size yard, and a street to park on. Not much room inside, but Id be glad to offer up the yard to camp in, hot showers, and a meal or two! Offer stands even if I dont get drawn.

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
Here are some pic's of Back Bay.  It looks as if zone 7 is a wooded area.  I think if we set up in an area near there it would be a good funnel for deer and hog. What do you think?
 I sure do hope we get drawn.

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by always89:
You fellas mind if me and my boy join in? Ive applied for the 10/8 zone 6.

Also, I just moved back to VA. I live in South Chesapeake (Hickory area). Im about 15 miles from Back Bay. I have a pretty good size yard, and a street to park on. Not much room inside, but Id be glad to offer up the yard to camp in, hot showers, and a meal or two! Offer stands even if I dont get drawn.
Of course you can join in, the more the better.
Thanks for the invite, I hope we can take you up on it.  Good Luck.

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
Zone 7 looks like it would be very "Marshy" The deer, at least, looked like they tend to bed down in the reeds and move East during the day.

I'm with you Rob if we don't get drawn it will be painfull   :mad:  , though If everyone else does and I don't I will still go and Hunt standby, I did not see anyone get turned away last year.

Lookin' forward to it and loading up on Thermocell refills   :scared:  

Adam

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
Lookin' forward to it and loading up on Thermocell refills    :scared:    

OH YEAH, I already checked my Thermocell.  Now if I could just find those 5 boxes I bought last year I'll be fine.
  :knothead:  

I'll defer to you on zone 7 but the aerial photo showed trees so I thought of cover for the deer.

How long does it take to get a reply on the drawing?

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
I have to disagree with you Adam.  Zone 7 may get marshy as you near the actual bay but it would be oak thicket until then.  Use the new Beta radar map on Weather.com.  It's incredible!  You can zoom right in to satelite picture quality better than the one Rob posted.  The picture they use shows definite wooded area with zone 8 being partially flooded (which isn't unusual after any heavy rain).  Great source for pictures.  They also seem more recent than most other sources.  They have my house during construction which is a little over 2 years ago.

OR follow this link:   http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=36.640497~-75.912158&style=h&lvl=15&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=2635347&encType=1

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
Hi Guys,
You might also look at maps.live.com which is the MS Virtual Earth site.  The images of your chosen spots look pretty good.  I think they are pretty recent.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
Wow, Forester just updated my email with the link as you posted that. LOL

The Weather.com uses the same technology as maps.live.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©