3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which Broadhead  (Read 349 times)

Offline Formby

• Trad Bowhunter
Which Broadhead
« on: September 19, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
what broadhead should i use? I will be using a 45#@28" I have heard that the magnus broadheads are good but what weight would be the best for whitetail?

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which Broadhead
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 12:08:00 AM »
im using 185gr hunor africas. they fly great and are extremely sharp. thick blades as well

weight depends on what you used to tune or arrows.  

magnus heads are nice though. t
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 12:33:00 AM »
what weight field tip are you using. start close to that weight if your arrow are flying good and see how you like them just bout any bh is good that gets listed hear check with the sponsors but it realy come down to what strikes your fancy not so much what we think is good or bad good luck

Online Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
Any of the broadheads made by VPA are outstanding.  Super tough and very, very easy to sharpen.  Worth a look...

www.vparchery.com
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
Since you're shooting 45#, you can use any broadhead you like in 2, 3 or 4 blades.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Formby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
ttt

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
Eclipse

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
If your bow is tuned for a 125 grain field point, tune it with a 125 grain Magnus.  If tuned for a 150 grain point, use the 150 grain Magnus, etc.  Any of the weights Magnus makes would be suitable for whitetail assuming they fly good with your set up.  
i've killed whitetail with a 45 lb bow tuned with the 150gr Magnus stinger.  Good luck to you this season!   :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Formby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
awesome thanks, what arrows do you guys use? Since I am new to this I do not want to make my own arrows just yet.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
I would use 3rivers trad only arrows in either a 500 or 400 spine depending on how much weight you want to put up front. As for alluminum shafting I highly recommend the Easton legacy shafts in a 1916 again with whatever point weight and length they tune in at.
James Kerr

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
And i use The Goldtip 35/55 traditional series with my setups.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
I'm using the "Helix" 2-blade single bevel.  Weight will be 125 grains plus a 100 grain brass insert.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
If I were shooting 45 lbs. I would go with a 50 grain brass insert and a two blade 100 grain Magnus Stinger. The thinner profile of the 100 grain head will give you better penetration and the brass will keep the weight up. Adding weight will change your arrow spine though so do some testing before heading to the woods.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
do consider wensel woodsman 3-blade broadheads.  

imo, they're easier to sharpen than a twin blade as they're laid flat on a file and no blade angle guestimating is required.  the woodsman head was created with low holding weight bows in mind, they're near 3:1 for exceptional flying characteristics and they make big holes and leave good blood trails.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
Truth is there are very few BAD broadheads out there (there are some!) I have shot Magnus heads for a long time and love them for whitetails or med. size game I would look to keep my arrow wieght batween 8.5 to 12 grains per pound of bow.  after that Pick a broad head you can sharpen or if you don't want to sharpen your heads I would look at the Stingers much sharper out of the package than the trad style heads from magnus.  Off hand I have only handled Magnus Stings and Steel force two blade disign heads that I felt were sharp enough to hunt with out of the package (now I have not handled all.  I love the big Magnus one heads (1.5 wide two blade) but I have to sharpen them befor I hunt with them! but man you can get a scarry edge on them.  I'm cheep so If I have to spend much over $30 for six heads I don't spend much time looking at them :-).  Important note though choose the head you have confidence in and then choose an arrow that will tune to that head and your bow!!!
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
there are a bunch of Jerry Hills on esucks, I bid on them and was outbid. the reality is that i just started sharpening my wife's broadheads. Zwicky Eskimos and Grizzlies, my hands and forearms are very pretty now, no hair left. I am just going use a file on my own, I guess. At the bow weight listed and with any draw over 25" any standard broadhead that is sharp will do the job. I think if this person has not had a lot of sharpening experience, a two  blade Zwicky or Magnus would be better. If he has the equipment to sharpen the Woodsman that would be fine as well. The thing about the Magnus is that they come with a cutting bevel that matches the carbide sharpeners, start with hard drags and end with light drags, they will be sharp enough to hunt with. If is he new at this, a set of aluminum arrows would be easier with screw in points and he will not need to go to any heavy head experimenting. He will have enough on his table getting either a standard two blade or a Woodsman sharp and tuning his bow to shoot them.

Offline Formby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
what would be better for a new guy? I have always shot carbons in my compound but would wood and aluminum be better? I also am not trying to break the bank

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
2 blade zwickey eskimo~
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
the thing about carbons is that it may take a bit of experimenting to get things just right.  With a good archery shop it can be done, but it can get spendy if you are guessing and ordering on line. I like aluminum with the Zwicky or smaller Magnus, the spine charts are fairly predictable providing you know exactly what your draw length is and you can buy screw in two blade broadheads. Aluminum does not do so well if your arrows are much over spined. Wood arrows do not do as well in a recurve if they are too much underspined, they are cheaper to build, but not that much cheaper to buy from an arrow maker. If your draw is from 27 to 28 inches with Zwicky Eskimos or similar Magnus on a 1916 with an inch to spare would be about right. Be honest about your draw length, it may be shorter than what it was with your compound.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Sorry but aluminums are no easier to tune than carbons and I agree with Rob, much easier to sharpen a Woodsman than most 2 blades. I used to shoot zwickeys. Get a good wide file and go to town. 3 blades are fine out of bows 35#s and up. Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©