3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Binos POWER??  (Read 1841 times)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Binos POWER??
« on: January 13, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »
I am going to order a pair of Zeiss on Monday, and had a question. Who think that power of the binos relates light gathering capabilities?

I know objective lens size has more to do with it but was thinking that power might as well.

Am going to get 8X40 or 10X40 Conquest ABKs, Eastern NC 8 power is more than enough but the 10s ain't but 30 dollars more.  :help:   and I might head out west in 08?

Thanks everyone,

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Binos POWER??
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
Jason... the power only matters in relation to the size of the objective lense. Example... in the same glass, the 8x40 has more light gathering capability than say an 8x32.

10 power glasses can be hard to hold steady for extended use which can lead to eye strain. Make your choice based on where you'll use them the most.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
Go to some of the better optics websites and read up on exit pupil, twilight factor, coatings, etc...

No optics "gather" light, they transmit light. Light transmission is a factor of power, objective lens dia, and coatings. Before you dump some big bucks educate yourself.

There's good cross brand info here.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »
I hunt the west but mostly in timber.  If you are hunting whitetails and such 8 are best,  for antelope and Mulies 10 are going to be best.  Elk are a toss up depending where you are hunting them.  I tend to pack 8 power 85% of the time, and take a spotting scope for really long viewing.  The light gathering of ziess will be really really good with both 8 and 10. You have to ask yourself if you plan to use them to find animals while still hunting thick cover, or do you want them for spotting animals bedded in semi brushy draws from a distance. I would buy them for what you plan to do most of the time. JMHO
Andrew

Offline Panzer I

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
I have the 8x30 Zeiss and I love them, I take them with everytime I go out.

Offline lucznik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dan Worden:
No optics "gather" light, they transmit light. Light transmission is a factor of power, objective lens dia, and coatings. Before you dump some big bucks educate yourself.

That seems to involve the splitting of a mighty fine hair - especially considering that optics don't really do either one (with the obvious exception of night-vision optics which are a completely different animal alltogether.)  Gathering and transmitting are dynamic activities while sports optics are completely passive instruments.  Light simply passes through them and is bent, reflected, etc. by nature of the prisms, lenses, etc. in their design but, there is neither "gathering" nor "transmitting" involved in any of this.  

Either word however, is perfectly sufficient to illustrate for us lay-people the basic principles that bigger objective lenses (because they create larger exit pupils) allow for:
1. (theoretically) greater amounts of light to pass through the optic to the eyes which provides for a brighter image.
2. better resolving capacities, and
3. a more comfortable viewing experience as the eyes are more free to "roam around" the image.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

Offline greenie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
8x30's get my vote for all around hunting. When binocs get much bigger there pretty easy to leave in the truck after the novelty wears off.

Offline greenie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
8x30's get my vote for all around hunting. When binocs get much bigger there pretty easy to leave in the truck after the novelty wears off.

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
Lucznik,

I'll buy that. Poor choice of words.

I just run into people that have this idea that optics are like a vaccum or funnel and some can "pull in" more light than others of the same basic specs an don't understand that it's the glass or coatings that are making the difference.

That's why I try to get people to read up so they  have an idea what's really going on inside that black or silver tube.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »
I'd go with 8xwhatever.  I just got a pair of Leica 8x32, and LOVE them.  I can't really see having much more power than that for most situations, because any more power, and they would be too heavy and bulky for me to want to bring them with me.  Also, in the type of cover I hunt most of the time, 10 power would be too much.  10 power is also very hard to hold steady.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
Great info everyone, that is what makes this site so awesome. Figure I will go with the 8 power, like 9 mile said, what I do most of the time is still hunt timber, and swamps. No need for 10s. Thanks Dan for the web site, I will check it out for info.

Later

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline ram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
I have the Kahles 10x42 and I love them.With one of the shoulder carry bino systems,they are almost not there.You will almost forget that you're wearing them.
The 42obj. lens lets in alot more light allowing for better low light vision and I like the 10x because I feel it allows me to judge the quality of an animal a little better.Which is why I bought them to begin with.I don't have any problem holding them steady when using both hands.
I see deer before they see me more than I ever have now.

Robert

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 11:34:00 PM »
Jdog I think you will be happy with the 8 power.  10 will help you judge animals better, but that is more of a gun hunting or open land situation.  I think you will find the 8 don't tire the eyes as much, are lighter and give a larger field of view 360' vs. 315' @ 1000 yards.  I actually hunt with Swarovski 8x30s out here in the steep forested country. Extra weight on the shoulders makes itself known by the end of the day, and I like a smaller bino that doesn't get into the bow string.  If you really want the larger 40 objective you will get a better image in low light but I have never had a problem and in fact can glass animals after legal hunting hours as it is. Ziess are fine binos you really can't go wrong with their glass
I noticed that Binos.com has the 8x30s for about $580
here's the link
 http://zeiss.binoculars.com/site_search/index.php?keywords=&cat=2&brand=79&display=&sort=&lp=500&hp=1000000
Andrew

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 07:46:00 AM »
I went through this puzzle a few years back, I choose the 10 power because they were just a few dollars more and the same weight.  I wish now that I had bought the 8x.  The 10s are great binos but like Charlie said above they are hard to hold steady for long times and can lead to eye strain.

I do like the 10x42s I now have though when I'm out west and glassing for elk while seated.  You just see more.

Jason got the Lieca 7x42s for his b'day this year and absolutely loves them after hunting with them for a season.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©