3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pearson Dead Heads  (Read 550 times)

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pearson Dead Heads
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
I have several and love them.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
bigbadjohn;
Are you refering to the Golden Key Deadheads? they have replaceable blades set in an offset in the ferrule?

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
No. these are fixed blade Pearson Deadheads. Picture the head like its flying at you and you are looking straight into the point. The the blades will form a small "S" because the left blade is bent down and the top blade is bent up. I'm sure mine aren't the only ones like this so I must not be painting a clear image. I will post a picture when I get home.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
I've shot Deadheads for years and never seen one with a helical. Perhaps they were a special run. If so may be worth a forutne and definately not to shoot and lose or break. Better check that out. God bless you, Steve

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
I remember seeing the helical heads, but the scuttlebutt was that they didn't penetrate well. Don't remember who made them.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
Boy, John you've really got my curiousity up. I can't wait to see these, I've not heard of them before.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline grizz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
Hey Raghorn, it seems like a sacreledge to do that to a nice old Deadhead!
mike

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
Word has it that Robin Buck is indeed bringing back his version called the Dreadhead.  He said they should be out by the end of the year.  I can't wait.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
I never did use the Deadheads but always hear good stuff about them.I remembered Doc Ashby saying some favorable things about them and after reading this thread,I had to go back and see what he said.You Deadhead fans may find this interesting.

This is from "Broadhead Performance" by Dr. Ed Ashby and is basically a summary of the Natal Province,South Africa,study of 1985.This was basically a study of broadhead performance to see what worked and what didn't on African game from 100 to 1000 lbs,prior to allowing legalized bowhunting there.

The Doctor says:
"Three broadheads took all we could throw at them and finished all the test undamaged.  Each gave outstanding performance.  All were fairly heavy rigid single blade broadheads.  These were the "Best of the Best".  One was the old Ben Pearson Deadhead.  No longer in production, it performed flawlessly."

Pretty remarkable when you consider all that has been done in broadhead design before and since.Sounds like the Deadhead does need to come back.Cool thread guys.

The rest of that write up is here:http://tradgang.com/ashby/Broadhead%20Performance.htm

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
JimB is right on with that quote, but there's more. The Deadhead not only performed flawlessly in the Natal study it has been the 'benchmark' wide-cut single blade in every test series since then. Just as for the 190 grain Grizzly, so far not a single one has failed on any tissue. They don't penetrate bone as well as the Grizzly, but none have been damaged by bone either.

I few years back a got the last remaining Deadhead blanks - broadheads that had never been beveled - courtesy of Ben Jr. Those I edged with a single-bevel and they were used in a 'same arrow' head-to-head test on Asian buffalo, against matching double-bevel Deadheads. Those test were written up in the 2004 or 2005 Updates, but the single-bevel Deadheads out-penetrated the double-bervel version on 100% of the shots; once again verifying the greater ease with which a single-bevel breached heavy bone.

Since both have been included in all testing since the Natal Study the Deadhead and the 190 grain Grizzly have to be the two most tested broadheads of all time. The Deadhead has to rate as one of the all-time great broadheads.

Ed

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
Well, down in the stash of stuff I found two of them.Not sure where or how I got them but they appear unused.
Cool....   :D

Offline LeeBishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dr. Ed Ashby:
JimB is right on with that quote, but there's more. The Deadhead not only performed flawlessly in the Natal study it has been the 'benchmark' wide-cut single blade in every test series since then. Just as for the 190 grain Grizzly, so far not a single one has failed on any tissue. They don't penetrate bone as well as the Grizzly, but none have been damaged by bone either.

I few years back a got the last remaining Deadhead blanks - broadheads that had never been beveled - courtesy of Ben Jr. Those I edged with a single-bevel and they were used in a 'same arrow' head-to-head test on Asian buffalo, against matching double-bevel Deadheads. Those test were written up in the 2004 or 2005 Updates, but the single-bevel Deadheads out-penetrated the double-bervel version on 100% of the shots; once again verifying the greater ease with which a single-bevel breached heavy bone.

Since both have been included in all testing since the Natal Study the Deadhead and the 190 grain Grizzly have to be the two most tested broadheads of all time. The Deadhead has to rate as one of the all-time great broadheads.

Ed
Wish you didn't live in Australia. I'd like to interview you about the Deadhead for the Ben Pearson documentary film I'm making.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
I went back and found that.2005 Update,Part I.Very interesting reading.

Offline grizz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
Wish I had a bucket full, not to trade, but to use!
mike

Offline LeeBishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2011, 04:05:00 AM »
Someone here is bound to have a buddy with a machine shop with a laser cutter or CNC machine.

The patent for the Deadhead has long since expired. You can make your own. Patents only last for like 14 years.

Start making them  :)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2011, 05:56:00 AM »
Does the Abowyer Whitetail on page 1 not look like a sinle bevel Deadhead???

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Lee, PM sent.

Ed

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
Abowyer whitetails were very similar to deadheads, but are now discontinued. I traded mine off as I prefer a double bevel and couldnt get their funky double ground points resharpened to my liking.......Now if they re-introduced it as a double bevel I'd probabley buy a dozen.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »
I have 10 of them unsharpened, mounted or ever used.  If someone wants to give me 25$ a piece for them I will sell in a heart beat.
Bob Urban

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
I am stopping at Abowyer tomorrow and will report back tomorrow with any info about the Whitetail.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©