3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How Do WOOD ILF Risers Compare to the Metal Ones??  (Read 145 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
How Do WOOD ILF Risers Compare to the Metal Ones??
« on: September 20, 2011, 03:04:00 AM »
Hey all,

That thread the other day I posted about ILF risers got me thinking.  I have never really considered owning a wooden laminate riser.  I don't know why I didn't, I just didn't.  One year at the WV TRAD expo, Lancaster had a truck there and I got to handle the Pinnacle.  I thought it was a fine looking riser and didn't have anything against it.  But every time I would go looking for my ILF riser "wish" list, I would never have a wooden one on there.

Well after seeing the new TT Apex 17 inch riser and then going to the Morrison, Dryad and Zipper sites, I think I might be leaving out a segment of equipment that might be really, really nice.  The ones I saw were beautiful.

I would most likely be looking for a 17 or 19 inch riser.  Can you all tell me a bit about how they differ in feel and shooting characteristics than the metal ILF risers of the same size?  Would the metal risers be heavier than the same sized wooden riser?

Anything you care to add about these wooden risers would be helpful and much appreciated.  Like I said, I have never handled one except for that 30 seconds with the Pinnacle in WV.

Thanks for your time.

Nalajr

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How Do WOOD ILF Risers Compare to the Metal Ones??
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
TTT one time.

Anyone?

Nalajr

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
I have a 13" Mini Metal Morrison, cool riser, decent weight perfect hunting riser.

I also have a 17" Cocobolo/Bacote Morrison riser, I'd sell you the Mini Metal before I'd even let you look at the 17" wood riser.

Just me but the wood "feels" better, balances great and does everything the metal one does without the weight. Plus hell it looks better too.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline jon boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
Go with the wood.  The are warmer in your hand and prettier to look at when you are hunting or just shooting.  That TT Apex looks like a very nice riser.  I have a Morrison 15", but am thinking of getting an Apex to lower my draw weight instead of lighter limbs.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
I like the wooden one, but really can say thre is no comparison as far as shooting, my Belcher just flat out is better than any wood riser I have shot. I can shoot it off the shelf as well as off an elevated rest. I have a new Dryad 15"er I would sell ya. Shawn
Shawn

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
I just got a 17" wood Zipper and after having 2 metal risers I'm not going back! The wood riser is just like my Zipper standard that I love. Now I have the "feel" that I like and can use any ILF limb I like.....could not be more pleased!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
I've had both. Go with the wood. Dryads are great.

Offline Bluenose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
I purchased a 17" Zipper Standard wood riser this summer and a set of Belcher long recurve limbs.  Great combination and two excellent bowyers to deal with.  The wood riser just feels right and I can't wait to use the bow for hunting whitetails.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©