3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shooting accuracy  (Read 317 times)

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
shooting accuracy
« on: September 20, 2011, 06:31:00 AM »
I guess what makes me shoot trad is that it is so much harder than with the compound bow and sights, release, peep, and kisser.

I have been shooting about 3 times a week since the snow went off in APril. I just pick up the bow and will shoot from yards out to 25 yards. I was feeling that this is the year I will finally feel good enough to take the checkmate firebird model bow hunting. But yesterday was just could not hit the full side of a barm let along a deer. I got so mad, that I went back and tried 3 under, and got great groups at 20 yards but just did not feel that I locked in. SO I put the bow away went out for a few hours with the wife and came home and tried agin with my old spilt finger draw and did not bad. Do you all go thru these what I have to call as head games with the bow. Later today I am going to shoot the 3D course to see how I do.
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: shooting accuracy
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 06:35:00 AM »
Head games with archery? Abso-luddy-blutely! A bad session can be caused by stress and tiredness, too.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 06:38:00 AM »
Yes I go through it every now and then. Can lose focus, or be a little tired. I think of it this way. Ever watch a big league pitcher. Burns up the plate for 3 innings then all the sudden he can't hit the corner or he completely throws one away. It is hard to keep up such accuracy all the time expecially without a sight to tell you that you are on.

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
I just went through it last week....then seemed to 'get it back' when I tried again a few days ago.

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
If you can't focus your arrows will stray. Oh, the love/hate relationship with trad.   :D
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
All the time.  Every fall I struggle with the same issue you are.  I shoot my recurves almost exclusively pretty much year round, but often hunt with the compound simply because I have trouble being consistent with my recurve.  It doesn't matter to me on targets, but it does on things that bleed.  If it was just a miss, that I can handle, it's the bad hits I want to avoid.    

I hunt two distinct types of terrain, open prairie and dense woods.  I usually let the range of shot opportunities dictate which bow I take.  A died-in-the-wool trad hunter might look down on me for having one foot on the dark side of the fence, but oh well...

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
I say shoot what you are comfortable shooting.  If you feel more confident shooting a compound while hunting, do it.  I shoot longbows all the time, hunting and targets.  But if I wanted to shoot a compound hunting, I would.  

As far as a bad day, everyone has them.  The key to fixing a bad session is to stop before you get irritated and look at your form.  See if you can feel what you are doing differently.  Think about how you are gripping the bow.  Just give a little self check.  It will usually clear up problems.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
One of the reasons I practice with just one arrow. I talk myself thru the shot, then shoot. I go get the arrow and move to a different spot and repeat. When I shoot for a 3 or 4 arrow group I sometimes just repeat the mistake if I made one. I never have long sets of practice...10-15 minutes, then go do something else and them come back later. This whole thing is 90% mental and if your your having problems it can make you 100% crazy!....LOL!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
when i'm sinking it up i get up close to the target make 1 or 2 good shots and hang it up till the next day.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
always leave a practice session with a good shot.i compete at all levels of 3d and use to get so up in my head that id do horrible,now i show up have fun and usualy do really well..i carry my ilf setup till aug.then its time to pull out my black widow..i shoot both everyday at least 100 arrows,and i still get frustrated
i like biscuits

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
I usually shoot with a Damascus glove, but it's been hurting my fingers lately. So I switched back to my neet glove which is thicker, now I can shoot very well with this glove but something was missing. So one of the local guys here gave me an old but new tab to try out. He said this tab was made many years ago but he didn't use it.

Well I tried it out and at first I did have trouble with it, but what I did was to figure out what I was doing wrong and fix it. Sometimes one has to be able to break down there shot and analyze it step by step. What I do is I get out my Hoyt Pro medalist  which is a light # pull bow, probably around 37-38# at my draw length. As I shoot it I go through every aspect of my form and I always find the part that is causing my poor shooting. I then get my regular bows out and have no trouble zeroing in on what I want to hit.

Hope this helps.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
Bill,

I have those days frequently, usually when I am stressed. Best thing to do is stop shooting and walk away.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
Its always in the release and the bow arm some days that hand just wants to go out there . Ive went back to a static release and it has helped me alot, I'm much more consistent. The best shooters I know shoot 3 under.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
SW Bill,

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but if you've been practicing since April and you're still not confident in your accuracy with your trad bow, it could be the poundage you're shooting might be "slightly" too much for you. In other words, overbowed. What poundage are you shooting?

Many compound shooters shooting 70# bows with 80% letoff are used to holding only 14# at anchor.

When a compound shooter wants to try a trad bow, they think shooting a 45#-50# bow is going to be a piece of cake. Some can handle the poundage, but many of them get a rude awakening since they have to hold three times the weight at their anchor point. They have trouble after shooting 20 arrows. Their arrows are all over the target.

Sometimes, if you've been shooting since April, it might not be a "head" game. Just food for thought since no one has mentioned this.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
If you are interested in hunting practice shooting one arrow at a time will improve focus and is a lot more meaningful anyway.

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
Night Wing has a good point, but it works both ways. I am over bowed for shooting 3d for sure - 59#. I've had my bow for a long time, and am strong enough to shoot it with good form

At most small 3D tournaments I go to I usually at least place pretty high if not win, and the people who do beat me are ALWAYS shooting 40 to 50 pound bows, usually with lighter arrows as well.

For me, lack of focus which causes me not to reach alignment and thus miss my spot, but if I pick up a lighter bow and shoot it for a while the occasional lack of focus results in a poor release which causes me to miss my spot. It's easier to have a consistently good release with a heavier bow for me.

So no matter what weight you shoot, you can manage to miss due to lack of focus - may not be for the same reasons...

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
Great point & observation Bill. Everyone (even cmpndr's) have wrecks. Get your level of confidence up to par & go with it. The more you experience the more confident you'll become. Have fun first.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Red4arm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
Happens to all of us, more so early in your trad life, but it's in your head. One arrow at a time, good advice and good exercise.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
I have things like this happen with my compound too. Shoot good most of the time, and then not so good(flailling,or lack of backtension). I do shoot just one arrow when practicing with my trad bow. My accuracy and focus are better.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
plain and simple; dont over think the shooting process. If you are determined prior to shoot great, that will throw you off. Over thinking will most certainly take away from your form.At that point you will never hit the mark on the target, but you will hit the frustration mark.JMHO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©