3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shooting accuracy  (Read 316 times)

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shooting accuracy
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
On days like that, try standing up close (5yds) and shoot until you get really good shots. Then take a step back. Work your way back to about 15 yards, maybe twenty if you want. I find that it helps me 'dial in' if my mind isn't in the game. And if you've been doing well during a session and suddenly arrows are all over the place, step up close, take one last good arrow to boost your confidence, and then pull the pin for the night. End on a good note, and don't make bad habits by shooting too many arrows.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
Shooting any bow requires concentration. As great as Byron Ferguson is, he said in his book that he never shoots more than three arrows in a row when practicing because that is as long as he can maintain absolute concentration.

I try to stick to that too, but if I am struggling, I shoot one, walk up and pull it, walk back and shoot it again. I focus on making each shot count. Keys for me: pick a spot, focus on the spot, anchor, increase back tension until the shot happens. Concentrating on back tension keeps me from plucking the string (my major bad habit).

Even compound shooters need to practice and need good form. I've seen too many "just a little back" and spine shots on TV to think otherwise.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
Sometimes I just have to get away from my bow for a while(couple or a few weeks) and when I get back to it, I can focus on the shot much better.

Also, I like what Bjorn said above. I used to go out in the yard in the late evening and climb up in the ladder stand I had out back and pretend I was hunting and after about 10 minutes or so, I would turn around and act like I just noticed a buck appear out of nowhere(my 3D target at 20 yards). I would then proceed to slowly move around for a shot and pick a spot on the "deer" and take the shot. I would only take ONE shot no matter how good or bad that shot was. Then I would get down out of the tree and pull my arrow and do the same thing again the next day. I would sometimes work on my shooting form on another target on days when I had extra time.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 06:23:00 AM »
My thanks for all the help...I have two bows setup one is for working on form and it is 42 lb checkmate and the other is the hunting bow a Martin hunter at 50 lbs. I am now going to just one arrow and then move back if the shot is good, if not were I wanted it I move back to 5 yards and start over. I also am shooting the 3D at about 15 to 20 yards and that is one arrow at each target. I shoot the compound at 58 lbs, and also seem to use it more for the hunting than the recurve unless I am sitting in this one ground blind that if I get a shot it will be less than 15 yards at the most. It is a heavy brush funnel to a open pasture and also some old apple trees.

My thanks again
Bill
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Can Hahaka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
Interesting point "move to 5 yds.". When I practice I shoot 4 arrows at a time - 5 sets or 20 arrows. I also have a large cup of coffee to sip when I complete to 20 arrow set. This seems to slow me down and get back to concentrating.
When things don't go just right I start shooting with an arrow at 5 yds - then another at 8-10, going out to 20 yds. This seems to break the habit of just standing at 18-20 and flinging arrows - losing concentration. Anyway, this works for me. I shoot 125 arrows per session and 2-3 times a week.
Mississippi Lake Longbow 55#@28"
Woodcraft Equip. 30#@28"
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

GENESIS 27:3 - Now therefore, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field and take me some venison.

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
I find it very hard to maintain focus on a single target for very long. When I get in one of those ruts you mention and have lost my focus, I immediately switch to stump stooting or moving targets. This works very well for me.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
When shooting's bad I take a rest or shoot for form or muscle exercise without a tought(or concern) on the grouping.
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©