3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Goose feathers  (Read 300 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Goose feathers
« on: July 08, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »
A friend of mine stopped by yesterday, and said he was gearing up for our nuisance goose season that will open in about six weeks. He said he would save me the wings, how do the goose feathers work out for fletching compaired to turkey feathers? Him and his buddy shoot a lot of them so i could have a good supply.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Goose feathers
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
James they work well, they are not as durable as turkey feathers though. I always have at least one arrow with goose feathers in my hunting quiver since they are water proof. I have one of the Great Northern feather grinding systems and grind my own. You can also send them to Raven Arrows and have them ground. You can even dye them, not a lot of change but enough to make them different. You will only get about 6-8 primary feathers per wing, though some of the smaller feathers will work for smaller fletch on kids arrows. Have fun.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
They are smoother textured than turkey feathers too. he seem to hold up as well in my limited experience. And, as said above, they are waterproof. I process all my feathers by splitting the quill, trimming off excess quill etc. I then put the feather in my fletching clamp and use a block sander to reduce the quill to final thickness.

Sometimes I strip the feathers instead. Much faster, but not as easy to glue on. When glued, however, the actual vane of the feather is right down on the shaft with not rough edges.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 11:12:00 AM »
They are moulting now, so go on out to where they gather and pick up the prime ones. There are hundreds lying around on golf courses and near dryponds (pondings near buildings that control rainwater runoff). You can practice on them until the wings come in from the hunt.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Luke Vander Vennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »
Save the secondaries as well as the primaries. I have found that some secondaries are stiffer than the primaries.
Dances with Turtles

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©