3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First bull elk with my recurve UPDATED WITH NEW PICTURE -Pg. 4  (Read 11807 times)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First bull elk with my recurve UPDATED WITH NEW PICTURE -Pg. 4
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2006, 03:54:00 PM »
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2006, 03:57:00 PM »
Beautiful bull Dan. Congrats   :thumbsup:  

Elk are one majestic creature who live in a magical place, are they not?
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2006, 04:01:00 PM »
Wow, what a great hunt and bull!  That one will be hard to top next year!
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2006, 04:14:00 PM »
WOW! I wanna go hunting with my hero Dan!!!!!!  :bigsmyl:   Congrats man!!!CK

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2006, 04:39:00 PM »
Hey CK I can't be your hero you are already my hero!!! You and Mickey,and Jeff Holchin and Charlie Lamb and Guru and Doug Campbell and I guess I could go on and on and on .... . It really is neat sharing hunts and virtual campfires with all you guys and gals that share the same interests and values. I had a wonderful time catching up with everyones hunting adventures now that I am back home. I hope some day in the not too distant furture to share some real campfires with some of you guys instead of the internet variety. Maybe a Texas Sweat or maybe some TradGanger will show up in these parts? Anyway thanks for the nice comments.  Dan
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2006, 04:59:00 PM »
awesome mate awesome  :thumbsup:    :campfire:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2006, 05:00:00 PM »
Great bull Dan. I love those Black Hills. We've been there several times for spring turkey, and each time we've had many elk incounters. What part of the hills were you in?
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »
That is cool Dan!  Way to go!  The fact you did it your way, with your recurve and holding out for a good bull makes it even that much sweeter.  I hope someday to feel what you must be feeling right now.  Thanks for sharing.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2006, 08:28:00 PM »
I agree, sharing these bowhunting adventures with those who understand, is fun, almost as good as actually being there.  We liked the Black Hills when I visited last year with my family.  We stayed at the Custer state park and were amazed at the wildlife - whitetails, turkeys, antelope, bison, elk and bighorn sheep.  

That bull is gonna look good in your den!
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2006, 09:42:00 PM »
Dan, thanks for sharing, man! I closed my eyes and I was there with you!!!
Alex
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2006, 09:54:00 PM »
Great story, and one awesome elk!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2006, 09:57:00 PM »
Great Job!!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2006, 11:48:00 PM »
Nice job Dan! Always good to hear success stories from my hometown. Great elk, and thanks for sharing the story!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2006, 12:51:00 AM »
Congrats Dan! That is a great bull!  :thumbsup:
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2006, 03:28:00 AM »
Congrats Dan!

I hope everyone that wants to elk hunt reads and rereads the hunt Dan posted. It shows a lot of things that you have to do too kill an elk.
 First thing was setting a goal; can't kill the big ones if you shoot the small ones.
 But more important; Dan called in one bull; and then again; and MOVED to a better position- that most people would not have done.
 He cow called; and it worked; and he stuck with it; and did not bugle- that eliminates a lot of peoples actions ( mine on several hundred encounters).
 Then he recognised how close he was and - that it was time to set up.
 Then he set up and got ready- and when the bull came in on a different path; he adjusted to that.
 He made the shot. It hit a little back- but there are a lot of people that just plain don't shoot- even with a perfect chance like Dan had- they get all discombobulated and wait for a spot to appear: telling them where to shoot.
  He drew back far enough for the arrow to leave the bow. OK laugh; but until you have been there- you just dont know!! I had a bull stare me down for over an hour; and when I had an easy shot- I could not pull back my bow at all...   :campfire:    :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2006, 03:12:00 PM »
Brian thanks for the compliments. I have to say the only reason I was able to do a bunch of things right on this particular ocassion is that I learned from doing so many things wrong at other times. It really is great when everything comes together perfectly like it is supposed to.
   bbassi I was North and West of Deerfield Lake. I was hunting at about 7,000 feet which is pretty high for the Hills. I don't suppose that I was more the 10 miles or so from the Wyoming border.
    denny if I had to guess I would say I was about 100yds give or take from the bull when I started cow calling. The cover was nice and thick which allowed me to get that close without busting him out of there.
    Doug (Two Arrows) if you get back this way stop by my office and I will show you the rack or the shoulder mount if it is done by then. Good luck with those Nebraska deer!
     Thank you to everyone for the compliments. I guarantee this is one experience that I will never forget! I hope you all have a safe and productive fall!!!  Dan
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Lewis Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2006, 08:37:00 PM »
Congratlutions and thanks for sharing. Great read and pics  :thumbsup:

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2006, 06:44:00 PM »
Ok guys this is just a test. I have been trying to figure out how to post pictures here for awhile. I was bored today so I did succesfully set up a photobucket account and now I am going to try and post a picture. I figured I would just experiment on my old thread rather than starting a new one. The only pic I have resized appropriately has already been posted for me by Mickey so I apologize for not adding any new material but this is just a test. Here goes nothing ...IMG]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/bohuntr77/ResizeofResizeofResizeof2006ElkHunt.jpg[/IMG]

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2006, 06:46:00 PM »
Well I guess it really was nothing lol! Back to the drawing board. Dan

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2006, 06:51:00 PM »
One last try for tonight.  t.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©