3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How tough are Stingers (PIC)  (Read 357 times)

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
How tough are Stingers (PIC)
« on: September 23, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
This Magnus 150 buss cut Stinger was shot at a Bear last week at Eldon's place and was a complete miss over it's back and penetrated the barrel up to the feral and bounced out. It is still straight with a little damage to the blade.

Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How tough are Stingers (PIC)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
They are definately tough. I have had good results with them myself.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
Not to start an argument but I really don't get the design of those or any other serrated blade design like that...just less cutting surface plain and simple.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by MikeW:
Not to start an argument but I really don't get the design of those or any other serrated blade design like that...just less cutting surface plain and simple.
You should do a little more research on it. Not saying you should or shouldn't use them, but they work just fine.

Stingers and Buzzcuts are both great, tough heads. Plus, Magnus is great to deal with.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
Serrations are scary. I have a folding knife my father gave me years ago. I have to sharpen the non-serrated part often. I have never shrpened the serrated part and it is still scary sharp. I have used the serrated part to saw through saplings as I bent them slightly. My experience is that serrations are a deadly cutting design and hold an edge well.

Good to see the Stinger hold up. I have wanted to try their 150gr BHs. Now I just might.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
Thats awesome good heads for sure. I got one of my first 3pt with a Buzzcut he didnt know what hit him! Im still gloomy that they sold their traditonal line of broadheads  :(
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
Magnus is great heads!!!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
I have had great luck with Stingers.

Very well made fly great and tough as hell.

Offline Lamplighter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
I have Stinger 150's on my trad rig. I've killed afew deer with Stingers, though w/the wheelie bow. One 8 pt I shot at 10 yards looking right at me. It entered the throat, cut the aorta, went into the chest cavity and came out under the backstrap. He ran about 150 yards into a Cypress swamp. A blind man on a 21 speed bicycle could have trailed him. Funny thing, I got the arrow but the Stinger came unscrewed and fell out somewhere as the buck ran.  Right wing feathers helical. I have shot one deer with the buzz blades, but have since retired those main blades. I don't like them. I'm from the old school where we had the rubber band block example in Bowhunter ed., and I believe in the razor smooth cut denying platlets something to cling to.

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by 2Blade:
 Im still gloomy that they sold their traditonal line of broadheads   :(  
Are they no longer available? Ive been on the fence about these stingers for this upcoming season, but this thread has me leaning towards them. I mainly use the paper wheels to sharpen my heads, but I have other tools as well. How would you go about hitting the serrations?
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Lamplighter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
The serrations on buzz blades are not your normal " scooped out" serration. They are simple notches in what is otherwise a plain Stinger blade, therefore you sharpen them like if the serrations weren't there.

I will likely never use any other head. I grew up killing deer with Bear heads in the 80's. But the later heads were not quality controlled, and each differed from each other, and alot of them were not true on their axis ( ferrule). Plus for me, the ferrule seemed to get in the way of my sharpening device. So, With Magnus Stinger's removable main blade and guaranteed true on axis, it was a no brainer.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
You should do a little more research on it. Not saying you should or shouldn't use them, but they work just fine.

Stingers and Buzzcuts are both great, tough heads. Plus, Magnus is great to deal with.
I have and I've been bow hunting for 30+ years but I've never understood the engineering or physics behind a serrated blade, like I said before less cutting surface & less penetration period,why would you want that?

Yes Magnus is great I have a bunch of their heads and killed for few hogs with them.

Edit: I hope someone with a higher IQ than I comes in and backs me up.
   :wavey:
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Darren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
Thats why I love them !!

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
They are good broadheads. mine are not the serrated. I have never had any problems with them.

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »

Broke the ferrule trying to pull it out. This is the off shoulder after going through the lungs and heart. 42 lb. bow at 18yds.
Ya there tough enough.

Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by Zmonster:

Originally posted by 2Blade:
 Im still gloomy that they sold their traditonal line of broadheads    :(  
Are they no longer available? Ive been on the fence about these stingers for this upcoming season, but this thread has me leaning towards them. I mainly use the paper wheels to sharpen my heads, but I have other tools as well. How would you go about hitting the serrations? [/b]
These are still available from Magnus as compound shooters use them as well. I believe the Snuffers were sold to company in Louisianna.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 12:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by MikeW:

I have and I've been bow hunting for 30+ years but I've never understood the engineering or physics behind a serrated blade, like I said before less cutting surface & less penetration period,why would you want that?

Yes Magnus is great I have a bunch of their heads and killed for few hogs with them.

Edit: I hope someone with a higher IQ than I comes in and backs me up.
    :wavey:  [/b]
I didn't mean to imply that you weren't an experienced hunter. I've just done a lot of reading up on these heads.

I can't remember all the technical jargon, but I have seen video of the buzzcuts passing through a deer faster than a stinger so I don't think penetration is the issue. This was performed on a dead animal.

I'll see if I can find the video. I've also seen video of Mike Sohm discussing the purpose of the blades....he says he prefers them for low poundage bows.

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 01:25:00 AM »
Awesome broadheads !!!!   :thumbsup:  

Bill

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 03:00:00 AM »
Stingers are the best screw in head for the money IMO.I love em.Thiers other great heads and probably tougher heads since some are thicker these days but they are cost prohibitive on my budget.The diamond tip is the bomb and they fly superb.Its a very well made head of high quality and precision.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 03:26:00 AM »
serated heads have been killing things for thousands of years.

anyone heard of stone?
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©