3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kentucky Buck Down - Zipper Bow / Chris Surtees broadhead  (Read 2091 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Kentucky Buck Down - Zipper Bow / Chris Surtees broadhead
« on: September 23, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
Well, last night was one of the most exciting hunts I have ever had. I had gotten a few pictures of a nice 10 pointer on my trail cameras all throughout late summer and early fall. I had set my mind on him as he was the most mature buck on this farm.

At the end of last week I went scouting and found a few nut tree's that had been dropping and being used by the deer. I hung a trail camera at all three sites. At this site on my first check I was happy to see the buck I have been after. The next day I went in and hung a stand.

Wednesday night the wind was right so I went out after work and sat the stand for the first time. Nothing showed except a young 8 pointer.

Last night I had an opportunity so I went out again after work and decided to sit in another nut tree stand I had hung about 300 yards away from this site. Well I climbed aboard and got settled in around 4:30. At around 5:30 a doe downwind starts blowing about 60 or so yards away in the bush. I could not see her but knew my night at this stand was through. I was disgusted and was walking to the truck when I thought, my wife and daughter are gone so what the heck I'll go sit the same stand I sat in last night where the bucks were showing up. At around 6:00 I got all nestled in. Not expecting anything I sat back to enjoy the woods. At 6:20 I see a deer coming my way up the hill about 100 yards away. It didn't take me long to figure out it was a good buck. I grabbed the Zipper put the lower tip on my boot toe, bow in front of my face and waited.

The deer walked up about 60 yards from me to the fence to my left where my wind was blowing very close to his way. I thought any second the gig is going to be up. The wind direction held true and he turned and walked in to the nuts. I then noticed another deer coming from the same location. I could tell instantly this deer was a larger deer. While the first deer was feeding under me the second one finally made his way up to us. These two deer were very similar but from the trail camera picts I knew the second deer was a year or so older. With similar racks the first deer had a gray forehead patch and a smaller body. I was looking for the red forehead patch of the older deer and when the second deer arrived I knew it was him. They both walked around under the trees for what seems like an eternity (probably about 5 minutes). Finally the younger deers head was behind a tree and the the bigger deer turned just right with his head feeding behind a small leafy tree. I drew and turned it loose.

The VPA struck him in the left lung but very low. They both tore out of there and then there was silence.  I got down to inspect my arrow that was sticking in the ground as the trail camera snapped my picture. Good blood.

I walked to the truck and called my brother and a buddy and they talked me into going after him after I told them the arrow was covered with blood. I knew I had most likely only hit one lung. I have been on many tracking job where only one lung was hit and the little voice in my head was saying DONT GO, just wait until morning. Problem is there was a big storm coming in and I agreed to go after him.

Well we followed blood for around 100 yards then noticed a spot where he had layed and no more blood. We had jumped him. We looked for some time but then I made the decision to pull out.

Returning this morning to a soaked woods I didn't have much hope of a recovery. A buddy and I criss crossed almost the entire woods with no luck. He had to go so I went up and grabbed a burger and was pondering going home myself. After my meal I decided to go back to check one last draw. Not long after leaving the truck I looked up and spotted a deer laying on his side.             :jumper:            He had run another 150 yards or so and made his final bed.

Sorry for the long winded story. Moral of the story...One lung go to the truck. I'm sure we would have found him even after the rain 100 yards from my stand where we bumped him.

Here he was seconds before I shot

And his final resting place.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kentucky Buck Down - Zipper Bow / Chris Surtees broadhead
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
Whoa TJ, what an awesome Buck! Well Done. I knew when your title said Buck down it was a good one. You pass on bucks I drool over!

Way to stay with it. Congrats!    :clapper:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
Congrats Buddy!! A great buck!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
Great story, nice buck.     :clapper:
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
Very Nice!!!  :thumbsup:
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
Awesome TJ. So very proud of you man! Great deer and great gesture with that mojo-laden broadhead   :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
That is totally awesome my friend, congrats!! Can't wait to use my Surtees broadhead on these NY & Texas deer.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
That is an awesome story and a great buck!

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Glad that your hunt had a silver lining . . . deer recovered!
Gary Logsdon

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
:notworthy:    :notworthy:  

Congrats, that is something else....

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
man tj,  your a machine!  congrats!!

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
Congrats TJ !!!  :clapper:  

Bill

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :notworthy:   Nice Zipper also!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
Oh Yea!!!! Congratulations and thanks for sharing that.

God bless you, Steve

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
Tom, I was praying for you all day! I was stoked when I got home and read your email that you had found him!

You should be proud of the buck of course, but mostly of your perseverance in recovering him!   :notworthy:

It's days like this that make it all worth while!

Allen

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Wow great buck , congrats   :thumbsup:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
TJ, that's a great buck. Congratulations.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Congrats TJ   :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
Congrats on taking a very nice animal KentuckyTJ. Man I envy you in a good way. Keep up the good hunting. Thanks for sharing.

Tony

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©