3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coming out of the woodwork!  (Read 564 times)

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Coming out of the woodwork!
« on: September 23, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
It's funny how most of the year at work I'm just the guy in the camo hat that gets sick a bunch in Oct./Nov. but a week before season everybody has questions. I had two conversations today about bow and arrow setups(compound) and one about stand placement. My boss even asked about a string for an old Bear.

It's good to see people interested in hunting and I helped the best I could. Just wish these conversations would happen a bit earlier in the year.  :banghead:  

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coming out of the woodwork!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
That seems to be one of the big differences between regular hunters and trad hunters . Most people wait to the last minute to get things in order but most trad guys are shooting and tweaking gear all year long . As I said there are only 2 seasons in a year , hunting season and preparing for hunting season .
Greyfox54

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
I have to disgree with Greyfox54, it is not about the gear a hunter chooses, it is how committed they are to hunting. I just don't think what we shoot defines us as a hunter. Why is taking a deer with my recurve anymore special than someone who takes one with a compound. We do not handicap ourselves because we shoot trad, it is just a choice. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
Well put Shawn!!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
Haaa! Human nature.Instead of preventing,people tends to scream for help once knee deep in!  :dunno:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
I would wager to say that if a study where done looking at total prep time per equipment trad would be at the top by far. Thats just the nature of the beast. Has nothing to do with making anything more special.

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes " There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun"- Fred Bear

The handicap is the fun for me.

Rob

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
Lets face it! Trad shooters just enjoy shooting their bows,I think much much more than compounders! Therefore I agree with Fred on this one.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
I agree with Rob W. If you took a cross section of traditional Vs. Compounders. You would have more preparation on the Trad side. There are outliers in both instances but overall I think Trad guys spend more time in the woods with there equipment. Case in point. I don't have one buddy who shoots compound that does any stump shooting. All of my trad friends do on a regular basis.

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 07:08:00 AM »
I am a dedicated Trad shooter most of the year.We have a great Trad group at my archery club and personally shoot several times a week .  Now I take the compound for deer season.Trad bow is not as deadly in my hands for something as important as not wounding a deer.
Hate to leave the Dye, Hummingbird on the rack this time of year , but that is my choice.Enjoy the season guys, Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
I have to disgree with Greyfox54, it is not about the gear a hunter chooses, it is how committed they are to hunting. I just don't think what we shoot defines us as a hunter. Why is taking a deer with my recurve anymore special than someone who takes one with a compound. We do not handicap ourselves because we shoot trad, it is just a choice. Shawn
I think its more "special" because its harder.I also think we do handicap ourselves when compared to other methods of hunting.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
Never really thought much about it but you;re right Fred. See it every year myself. Too many cmpndrs get hot a month or so before season. WalMart gearhead sales go nuts. No problem as that's the advantage of sights & hi-tech. Said before, not better maybe but far luckier to physically/mentally enjoy shooting my trad longbows all year long.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
A dedicated hunter is a dedicated hunter, no matter the weapon or quarry.  Some waterfowlers spend most of the year working on decoys, blinds, dog training, etc.  Others gather up their stuff the night before opening day.  Some turkey hunters spend their off season scouting, trying to find a tighter patterning gun/ammo combo, the right decoys.  Some don't pick up their guns until a couple of days before they go out.  Some compounders are in leagues, shoot 3D, and practice throughout the offseason.  Others get ready a few days before the opener.  A fair number of trad shooters have not decided on, and practiced with, an arrow/broadhead combo a week before the first day.  Others are ready months in advance and won't change anything about their setup.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Sorry, wrong we are not handicapped by our equipment at all. If anything it makes us better hunters. No one will ever convince me I am any  better or worst hunter because of the equipment I choose!! I am sorry but I could kill deer with a spear. I worked just as hard and played with my equipment more when I was a compound shooter only. I know guys who work very hard to kill deer and some could kill them with a rock, equipment has nothing whatsoever to do with the time and effort put into getting into position to make the kill!  You knowing your equipment and how to use it, well that is called experience!  Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
You are only handicapped if you are a lousy shot, work to get close. Again we are not handicapping ourselves in the least bit. Do you think Fred and anyone else thought they handicapped themselves by shooting a stickbow, no they did not like the compound! It is only a  choice, not a handicap. If you feel you are handicapping yourself, you should not be hunting with a stick as that is not fair to the animals we hunt. They deserve better!!! Sorry but maybe that is why a lot of guys never kill anything with their sticks, they think they are handicapped by their bow!!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
Wow!   :eek:

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »
Nope still don't agree. Look at any archery competition on earth and tell me where the trad guys shoot comparatively with the wheelie bows. I can comfortably, and ethically take a 50 yard shot with a compound. I would never dare to do that with my longbow. Is it a self imposed handicap? Yup, and I do it because it makes it more of a challenge. Am I saying its more special than killing one with a compound? Yes, to me it is I have to put hours in all year long to make it count in those few seconds. I not only have to scout harder so that I can place my stand/blind closer. But instead of pulling out my bow a few times a year to reacquaint myself with the sites and get them dialed in, I have to shoot nearly every day perfecting my form, release, and programming the mental computer. Either way, good luck to anyone hunting with legal equipment.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
Being handicapped is what makes us better hunters.Its harder to get close and that's what makes us better hunters.You are handicapped compared to a high powered rifle where you don't have to get as close.As far as what is fair to animals, I'll decide that. Noone else.Its also possible that GUYS never kill anything with their sticks, aren't simply out there to kill animals.  :deadhorse:
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
well said Brian.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
Somebody got a burr under his saddle! I think we would all starve to death if we could only eat if we killed a deer with a spear. Somebody is more confident...

I suppose a handicap in golf or bowling is not really a handicap either. It's just something that comes with our choice to be in a league.

Aw, what's the use.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
When I shot C bows I spent just as much time with practice as I do now . I just love to shoot and have taken more game with the trad gear then c bow. I also have become a much better hunter as well . Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©