3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coming out of the woodwork!  (Read 565 times)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coming out of the woodwork!
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jim from Maine, now in Kentucky:

Aw, what's the use. [/QB]
:dunno:
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
Exactly but we choose to do that, how is that handicapping ourselves. Yes I do have burr under my saddle. If you feel shooting a trad bow is a handicap you should not be hunting with one, or feel it makes it harder than don't hunt with one. I would not shoot deer at 50 yards even with a compound, I strive to get close and I don't think that is a handicap at all! By the way you may all starve to death but myself and several friends I know would not the Native americans used atlatl and even spears to kill deer and Elk, as well as a stick and string. So I suppose before 68-69' all tose guys felt at a disadvantage to the gun hunters? That would of defeated the purpose and we would not of gotten our archery seasons. It was more of a challenge thats all, a good hunter is a good hunter, end of story. When I say hunter by the way I mean guys who actually kill stuff, not just sit or walk in the woods and say "Wow I had a great hunt today, I saw a blue jay and 3 squirrels!" Remember in the end, we are supposed to kill stuff! For the guys who disagree with, we than disagree to disagree, that is why when folks see us at these big shoots where compounders are present we are thought of as jokes, because of attitudes like those above. I tell the guys, we don't need to shoot 50 yards because we pride ourselves on getting close!!  Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
Horatio, whats the use?? This from a guy who has yet to kill a deer that I know of!! Drewsbow has it right!!! So Brian you say it is OK to go out and shoot at deer when someone cannot hit the broadside of a barn. I will not argue ethics as I believe everyone has their own but you should at least be proficient at shooting. Sorry but if you are not out there to kill something than by definition you are actually not hunting!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
I chose to start shooting trad because it's much more difficult (challenging) than shooting a compound or gun. Seems like a handicap of sorts. Oh well, I like shooting....stumps or animals...it's all fun.

Offline 2madjacks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
@Shawn

Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
Horatio, whats the use?? This from a guy who has yet to kill a deer that I know of!! Drewsbow has it right!!! So Brian you say it is OK to go out and shoot at deer when someone cannot hit the broadside of a barn. I will not argue ethics as I believe everyone has their own but you should at least be proficient at shooting. Sorry but if you are not out there to kill something than by definition you are actually not hunting!! Shawn
So a man's opinion is worthless in your eyes if he doesn't check his deer in with you?  I Hunt all the time with no real intention in killing.  sometimes I just hunt for peace and quiet or maybe just a little fresh air. But then... in your book I'm not a hunter, I guess I'm a looker.  Sometimes killing isn't nearly as important as watching.  

And yes I believe I puposely handicapped myself by choosing a stick and string.  Handicapped as in.. making it a tougher hunt altogether, not because I can't shot.

Offline Forrest Halley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
The first post talked about folks coming out of the woodwork at the last minute. You wouldn't believe how many people I see at the local Bass Pro buying new arrows and broadheads and even...bows with less than a week to go until the whitetail opener.
Three months ago when I decided to go hardcore and practice as much as I could there was nary a soulin the archery department. Two months ago there were a few buying and setting up bows. A month ago I could get a lane at anytime to shoot 6 days a week and was glad to find someone to shoot with. Now with a week to go there are so many people in the range and the department that you can hardly stand. Apparently preparation is a purchased item, not something hard fought for. The arrows I will take to the field this season have been re fletched 3 or 4 times in the last three months. Between outdoor practices, 3D events, and marathon indoor practices the feathers are taking a beating. Right now I am averaging about two and a half weeks on a set indoors shooting off the shelf. If I miss this year it will not be from lack of practice nor uncertainty in my gear; shooter choked.
"Great strength is not necessary to shoot a heavy bow, it is but a byproduct of the dedication required."

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
Im with Mr Fred and horatio on this one.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline cody94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
wow this thread got hairy quick. my take on it is handicaped means its harder, no pins no peep sights just instinct. i got a pal who shot a whistlepig at 50yards with his compound (give or take a few) i wouldnt do that with my recurve. i also like to go out stumping and take 3-4 broadheads but highly doubt i will see something. but there is always that if.
OH BOY IS THIS GREAT!

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2011, 03:30:00 AM »
:D
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2011, 03:54:00 AM »
Your all kind of right but I think Shawn is more right. I know gun guys that hunt all year long and when not hunting thier at the range.  And a trad bow is not a handy cap. Its just another way of doing it.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2011, 04:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
Uhhh...show me where I said its okay to go out and shoot at a deer if you can't hit the broad side of a barn.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2011, 04:27:00 AM »
From Websters:handicap : an advantage given or disadvantage imposed usually in the form of points, strokes, weight to be carried, or distance from the target or goal

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2011, 04:32:00 AM »
Also from Websters:Definition of HUNTING
: the act of one that hunts; specifically : the pursuit of game
2: the process of hunting
Doesn't say anything about killing.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2011, 04:33:00 AM »
Just for the rcord, wasn't trying to put a burr under your saddle Shawn.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2011, 06:19:00 AM »
Some great points Shawn.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2011, 06:30:00 AM »
I think about deer hunting with my bow all year, I would have to agree with Shawn on this one. In no way am I handicapped with a stickbow, in fact I have piled up more deer now than I did before heck I feel more confident with my bow than with a gun. I do see a lot of folks that put in little effort during the year and most of them get out of it what they put in it, zero! I can't wait to smell some broken cedar   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
This thread went in a totally different direction that I thought it would. I think some are confusing the definition of handicapp when used in a sporting type senerio and some would argue about anything.

I just thought it was funny how many people wait til the last second to get ready no matter what type of weapon. I would say that most of us have been getting ready since last season for this one and for that fact we may be getting a little nutty waiting. I know I am!  :smileystooges:

Good luck to everyone and take a bunch of pics!

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
Sorry Rob about the thread. I just get a kick out of these guys who never kill anything but they say they are hunters. The end of all means in hunting is to kill something, otherwise we should walk around with a camera. Why do ya carry a bow if ya have no intention to shoot anything, makes no sense to me.  I take my Llwellen Setter out to work her in the fields before season, but when season opens I carry my shotgun or bow why cause I plan to shoot the birds she flushes. Keep doing as you like, but I plan to kill stuff with my bow, not just go out and talk about killing stuff as happens a lot obviously by some guys previous statements. I am done, no more responses from me as I now see how it is with some people. Funny I looked up the definition of hunting on line and most say the end means is to take game for eating or sport, boy thats funny!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
Awful lot of assumptions going on here. We all know what "assume" means.  :rolleyes:

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
I understand it's harder to fly a jet plane than a Cessna, but I don't think that's considered a handicap for the jet pilot.

I started with stickbows in the early '60's, and bought a compound soon after they got popular in the late '70's. I bought into the "handicap" idea until had hunted with a compound for a few years and learned that even though I could hit stationary targets more often from farther away with the compound, for me it didn't translate into more dead deer. I learned that too much could happen on a shot more than about 25 yards away, and at that range and less the stickbow worked just as well, or better. Haven't hunted with a compound since the early '80's, and I don't think it's cost me any deer. If it has, I don't care.    :)
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©