3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hide glue bow fix ?  (Read 149 times)

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hide glue bow fix ?
« on: September 23, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
Has anyone used hide glue to make a bow ? Reason I'm asking is a few years back I was fortunate to have been selected by Master Bowyer Kennym to have a bow build along . I'm a mason with club hands but Kenny walked (crawled) me through it and I made a very respectable bow . I have since developed a hairline separation in the riser ( it's a 3 piece)When I string the bow you can see a sliver of daylight and when unstrung it's tight . I am reluctant to try and use an epoxy on it as I don't think it will fill the void completely . I used some hide glue on my basement stairs and it ran like water through the cracks and when it dried I couldn't get it off the steps . Now what I'm thinking is to string the bow , use a syringe to fill gap with hide glue and then unstring it and put a few clamps on it . When it dries I can file off excess and refinish riser .I really don't want to screw it up . Any help would be appreciated , thanks , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hide glue bow fix ?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
Use Epoxy or thin super glue.  The epoxy will flow easily if you warm it up.  I would use super glue.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
Fred... get some LocTite 420 and apply with the syringe. It will be permanent and solid. The hide glue might hold fine but would always be subject to moisture.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
That Charlie....he know's his chit.  :thumbsup:  You want it to be waterproof, the hide glue isn't.    I'd either use the LockTite or some Urac 185.  I fixed a BAD crack in a limb with it and still holding strong...knock on wood   :banghead:  Good luck.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
Thanks guys , I think I will go with expierience and try the LocTite , I didn't realize hide glue would be affected by moisture . I'll let you know how it turns out , thanks again , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
Your probably already doing this but it sounds like you should string the bow add the glue then quickly unstring it.
super glue is the way to go.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©