3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Colorado Bull!  (Read 623 times)

Offline NJSwampstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Colorado Bull!
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
Nicely done.  Let's hear how it happened.

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »
NICE Bull!! Don't be bashful we're all friends here.
Glenn

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
Nice bull, CONGRATS!!!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
Congrats!!Nice bull.
Good eating aswell.
A story is always nice.
Abe

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
Nice looking bull!  A few more pictures and story would be great!

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
nice bull!  congrats!
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2011, 11:22:00 AM »
Very nice!

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
Nice to have friends with skills and elk backstraps ain't that right Bill ??? It was good to finally meet you this year at Compton.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline JimL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
Alrighty then: nice bull - and turn up the addiction dial 7 notches.  Congratulations.
...by Him to reconcile all things unto Himself; whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.   Col  1:20

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
Gotta love it !

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
NIce bull!  :clapper:
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline Ranger75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »
Excellent.

Offline arrowlooser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
I first saw this bull just after Labor Day when my wife and I were checking on our fall-calving cows on our mountain property.  We split the herd and the bull went out onto the national forest.  I located him again  in a shallow draw about a week later and worked into thirty yards with his cows in the bottom and me in the middle with him up on top. I thought I could bugle him into me but he and his cows blew out the other way and when I next heard him he was about one-half mile away where he then crossed onto private property.  
A few days later, he again started bugling early one morning (back on the forest) and I tried to cut him off before he got back on the private property-got within forty yards but he still got into the private property with about twelve cows and calves.  I set up on his wallow that evening and heard him come off the private property about a quarter mile above me but not enough time to close the gap.  I came in to the area in the dark on Wednesday morning and picked up his bugle.  He was working to the northeast away from the private property and I was able to sneak within twenty yards but no shot. Then I got busted by a cow at the same time another bull started bugling from the north.  "My" bull took off to meet this challenger and I was struggling to go up the benches to try to keep up.  I was three hundred yards away when I heard him breaking the willows and alders.  As I sneaked toward him, I realized (yeah I am a little slow) that the other bull had closed with "my" bull and they were having a terrific battle about two hundred yards above me.  I started running again and finally got up on the bench where I could see their backs and butts going around in circles. I crept up to 12 yards and watched about three circling, battling rounds and could not pick out the size of the other bull with their horns locked together and their heads down to ground level as they pushed against each other. I knew "my bull" was legal so picked a spot in their fighting circle and when he came into it I  released and made a good hit.  The two bulls made three more circles when my hit bull broke and ran about thirty yards to my right.  The other bull started after him and raised his six pointed rack up to watch my bull.  The six pointer was about ten feet to the left and all there was between us was a six inch aspen and I knew I could not get around it as fast as he could.  After much head lowering and posturing he moved back about ten yards and turned broadside.  Sneaking a peek at my bull, I  saw him starting to lie down and looking back at the six pointer  saw him starting to move away to go claim his new cow herd.  I just stayed away an let my bull die with dignity.  Thanks a lot to all the trad gangers that I have learned so much from over the last years in my role as a "reader" and thanks Plumber for the arows I purchased from you last summer as one of them did the deed.  take care and good luck--Larry

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2011, 02:04:00 AM »
Excellent job and excellent story, Larry!  Wish I had a chance to meet you when I visited Bill.  He had a lot of great things to say about you!  Congrats on a fine bull.

Seems like a good year for the Black Widow recurves in the mountains of the San Juan!!    :thumbsup:
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
Larry, Congrats. Good story and stalk. Good man
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »
Great story and congratulations.

Martin

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
Fantastic Larry, well done.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
Congrats, that is a nice bull.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
Wow, that was an exciting hunt!  Congrats!!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©