3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Skinning an animal  (Read 232 times)

Offline El gran J

• Trad Bowhunter
Skinning an animal
« on: September 25, 2011, 03:13:00 AM »
I've skinned an animal or two, in my life, both domestic animals and wild game, but I've often seen people do it different ways.  How do you do it, and why?  Easier, Habit, It's how you were shown?  Curious to know?
Be Kind, Be Courteous, But always have a plan......

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Skinning an animal
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 03:47:00 AM »
Skin deer with a truck, rabbits by hand-no knife needed, coons/yotes with a winch, fox/mink/muskrats/skunks with a knife cuz they are easy, and beaver I just take my time with my knife so I dont have to flesh them. Some are trial and error, others were because its easier and faster.

Offline MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
Alltime favorite thing to clean is ruffed grouse.  Put one foot on each wing, (belly up) and pull the legs.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
I skin deer by hanging head down and use a knife. A B&D cordless Sawsall makes some of the leg and bone cuts quick and easy but if I don't have that a hacksaw with a coarse blade will do.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
I always skin deer head up. Lets me remove all quarters easily and keeps anything nasty that still maybe around the pooper down away from everything.

Also I make a small knife hole when rolling down hide and place a hardwood dowel through to pull down.
Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
It all depends on what type animal,whether the skin is to be used and where I have to skin it.

Furbearers going to fur market are skinned according to what the fur buyers want.Most are cased but there are exceptions.

Antelope and deer that I can get the truck to and lift myself,I put on the tailgate and skin one side,roll it over,skin the other,gut and haul to the butcher whole.

Bears and other stuff taken back in the hills,I skin on the ground.Skin one side,roll,skin the other,then quarter for hauling on a pack frame.

Animals meant for taxidermy may be skinned differently,depending on the situation.I prefer large animals cut down the belly and smaller animals cut dorsally.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
I skin deer both head up and head down, I prefer head up as I think it is easier to get around shoulders and legs joints that way. I use a knife to do the fine work on all small critters! Shawn
Shawn

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
We skin deer/hogs head down. Don't gut them either. A few cuts and we're still able to get the loins without all the mess. I use a knife for everything except for snapping the leg and neck bones (use limb loppers for that).

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
deer i hang up by the back legs. then i cut around the ankle area in th ehind legs and cut all the way up the leg. after that just pull and cut until its to the head and then cut the head off
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
on squirrel i cut around the body mid section  then cut the tail and around the legs. then i step on the tail and pull up then i grab theother half of the skin and just pull it and cut the head off.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
I do it the same as TxAg. When you're done there's nothing but skin, half of 4 legs and a ribcage with all the guts inside.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©