3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The elk jinx continues  (Read 294 times)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
The elk jinx continues
« on: September 25, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
With cow tag in my pocket, I had a few days to try and find a cooperative cow. The area of the Bighorns that I was hunting is so dry that it is virtually impossible to walk quietly, so my plan was to find a spot and stick with it. For two days, I sat on an elk trail intersection, watching the pine squirrels with little else moving in the forest.
Yesterday, while sitting quietly on another heavily used trail, I was treated to the sight of a big 6 point bull calmly walking down the path to within 25 yards of where I sat. He stopped there, testing the wind, which must have given him an idea that all was not well; I guess he didn't know that I only had a cow tag. Anyway, he stood stationary and let me admire him for about 30 seconds before he turned and walked away the same way he came, and out of my life.
I was going to hunt today, which was to be my last day to have a chance this year, but on my way back to camp last night, the smoke and orange glow from a fire just to the west of my camp made me decide that I didn't want to tempt fate; with the tinder box conditions in the forest, if the wind came up, the fire could jump the ridge between us and I would be in serious trouble, so I packed up and left. By the time I hit the main road from my camp, the western sky was filled with smoke from the fire. I learned when I got to town that this fire was supposedly a 'controlled burn'; who is nutty enough to have a controlled burn in an extremely dry time in the forest? I suppose it was just another sign to me that elk steaks aren't destined to be in my freezer for yet another year.
I had 8 days to hunt elk this year; in those 8 days I saw 4 bulls, three of which were 6 points and definitely wall hangers. Of those, I could have had shots at two of the 6 points, so I guess lots of folks would say I had a good year. But, the jinx continues for me; many years now of seeing either no elk, seeing cows when I had a tag for a bull, or now having a cow tag and seeing only bulls.
A line in one of Mark Baker's songs says, "but I'll keep on trying", and I guess I'm pigheaded enough to be back after these elusive ghosts come elk season of 2012. They drive me nuts, but  there is nothing like being around them in the great places that they live. Just wait 'til next year!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The elk jinx continues
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
Pat I'm sorry to hear someone else has the same luck with elk that I do. This was year 24 for me without elk steaks. It gets frustrating for sure. But I'll be back out at it next year, if I'm able too. I fact I didn't even do a thread on the second adventure this year I was so bummed. Hang in there.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »
I,m sorry about your jinx guys but half the fun is in the chase.I love hunting them they are majestic creatures.FWIW they hade my number for 12 years or so but now they just seem to find me.I hope it turns around for you guys soon.

We wait all year for such a short window of oppertunity and it ends all to soon.
Jeff Couture

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
A few pics from yesterday.

And a look at the 'controlled burn' that got me worrying about sticking around last night....

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
My freezer is empty agian this year too. I had a great hunt this year but I was always a inch away. Agian I'm researching tag soup recipes.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
Believe me Jeff, we know the fun is in the chase   :)   otherwise we wouldn't continue going. We are blessed to hunt them every year for sure. It would be the same if you never brought a deer home in that amount of time, ever. I'm pretty sure it would wear on you a little. I think Pat wanted to vent a little, as we all do from time to time. Great pics!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
So far for me, the elk hunting has been tough as well.   I feel your pain, Pat!   I'll "keep on tryin" as I still have some time.....and I can at least kill a bull or cow, if I can find either.  

This year I've had to visit some areas that I have'nt hunted for a decade or more, and the wolves and fires have sure changed things.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
We'll celebrate our empty freezers and memories of hunts gone by together my friend... tag soup is on the menu for both of us, though it sounds like you had a memorable hunt as well.
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
man, you may not have filled, but sounds like ya had a great hunt anyway!  nice pics too!
is it September yet??

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
Been at it since 1998, still eating elk tag soup, so I can understand your pain!  Living overseas for the last 5 years hasn't helped, but hope to notch a cow tag in the late season while home for the holidays.  Keep at it, it's worth being in the mountains no matter what happens!

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
There are no bad days Elk hunting, just being in the Mountains this time of year is a blessing.

I just got back from 10 days in the High Country had bugling Bulls all but 2 days and saw Elk 6 of the 10 just couldn't close the deal. Nothing like it !!

Looking forward to next year already, hope to have some Trad Gang buddies to share Elk camp with.!..    :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
Hang in there Pat, it will happen for ya! You'll be able to "vent" on some whitetails and turkeys soon!
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
Centaur and Steadman, I feel you brothers

Maybe we need our own elk anonymous club EAA (Elk Addict's Anonymous). High my name is Jack and it has been 15 years without an elk.

But GOD I LOVE hunting them.

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
i feel your pain too...just got back from 16 days worth...maybe ill tell the story after the season is over...still have through the 30th

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
Sorry it did not turn out better, but thanks for posting the story and pics. Hang in there, you will get one.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
Always find a positive , you got to spend a week in places most of us only dream about . I was told that in most western states hunters only have about a 14% success rate . Look at it this way next time you go your odds are gonna be better . Your time will come I'm sure , glad you enjoyed the expierience , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »
Greyfox,
You are right that those of us who live in the Rockies are truly blessed. If it is between hunting elk forever and not getting one and having to drive on the Jersey turnpike or Interstate 95, I will be in the woods unsuccessfully looking for elk every time. But it would be nice to have another elk steak taken by my own hand sometime.

Offline Weasel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
Centaur, it's been 20+ years for me as well, so you're not alone. Had a real close call this year, but couldn't close the deal.  All of you guys are right - it's great to have the privelege to hunt them, and I had an outstanding time this year, but I REALLY want some antlers on the wall and steaks in the freezer!    :wavey:  

Jerry
I have a free roaming, ranging mind -- sometimes it reports back to me...
---------------------------

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
Just the mental image of a Bull like that giving me 30 seconds to admire him from 25 yards gives me a thrill. You fellas that get to chase them in that wonderful country are surely blessed.

Pat, your time will come no doubt. Savor the anticipation of next years hunt.

Your Thunder Child sure looks at home there!

Thanks for sharing!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Mark Zagrzebski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
Just want to tell you guys to never lose hope.  I had a pretty good elk jinx going myself.  My first 8 trips out for elk with a bow was unsuccessful.  My ninth attempt was with a muzzleloader and was successful with a 5x5 bull.  My last two years was with a longbow and I was successful with a 6x6 and a 5x5.  I have taken an elk now three years in a row.  I think having it take so long made success that much sweeter.  Hang in there, you just never know when the big break is going to come.  Also, those unsuccessful hunts were still some of the best camping trips I have been on.

Good luck to all,
Mark

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©