3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why aren't all hunters hunting trad ? POLL  (Read 1312 times)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
Why aren't all hunters hunting trad ? POLL
« on: September 25, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
There was an interesting thread going on that sparked my curiousity.This will be my 4th season of hunting of any kind.I have been working really hard in the places that I have permission to hunt, but have yet to shoot a deer.I have gotten close quite a few times but have made some rookie mistakes. I chose to use a longbow to hunt with because I thought it would make me a better hunter, having to get close and to learn the ways of deer.I know my time will come, hopefully this year.I love this type of hunting.So here are my questions:
Am I hunting because I haven't killed anything yet?
Why are trad hunters such a minority?
Thanks for taking the poll.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why aren't all hunters hunting trad ? POLL
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
I think the main reason more people don't shoot trad gear is because they don't know much about it, and have become convinced somehow that it isn't effective.

Also, traditional gear is somewhat less accessible - its not available in most stores up here, other than a few old recurves in the corner and some cheap finger tabs. Unless you're willing to shop extensively online for your stuff, you're going to be disappointed in the ability to find traditional bowhunting supplies.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
Other shooting weapons are better known and (appear to be) more effective. Trad archery has an intimidating learning curve for some.
It is all I have hunted with.
I went 3-4 years before my first kill, killing is a very small part of hunting.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jake Diebolt:
I think the main reason more people don't shoot trad gear is because they don't know much about it, and have become convinced somehow that it isn't effective.

Also, traditional gear is somewhat less accessible - its not available in most stores up here, other than a few old recurves in the corner and some cheap finger tabs. Unless you're willing to shop extensively online for your stuff, you're going to be disappointed in the ability to find traditional bowhunting supplies.
What he said plus with a compound you can get all tuned up and be hitting pie plates at 50 yards a week before season and if you want to do that with trad gear it takes dedication and most don't have that in them.

Edit: Not to mention they don't even have to tune it,the shop where they bought it will do that for them.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline bryan r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
I think Jake and Mike nailed it... In today's "gotta have it now" society, few people are willing to put in the time and effort required to effectively shoot traditional archery.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
The poll results speak for themselves.

Trad is just one step further in making the hunt challenging and unique.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
I have a friend who hunts only with a compound; this year he shot a huge moose at a range I am not even going to mention here, because to me it was WAAY to far, even though he got the moose with a quick kill. He has killed 100 plus big game animals with his compound, so he is certainly no rookie. After the moose, he says that next year he is going to revert to a recurve, because I think he sees the compound as just too easy at his skill level. I think that many good hunters with a compound will eventually decide that they need a bigger challenge and will come to more traditional equipment. Knowing this guy's drive and skill, I'm sure that he will be more satisfied with the overall hunting experience when he hunts with the recurve. And I doubt that he will go hungry.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
To many "Hunters" have the gotta get one syndrome. Hunting with traditional gear makes that just that much harder. I also hunt with firearms and the last few years have spent much more time with a recuvre or longbow in my hand. I'm not successful but I enjoy myself.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
i think alot of it is what everyone sees on tv...
i like biscuits

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
You are hunting if you have not killed anything yet, but that is the main goal of hunting, not to go make buddies and look at nature, if that were the case we would all carry cameras. Also, the poll is skewed I believe as many guys have not hunted long with trad bows and should realize it is no harder to kill deer with a stick and string than a compound, the only thing that makes it harder is getting closer not the fact we shoot stick and string. I just get mad because guys use the fact that we hunt with trad equipment as an excuse for not killing stuff instead of saying I have a hard time getting close enough for a shot, they blame the equipment. Shawnh
Shawn

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
One big advantage trad bows have over compounds is that they can be shot over the shoulder, horizontal, or canted vs perfectly upright. That can definitely help in certain situations.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
I think the comments by everyone have been right on.

As for me, I enjoy shooting my two recurves because of the simplicity of a recurve over a compound.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
The first question should be obvious if you hang around any younger people who bowhunt.

1. A compound is easier to master than a traditional bow.
2. Compound is faster by far and flatter shooting.
3. Compound hunter think they can hit game at much longer yardages.
4. Compounds are the latest and greatest and offer scads of doo-dads and accessories for them.
5. Compounds have wild color strings and cables.
6. Compounds are what the TV heroes use.
7. Compounds are coooooool.
8. You don't need to practice very much with a compound.
9. Compounds obsolete themselves almost every year so you get your buying fix upgrading yours.
10. No self respecting bowhuntress would use anything but a compound.

Seriously, this is how they think. Just ask them.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
I definitely agree that the goal of hunting is killing the animal, but its not the only goal. I also think we are splitting hairs here Shawn. Getting closer IS the hard part, but we have to get close because of the stick and string. I suppose we could get just as close with a rifle or a compound, and maybe thats your point, but we don't have to. With a stick and string we have to.I can't blame my eqipment. I have some really good equipment. I blame my lack of experience.I'm definitely close and have no excuses except needing some more time. I'm in no hurry however.Just being in the woods is good for me. To each his own.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
Killed plenty w/compound & longbow. Prefer the longbow because the compound was no longer fun. It was very boring & no more a challenge. Near gave up archery altogether. Owner of Viking Archery put a lb in my hand & in 15 minutes I was home again, rehooked on lb's only since near 35 years ago. No better than any hunter, just luckier to hunt w/what I enjoy most.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
The times I have been outraged is when I help young hunters get all set up, show them how to sharpen their broadheads, teach them how to shoot, and help them with their hunt. Then find that they don't practice, did not sharpen the rest of their broadheads, start chasing animals around like they are shotgun hunters and end up blaming me when they hit a deer and could not find it. they then declare that their stuff is no good, go out buy compound gear and arrows and then immediately think they are superior beings.

Offline Louutah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
The same reason so many hunt with modern "muzzleloaders"....which are basically a one shot .270 with ranges out to 300 yards, a far cry from a traditional patch and ball muzzleloader that I think of when I think smoke-pole.
Shrew SS Gold 51#@28
Bear Montana 60#@28

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
A compound is easier. Flat out my humble honest opinion.
Less work.
David M. Conroy

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »
When we had to share seasons with the patch and ball black powder group, they were civil polite and safe. The inline crowd is a different breed, pushy, mostly ride around, will shoot at deer out in field long after shooting hours and at extreme ranges. Seems like most of the ones around here also shoot compounds or come from the shotgun seasons thinking that they can get the big bucks before the bowhunters get them.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
As a guy who's used both compounds and trad bows I can say with certainty that a compound is easier to shoot (it has sights).  But, that's doesn't mean that the shooter is not a good HUNTER.  Remember, being a HUNTER does not specify what weapon you use, only how you use it.  HUNTING is more a mentality than a method.

With that said, there's also trad shooters who are very 'snooty' against compound hunters.  I don't find most of us trad guys are brand miopic, because there are so many different kinds of equipment in trad bows including all kinds of custom bows.  But, there's lots of trad guys out there who look down upon compound guys b/c they think they are not HUNTERS.  Most of the compound guys I see at the range are amazed that I hunt with a trad bow in today's day and age of technology.

I know my reply is long winded and perhaps may offend some, but it's the honest truth.  Remember that HUNTING is a mentality, and that even a compound guy can be a great HUNTER.  The ultimate goal of hunting is to take an animal, so if you require a compound to do so, please by all means, do just that.  I won't look down on you, many of us started with compounds or at least have dabbled in them.
>>>--------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©