3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why aren't all hunters hunting trad ? POLL  (Read 1313 times)

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why aren't all hunters hunting trad ? POLL
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
Sure you're hunting if you haven't killed anything.  Otherwise it would be called "killing".

As far as why not trad equipment: It's hard, takes more effort, has less chance of success due to limited range and most hunters are unwilling to use their precious free time for something with a lower chance of success.

Most disgusting thing I've seen on TV lately was Hank Parker's son, on his TV show, jump out of a pick-up truck his wife was driving after she spotted a buck and take six steps then shoot the deer.  We call that "road hunting" hereabouts and it's only one step removed from jacking deer.  This was after he spent a day spreading "C'mere Deer" bait to no success.  

We have allowed ourselves to put too much pressure on success being a large, dead buck rather than the challenge of the hunt.    :(
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Dirty Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
I gun hunted for my whole life. Shotguns and handguns here in Ohio, and rifle in wva. Bought a crossbow from a friends dad 8 years ago and used it for a year. Got a decent 8 point and a couple does. No challenge so I bought a high end compound. More does, a nice 9 two years ago and a real nice 11 last year. Have two good friends, "longbow ben" and "leatherneck" who encouraged me to try primitive hunting. Have tried a couple different bows, just got my new one today. No its not about killing at all, least to me. I love to go to sleep 20' in the air on a nice warm day. Woke up last year to find an 8 point looking up at me. This is like learning to walk again for me, and im in no hurry to make a poor shot on a deer.
Dyer defiant. 60", 55lbs@28"

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »
some people just dont enjoy it or trust that they could make that shot on a animal. Some people like being able to take longer range shots at animals and be able to do it consistantly. which is hard IMO with trad gear (for me im sure people on here could take distance shots and do just fine).  some people have injuries that make holding a good weight hunting bow back where with a compound they can go lighter, have letoff and still feel confortable with shooting animals.

long list. i feel like everyone has the right to use what ever they want and I dont really care what people use as long as they are happy.  i enjoy both trad and compounds (trad more). but i still dont feel 100% confident yet so im pretty sure my longbow will sit this season out. I want to hunt with the long bow so bad but until i can get to the point where i feel 100% confident shooting from a tree stand at a deer im not going to risk wounding one.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2011, 12:22:00 AM »
Shawn -

I too have killed numerous deer with compound and recurve.  As well as trad muzzleloader and inline.  Even several with the rifle (3 in one day last year during antlerless season).

In my opinion it is easier to kill deer with a compound than a recurve - even if they are inside of 20 yards.  The simple fact that you can draw and hold your compound for a couple of minutes makes it easier.  You can draw before the deer gets inside of 20 yards and hold until it does.  With a recurve you have to be more patient and be much more careful when you draw.  Obviously a trad bow is a very efficient weapon - but a compound is easier.

It goes without saying inlines and rifles make killing easier yet for obvious reasons.

I love to hunt no matter what weapon I am using.  If I had to pick only one it would be my recurve - why?  I don't know I just enjoy it more!

Happy hunting,

Mitch
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
I've been rehashing this one in my mind for a bit....

Trad is more difficult to become proficient in. (.)
In general order of difficulty we have..guns,crossbows,compound bow, tradbow, spear, knife, bare hands.

If I hear about someone hunting and killing a deer with his bare hands...for certain he's a better hunter than I am.

As far as I'm concerned more skilled = better.

Tradbow hunters are more skilled than compound hunters and therefore better hunters.
There I said it.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2011, 05:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Stone Knife:

The term "lazy" is derogatory  
Sorry Ben, wouldn't put you in that category. I may have made a mistake using that term in such a broad way. I just feel it requires a bit more work to get inside 20 paces of you quarry than it does to get say a 40 yard compound shot or 300 yard rifle shots. So I wont say lazy just maybe not as ambitious    :bigsmyl:  [/b]
Yeah, no worries, mate! We both shoot Hills, so we can't be too bad! As my mate Ben Maher says, it makes us cooler! And it does take more persistance and effort and luck (here we have continually-swirling winds) and frustration to get within 20 metres for a tradbow shot. One thing is for sure: Being a tradbowhunter makes me a much better rifleman in terms of stalking skills.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2011, 05:40:00 AM »
:knothead:
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2011, 06:23:00 AM »
Hang-on a cotton-pickin' minute, Good Sir! You asked the question, and one that was bound to stir passion and debate!

:knothead:  

Although really, this topic was a "dead horse beating" exercise before it began.

:thumbsup:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2011, 07:58:00 AM »
Ah! Sorry for jumping the gun, then! I didn't realise. Cheers, and good hunting!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
I picked too hard some people like 40 and 50 yard shots with a wheelie, but I really think it is the majority of people dont know that it can actually be more efficient tool at 20 yards and in (IMO).  
I do think that hunting the majority of it is the act of hunting not just killing that makes a small part of it.  You need to make a kill every so often not to get accused of trying to get away from your wife and take naps in the woods though.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
Completely agree with Shawn Leonard...I go out during hunting season to kill something...am I disappointed when I don't...somewhat, especially if it is because of a mistake I made....and that keeps me going out.....I can experience nature any time of the year with my camera....hunting season is hunting season...it's not ALL about the kill, but it is an important factor in taking a weapon out during hunting season.....whatever weapon one is proficient at.....I read a study by the PA Game Commission a few years ago, and through surveys and such, they concluded that the average ARCHERY kill shot was 17 yards...Since compounds have been allowed in PA...archery seasons have actually increased in duration.....not exactly a slam dunk with any equipment, at least here.......

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
Gotta disagree with you Zradix, respectfully of course.    :D

Better hunter because you use a stick bow?  "Better" is a dang broad word.  I know for a fact that there are thousands and thousands of "better hunters" than me that use compounds or rifles.  They've put in more time, have more experience, and have hunted tons of different animals that I can only dream of hunting.  Being a hunter is a lot more than just letting an arrow fly or pulling a trigger.  

I would say woodsmanship, experience, passion and dedication are a much bigger part of hunting than equipment choice.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
Most hunters are not willing to accept any less of a chance at killing something as to many people the kill is their success of the hunt, rather for many traditional folks the kill is only part of the hunt and the experience is what they are looking for, the kill is only a bonus.
Unfortunately there are alot of guys out there hunting with trad equipment that really have no business shooting at animals with their particular choice of equipment.  Many just do not develop the skill and capabilities to effectively and consistently place their arrows in the kill zone of a living target, much less on the practice range.  
I think many new trad converts feel some type of superiority complex by shooting traditional equipment and just don't get it and what the traditional lifestyle is all about.  However, there are many trad guys out there that do get it and are extremely effective with their chosen equipment as well as compound shooters too.  There are always different types of people in all aspects of sport but for me traditional hunting is much more then just an equipment choice, it is a way of life that totaly consumes you and something that you just cannot get enough of and always want more.  And if nothing else, traditional archery is definitely something that the more you put in the more you get out of!!
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline nomad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
Nicely said Mark
SEMPER FI

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
Hard to put what you think and feel on a short text or email.Nothing's solely black or white...Let's have fun and go hunting...  ;)
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by ti-guy:
Hard to put what you think and feel on a short text or email.Nothing's solely black or white...Let's have fun and go hunting...   ;)  
X2 ....4 more days!!!!!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
I just like new challenges and for me a longbow was and is just a weapon choice and a way of challenging myself. I don't particularly consider it to be a lifestyle. I don't worry about what others think.
I am out there to enjoy myself and put meat in my freezer. If someone else has a much fun with a compound as I do with my stick, Good for him! If you just enjoy shooting stumps and watching animals and sunsets Great! Good luck to everyone, hunt safe and have fun. C'mon Saturday!!
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
Great conversation.

I think most guys are conditioned not to trust the inexactness of "instinct." There is somethign reassuring about sights, and of course, they can see their accuracy on a measured range out to 80 yards or so. I was one of those guys. I started out with no sights on a compound and didn't have the time to shoot every day so I got pins and started shooting 3" groups at 50 yds with boring precision.

But that accuracy did not translate into the field.

I am more accurate now with my recurve in a real live hunting situation than I was with my compound because I don't have to judge distance and think, it's 22, no 29, no, more like 26-1/2 so that would be like just a hair below my 30 yard pin or would it be a hair above my 20, wait, which pin is that? When I start thinking like that, I miss. Now, I see it and shoot it.

But like heavy points and heavy arrows, the typical American male brain isn't wired to accept that. To most guys, faster is better, flatter is better, the more technologically complicated the better is how most guys think.

But there is a huge surge toward trad and it's because whatever drove compound hunters to bowhunting is still driving them and the only place to go from where they are is to traditional tackle.

Still, instinctive shooting is a huge time commitment. It's like I'm trying to get to Carnegie Hall playing a one sting violin. Practice, practice, practice. I don't know if that's a realistic thing for a lot of people. That's why I don't have much gripe against compound shooters... unless of course their success rates cost me time in the field.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
I jumped to conclusion to fast. I would have to agree with Lee Viv. Its partially what they grew up around and partially the amount of time the have to get efficient with their particular weapon. I'm guilty of thinking less of some compound hunters, I don't like to admit that. I just need to be happy they are hunting and taking care of the outdoors. I just don't like it when I hear about them taking 50+ yard shots at animals. I guess I bow hunt because I want to be close to the game I'm hunting. That's a big reason I got into trad archery. I wanted to push myself harder and see what I can accomplish. I know some people are think that if you practice at long range its ok to shoot at animals at long range, I just don't agree with it. Anyways I'm done. ALL ETHICAL HUNTERS ARE OK IN MY BOOK!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by TxAg:
The poll results speak for themselves.

Trad is just one step further in making the hunt challenging and unique.
I agree 100%, except I'd word it sorta in the reverse;  wheel bows are just one step further in making the hunt easier and more like using a rifle.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©