3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What do you do when?  (Read 423 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
What do you do when?
« on: September 25, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
When the food is everywhere!

I was scouting some public land today with a fellow Trad Gang member Dozer, and found Acorns at every turn and step.

what else do you look for?  There isn't really any fields, there are many small ridges which seemed to have trails along the sides and bottoms. Also it seemed as if the deer beds were everywhere too. I could tell why they chose the specific spots to bed but there wasn't a pronounced specific bedding or feeding area.
It seemed as though there wasn't any specific patterns here, even though there probably is.

I will be taking more walks to try and figure out why the trails are where they are but.......

In the event I cant find answers in the woods,

What Kind of Funnels do you like to look for in this type of area?  Is several criss-crossing trails enough to sit in a specific spot?

any help would be great.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What do you do when?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
In times like that the best approach and better wind areas usually pick for me.

Get in there with some bino's and setup in a good vantage point. They will favor a certain tree or trail.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
Hows about Buckeyes?? Its Squirel Candy, just wondered if the Deer liked them as well??
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
Deer like them buckeyes too. Just haven't seen many around here. My favorite is beech. Seems like they stick around longer on a good beech. Maybe it takes longer to get a gut full.

Rob

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
Not sure what  buckeye is except I think I saw them in a St. Jude's auction once last year.

The wind is a good pointer, I think some of the ridges are funnels for wind.

I might mention this place is thick., Many areas, we were on hands and knees.  The only lace to glass is a wide open clear cut with waist high scrub oaks.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
Binos and high ground. Focus on the edge of the thick stuff....find where they enter and exit it. I would bet they are bedding in the thick stuff for cover...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
Jamie, We were in the Pine Bush.  Looks like it doesn't matter where you sit in there.

wish me luck!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
Spot light  :laughing:  Just kiddin this is the perfect time to look for early rub lines and hunt them.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
When there's acorns all over....look for the prefered type....White oaks!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
Do you guys notice that the red oaks drop later or are they just not doing good this year? I got a spot that was tore up last year but couldn't tell if these huge trees had nuts or not.

Rob

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
Also hunt from the fringes in, as it is late to really learn the property start on the edges and work your way in. If you can find a good high point with a big tall tree put up an observation stand. If high enough wind will not be a huge factor and you can learn a lot pretty quick. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
Rob, Most places I am used to seeing acorns are void this year so far. the 2 public parcels I have scouted have lots.

Earl, I was looking for rubs, and quite frankly was shocked I didn't see any.

Curt,  thanks. I found a lot of white oaks too.  Food all over in there. A lot of heavy looking trails with only few tracks in them. I was in there in winter and some areas were  mega highways running through.  I think its definitely a food source type area and the deer patters are constantly changing based on what's being served.

I found 3 apple trees where all reachable apples were gone and the grass is trampled over underneath. the only problem with that spot is any hiker could end that hunt in a hurry.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
Shawn,

I never thought of an observation stand.  Good advice   :thumbsup:  

That's why I love this place, Lots of experience coming together!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
Listen man,,, your gonna think Im silly but in those places I told you about, the houses are the preferred food sources. Ornamental shrubs and usually at the very least a crab apple tree. Ill put you onto a corn field when we talk next weekend but they shut some of the access areas down last year. For the most part they do a lot of browsing, kinda like ADK deer.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
When I worked 3 to 11 I spent a lot of taxpayer dollars "patrolling" the Pine Bush and kept tabs on some nice deer.It seemed to me that they did some serious traveling. Id see one in one field at night and 2 miles away the next night.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Low impact scouting and hunting.

Would much rather stay out of his bedroom since that may likely be a one time hunt and possibly soil the area.

Know there staging areas. For example: setting up well between food and bedding sources thus increasing chances of shot opportunities and providing stealthy entrances and exits.

Be both patient and mobile and hunt with intent to moving closer if required. Listen to what the deer patterns are telling you. The fringes will likely provide an improved opportunity and provide longer productive stand opportunity.

Utilize low impact entrances and exits of stands.

* Keep in mind that deer are still holding tightly to their core areas this time of year while there movements are being primarily dictated by food sources, water and pressure.

Have used this strategy successfully and on more than one occassion. Ex. Deer trails seemed to be everywhere and too plentiful to predict deer movement. Have spent a couple of hours naturally blocking trails and/or wire tying a down a small section of fence, thus creating natural funnels.

Just a few thoughts.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I found plenty of white oaks dropping but the reds have nothing on the ground.

Slowly moving into an area is why I use a climber about 80% of the time. Seeing something and moving to that spot the next day has put a bunch of deer on the ground for me but the climber is a love/hate relationship.

Rob

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
Climbers are not my favorite list, yet they have their place. A nice symetrical 12 pt P & Y deer found his head placed on my wall. Thanks to a required quick set-up of a climbing stand.
This hasn't been a one time occurrence yet I always was a little lazy in usin the climber.

My deer hunting bud of a couple of decades would never use one but commented frequently how I was able to successfully harvest nice deer from them.

I guess it helps further substantiate that the 1st time in is likely to be your best chance.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
Great advice everyone.

Izzy, I have not ruled out setting behind houses. I saw a lot of trails running into residential neighborhoods last winter.  I just need to get a better look at them yet this fall.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
I would see if I could find the soft mast. It should be pretty ripe up there, except persimmons, and the deer will want to be scarfing that up.

Persimmons are starting to show some color here, and the leaves are starting to turn and dwindle.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©