3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Assembly help  (Read 181 times)

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Assembly help
« on: September 25, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
I am new so all help is appreciated
I have a Timberhawk bow that is 28@45 so with my draw its 54@31. I have ordered Bemans 340’s classic’s. The arrows are going to come 32 inches.  Would you guys use 4 or 5 inch feathers what field tip would you put in or start out with.  What inserts?
Thanks
Hopefully you will see me as a better person today than I was yesterday..

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Assembly help
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
ttt

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
I shoot a very similar draw weight / length.. unfortunately I just got some 340's and haven't messed with 'em yet. I like 4 inch but I think you will find that as just a personal preference issue. I am going to use the regular inserts and change pt. weights until I find what weight works then see if I can use a heavier insert.
Not much help but someone will be able to get closer. Long draws are tough.
Also, guys who know what's up will want to know if the bow is center shot or what?
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
how do you know for *sure* that 340's are the correct spine for your bow and you?  are you absolutely *sure* about yer 31" draw length?  this is where a carbon test kit proves valuable.  a variety of carbon shaft sizes from 500 to 340, and screw-in field points from 125 to 250.  just about indispensable, and will get you bare shaft tuned quite well.  as long as yer form is reasonably consistent!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
I've shot 340's out of that weight bow but not Bemans and my draw is only 29".Just a different diameter shaft can change things.I can't tell you exactly but those should take a lot of front end weight.Because of your long draw length,you won't be cutting anything.All your tuning will be by changing front end weight.

I can only take a wild guess based on what I've seen but if I were shooting them,I would start with 325-350 grs of total insert + point weight.With that shaft,you will have an arrow weighing app. 750 grs.Some people wouldn't be too happy with that.

If you think that wouldn't suit you,the time to change is now,before you do anything to the shafts.You could sell them or exchange them for 400's which may need 200 or so in front or 500's that may work with the 125-150 or so.I'm just throwing out numbers,don't take them too literally.

If you decide to stick with 340's though,have some heavy weight points in the 300 class,depending on insert weight.

I cut my shafts all to 30" and do all my tuning with point weight,just like you will have to do.I find it helpful to have a wide variety of weight even lighter and heavier than I may need.I can tune very quickly this way and can test for false weak indications just by a quick point change.

Good luck with your tuning.

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
I have 400's now and cant get them to fly straight, with my draw I didn’t have to cut them they came at 31”. I am using an 85 grain tip. They are barley over the end of my rest at full draw.
When I went to Bemans site they suggested 340’s. I just don’t if a 5 inch feather is better than 4 or how much weight to start with. It seems the more I am learning the less I know..

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »
If your arrows are tuned to your bow, the length of the feathers won'd make much difference if any. As has been said, it's more of a personal preference. I've used from 4" to 5 1/2" feathers, 3 fletch and 4 fletch, and I have found that it makes almost no difference. I've kind of settled on 5" shield cut feathers, not because it makes a difference in arrow flight, but because these old eyes can see them better.

As to why your arrows aren't flying straight, well, that's a whole other topic. Your form, torquing the string, drawing shorter/longer than you think you are, how far the bow is cut from center, and so forth are all factors in arrow flight. Your bow may not draw what it is marked either, which would make your estimate of what it draws at your draw incorrect. Have you had it checked with a bow scale? Some of my bows are right on the mark, some are off by a pound or two, and one is four pounds lighter than it is marked. If yours is like that, your 400/85 grain combo could be too stiff rather than the other way around.

In any even, I agree with Rob. Order a test kit and really figure out what is going on. If you have a veteran trad shooter in your area, see if he/she will watch you shoot and look for reasons you are having arrow flight problems.

Trying to fix this issue over the internet would be akin to a doctor prescribing drugs to someone who called on the phone and said, "I don't feel well." I might just cure them, or it might cause a whole other bunch of problems.    :knothead:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
1st thank you for responding

Your bow may not draw what it is marked either, which would make your estimate of what it draws at your draw incorrect. Have you had it checked with a bow scale?
The 1st thing I did was take it to my local shop and had them tell me the poundage at my draw. it is 54 pounds, I had them re-check and its still shows 54@31.

I have asked a few guys I shot with to look; they say they look good to them. I respect them but I see it moving left to right. It might be slight but I can still see it.
I was just thinking that 5 inch feathers would be better because the arrows are 32 inch in length.my thoughts are that the arrow being longer these would help with flight. Please understand this is a new world for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©