3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead flight?  (Read 167 times)

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead flight?
« on: September 25, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
I've had my tuning down for some time now, but recently I've started developing a nock left condition when shooting BH's compared to FP's. They still impact in the same spot, but are occasionally stuck in the target nock left 10 degrees compared to FP's.

I'm not going to make any changes this close to opener. especially since I'm hitting where I'm looking, but thought I'd at least see what some others think..

My gut says its inconsistency in release/form. Cuz when I'm shooting good this condition does not occur very often. Bareshaft tuning proves that I'm where I need to be.

Is this something that might be "tuned" out. Or is this just a form issue?

RH Bear K-hunter 45#/28" drawn 29-29.25. 2018 legacy cut 30.125" with 150gr heads.

Any thoughts, or experience?

Best regards,

Brian

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead flight?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
If it only happens occasionally, I think it's inconsistency on your part.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 08:00:00 AM »
Broadheads are harder to shoot with consistency, and sometimes it shows.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
Most likely dragging a finger once in a while...
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
does sound like a form issue.  put on more and/or larger fletchings to help out.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
I think it is probably a form issue also but you say that bare shafting proves that you are where you should be.Actually,bare shaft testing is used to tune as close as possible,then broadhead testing is the ultimate test if you are tuned 100%.Some people skip the bare shaft testing and go directly to broadhead shooting.Tuned is when the broadheads fly like the fletched,field point arrows.

The fact that yours happens only occasionally,makes it sound like form but you may also not be 100% tuned with broadheads and the broadhead magnifies the issue.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
Rob's on to something there! Broadheads do slow the rotation of the arrow down causing erratic flight sometimes. Since I'm the primitive type, my fletch is wrapped with thread only. Allows me to ajust or add more helical as need for broadhead.You would be surprised how well that works when using natural materials for shafts.

So I would add larger fletching as Rob suggested, and perhaps a touch more helical, and see if that helps. Fun part, is playing with this stuff....Art

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
Thanks gents.

The BH's still hit the same as FP's just nock left. I have no dicernable left right condition with bare shaft.

I already shoot 5" shield cut with as much right helical as I can get.

Its probably just the "few days before season mind games"

Really time to stay focused on the shot sequence and anchor to keep the confidence up heading into season.

Thanks, and good luck to all!

Brian

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
Mark em to see if it the same shafts every time. Broad heads can be slightly out of alignment.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »
I shot my broadheads for the last time before hunting, yesterday. I culled two of the 10 because they seemed to be less accurate than the other 8. There may be nothing wrong with them, but it's a confidence builder for me. I know that the 8 I hunt with will shoot where I look every time if I do my part.

My shafts are all marked so that I can identify one that I'm not satisfied with.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
You are good to go!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©