3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Found a scrape today.  (Read 199 times)

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Found a scrape today.
« on: September 26, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
My cousin Frank (FAV 52 here) and I put up a couple stands today and found a scrape about 50 yards from his stand! This is the earliest either of us can recall seeing one...hope it is a good sign!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Found a scrape today.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 05:54:00 AM »
Pretty common to find them in late Sept./early October.  As soon as the bucks come out of velvet they are ready to go and just waiting on the does to come around.  I think of them as frustration scrapes and mostly find them on field edges in the same places every year.  If you know where they are going to be it is a great place to set a camera and get shots of the bucks in your area but where I hunt they are mostly hit at night.  After the middle of October these usually are abandoned for more important scrapes.  I also get a lot of photos of does in the early season scrapes.

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 07:41:00 AM »
Mmmm that's early!
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
I was traversing my woods looking for my buck Friday and found three little ones. Not uncommon at all.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
Saturday's getting closer Russ!  I hung my Iowa stands two weeks ago today and the tree where I shot a big ten pt. last year had three active scrapes with fifteen yards of it.  Yes, I'm excited!  I'm hoping I have a repeat.  Last years season in Iowa totaled 10 minutes.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
I saw one Saturday.
bolong

Offline FAV 52

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
I've been hunting this same timber for 30+ years and this is the earliest that I personally have seen a scrape . There are always scrapes on this timber road but usually not until around October 15 . But according to our DNR there are no deer in this county of Iowa ; so it's probably just one love sick buck that has no chance of finding a mate .  Good hunting to everyone

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
Yup,. I always start to see scrapes in early Sept. These are mostly on field edges and are just bucks starting to feel their oats. I also am a firm believer that some doe's come into heat in early to mid-october where I hunt, most years they are missed and not bred but some years the bucks seem ready and a few get bred, that is why we see fawns on occassion as early as the first week in May instead of the first two weeks of June. I have counted over 20 scrapesin the last week or so and counted 9 the first week in Sept. this year. Shawn
Shawn

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
Shot a buck last night right after he made a scrape behind me. I think they start as soon as the velvet comes off.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 07:58:00 AM »
Depends on when the rut is. On my home ground, the rut isn't until December, and I rarely see a scrape before mid-November. Some years they're earlier than others, but it's rare to see them early here.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©