3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BIG FOOT in Texas.......seriously  (Read 868 times)

Offline LeeBishop

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BIG FOOT in Texas.......seriously
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
That's a beautiful bow. Might have to save up my pennies  :)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
SaaaaWeeeeet!!!

Not fair Billy you're using up all the purdy wood!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Claym

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Wow!Love the look of that macassar    :thumbsup:
-Clay

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
Very sweet looking bow, bet she shoot great.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
Very sweet looking bow.   :thumbsup:
Larry

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
Well guys....I've made 3 attempts, and spent 2 hours trying to finish this thread. I have a new PC that craps out on me, meaning the whole screen going blank, losing everything I've typed, so I'm going to put what I have to say in several posts.....bear with me.

First thing, I've ordered more than my fair share of custom bows, and Kirk is by far the best bowyer I've had the pleasure to do business with. His patience have no end.

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
Kirk has life long experiences in working with wood, and it is evident in this bow.

Fit, finish, and attention to detail is SUPERB.
I had several special requests, and Kirk nailed them all....dead on. I like larger grips....5" or more. I sent Kirk a hand tracing, and it couldn't have turned out better if I had been there when he built it. I think he had some serious reservations about what I wanted, then it complicated things when he learned it was to be a leftie, but he came through with flying colors.
The overall craftsmanship and attention to detail is the best I've seen.

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
Now.....here's the good part. This Sasquatch is a natural born race horse. I'm not a speed freak, but if you can combine everything we all like in a good shooting, well mannered bow, then adding exceptional speed is icing on the cake.

I normally shoot 3 different arrows.....2016, 2018, & 65 # POC. Tuning was a non issue. The bow shoots all 3 arrows equally well. The 2016's are a bit light for this bow, but they are blistering fast. Most of my hunting is with the POC shafts, weighing 549 grains.

A lot of bows seem fast at 20 yards, but back up to 35-40 yards and the arrows fall like rocks....not this bow.
I don't own a chrony, never even shot thru one, so my test on any bow is how well the arrow holds up at different distances.I strung and shot 3 well respected, and highly thought of bows side by side with the Sasquatch. The Big Foot appeared to hit harder, and be faster than the others at 20 yards, but backing up to 40 yards told the tale.....same arrows out of all 4 bows. No noticable drop in trajectory at 25-30-35 yards with the Big Foot....40 yards the Big Foot fell off maybe 6 inches, where the other 3 bows were falling 24-30" low....ok....I know ya'll ain't buying this. The only thing I can tell you is to shoot a Sasquatch recurve side by side with anything else, similar poundages, and see it for yourself.
The bow is by far the hardest hitter, with the best cast of any bow I've ever shot.

Kirk ain't 1/2 bad himself, but he sure builds a bad a$$$ bow.

If you like great craftsmanship, teamed up with great performance, then you owe it to yourself to try a BIG fOOT!!!!!

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
Tom....I hate rules    :rolleyes:  

Tim....the Big Foot won't be seeing the dip tank, but I sure had a hankering to dip a Super Shrew Limited....#22 to be exact...how bout it Bud?

Joe Vt & Tim again.....you guys are down right brutal....just bear 1 thing in mind boys....I don't forget anything  :knothead:

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 02:53:00 AM »
Billy, My Bigfoot bow is the first onepiece recurve that Kirk built. It is the only bow I have that will run with my Eaglewings. I agree 100 percent with what you just wrote. People that are not giving these bows their due need to wake up. There are very few bows on the market that will shoot like a Bigfoot bow. I am a friend of Kirks but I am also a bow builder. I tell it like it is . There are few bows that will shoot with Kirks bows.
God bless you all, Steve

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
Steve,

I have shot a lot of bows, but I just can't get over how this bow holds up so well at longer distances. Folks are going to think I'm just plugging Kirk and his bows. I did plug both of them, but for good reason.....it's simply the best performing recurve I've ever shot...barr none. I wouldn't have believed it either until I saw for myself.
My findings aren't scientific, but it's not hard to tell which bow shoots flattest at longer distances.....I was, and still am amazed.

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
Billy:  Great looking bow, would love to see some limb detail and a profile of the bow.  That's some serious statement your making, but if you say it, I beleive it. I know the quality of bows you have. Don't we have some great Bowyers this day and age, just when I think I have my bow buying down to just a few more, something like this comes along. Gotta Love it, thanks for sharing my friend.  RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
First of all, Billy, I apologize for not getting the rest of the pictures, and the specs up sooner like you asked me to do. I just got home from a week long feild testing trip and have been swamped around here since my return.

secondly.... I'm really glad this bow has met your expectations Billy. building a high performance bow using ebony veneers milled from the same wood the riser is built, is tricky stuff. you really need to grind them thin to get rid of the mass weight. otherwise it's like wearing lead boots to jog in.

Also.... any time you use really dark veneers under this so called clear glass available to us, you always have a certain amount of flaws in the glass showing up. Sometimes it requires building more than one set of limbs to get a nice set.  

The I-beam laminated into this riser is a very heavy, very dense hardwood called "Ipe". the colors run from a chocolate brown, to a more reddish tone. Billy and i had some fun selecting the perfect piece to match this Mac ebony. Neither one of us could agree on which looked the best, so we let my wife pick the wood out. Kat has a good eye for this stuff.

The footed accent strips are black glass and bloodwood. I used to use a lot of Paduke for my red accent lines, until i was introduced to blood wood. the photos do not do it justice IMO. This red colored wood has a translucent effect when turned in the light at different angles that really catches the eye.

here you go Billy..... here's the rest of the photos.I'm sorry the limb veneer photos just didn't come out well.

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
Kirk:  Thanks for posting the pics, that's some serious Mac Ebony.  Great Job.. RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
Damn Billy,

That is one fine looking bow.  I'm proud to say that Kirk is a good friend, but there's no need to hype his stuff.  He's damn good and so is his product.  I'm thinking that bow of yours needs a RH twin.

Borrowing a line I saw somewhere, if the Comanches had Kirk's bows and carbon arrows Texas would still belong to them.

paul
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by billy shipp:
Steve,

I have shot a lot of bows, but I just can't get over how this bow holds up so well at longer distances. Folks are going to think I'm just plugging Kirk and his bows. I did plug both of them, but for good reason.....it's simply the best performing recurve I've ever shot...barr none. I wouldn't have believed it either until I saw for myself.
My findings aren't scientific, but it's not hard to tell which bow shoots flattest at longer distances.....I was, and still am amazed.
That's a mighty fine endorsement for a mighty fine man!  

Billy, you have definitely got me looking at these bows!  I'm just sorry I didn't shoot one at the Baltimore shoot this summer.   :banghead:

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
Hello Paul,

Mac was my first choice if Kirk could find the just right piece, but it had to be the right piece....not all Mac Ebony is created equal.

I've seen your Curly Maple bows that Kirk made. I told Kirk if the Mac didn't pan out, we were going with what he used on your bows.

We are fortunate to have a lot of good bowyers available today. I know folks get tired of hearing the same ole song on how well this bow, or that bow shoots, and how fast it is.

I'm not on Kirk's payroll trying to push his bows, but I do tell it like it is. Folks say/think there haven't been any new advancements in bow building in 50 years.....HORSE HOCKEY.....all I can tell them is find a Big Foot, put it through it's paces yourself, then make your own decision, because there is a huge difference, especially in speed bows. Speed isn't worth anything if you can't control it. This bow has the full package....easy to look at, easy to tune, extremely well mannered,smooth drawing, faster than all get out, with arrow trajectory holding up better than anything I've seen, helt, felt, or smelt. I'm like a lot of other guys in doubting it until I personally shot it.

Good stuff any way you look at it.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
Hey Billy,

I've already checked in with Kirk and apparently he has at least one more riser block's worth of the Mac that you picked.  So the question has gone from whether I'm going to get the RH version of yours to when.  I'm not on Kirk's payroll either - I doubt he could afford either of us let alone both - but I sure have good experiences with his bows.  You're right, I've never shot anything that shoots faster and flatter than his bows.  

One of these days when I come down to Texas to see my grandkids, and their parents of course, we'll have to get together and see if we can reduce the hog population a little.

paul
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
Paul,

You are welcome any time. It may be too hot to hunt in Tejas at times, like the past 60 days, but there is definitely not a shortage of hogs to chase.

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
Allen,

You really need to shoot one of Kirk's bows. Kirk says the 62" Sasquatch, like mine, is the fastest, hardest hitting, best shooting bow he builds.

I know you're without a doubt the best shot in Virginny, and it would be a terribly scary thought knowing anyone had to compete against you shooting this bow.

Let me get the new worn off of it and I'll send it to you to try for a week or so.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©