3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BIG FOOT in Texas.......seriously  (Read 869 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BIG FOOT in Texas.......seriously
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2011, 01:57:00 AM »
If i wasn't such a shameless hussy i would be blushing with all this praise. You guys make building a custom bow worth while. Thanks for the fine review.

Billy, i do have to amend my statement about this being the hardest hitting bow i build.

The 62" recurve is the fastest hardest hitting "recurve bow" i build. But.... my Sasquatch hybrid long bow, and even the Splinter Kat long bow design is a wee bit faster. especially the ones with carbon backing.

another thing is that the 62" recurve is not going to be right for everyone. I typically recommend the 64" for guys with a longer draw length to maintain that smooth draw most recurve shooters love so much.

here's the deal.... i build each bow to fit the individual archers draw length at their preferred draw weight. i do not do this by mass producing limbs at different thickness, and changing riser lengths to accommodate different draw lengths. I build each set of limbs to exact specifications for maximum performance at set draw lengths by manipulating the the length of the working portion of the limbs. i do this by very carefully shifting my wedges and power lams, and adjust the taper rates accordingly. Of course i leave a safety margin for over drawing the bow an inch or so.

But you guys that have my bows be careful handing these bows off that are built for a 27" draw length to some long arm gorilla. and try and keep the arrow weight above 8 gpp and they'll last a life time. 9-10 gpp is a preferable arrow weight.

Billy, your bow should not be drawn past 29" if you want it to hold up. i built it for a 27" draw, and even 28" isn't a problem. i shot it myself a bunch at 29" and you hit the wall just past that.

i can build the same length bow for longer draw lengths, but there are trade offs involved on how they are going to feel during the draw, and their performance levels.

Thanks again for the kind words guys.

btw.... I want in on that pig hunt if your guys get something going there in Texas. that sounds like a hoot!

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2011, 06:22:00 AM »
Billy, that's a might fine offer. I would love to give it a drive sometime!

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
owlbait wanted to see pics of the bow, so I brought it back up for him.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
Thanks Billy. That certainly is a great looking bow. Not at all what I was thinking. Might be I was thinking of one of Kirk's other models. If you ever make it to Compton's or KaZoo I sure wish you'd bring it along.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2012, 12:05:00 AM »
I found it Billy!

or should i say i had help in finding it... Thanks Rob.

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
Here you go James.

This is the bow I told you about. I hope to get some pig blood on it soon.

Thanks for finding the thread for me Kirk & Rob.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
Wow!
James Kerr

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
Nice looking bow! How does it shoot?

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
The arrows you shoot out of the bow must have...

waitforit...

BIG FOOTINGS

:D

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
Billy, that is the most beautiful recurve i have ever seen!
Can someone explain I-Beam to me? Thanks, Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
Hey Ken,

I've got info on this on the "Bowyer's Notes" page of my web site along with some other stuff. but here is a description.

"I-Beam and G-10"

You'll see references to "I-Beam" riser construction, and a product that I sometimes use in this assembly called "G-10". First of all an "I-Beam" assembly is a term I've adopted from some other bowyers describing a full length lamination in the riser block that runs belly to back to add stiffness to the riser. The original term was adopted because of the similarity of the "I-Beam look" when overlays are used belly and back to cap this center lamination. The ones that I typically build is more of a sandwich, rather than an actual I-Beam. In some cases involving overlays on the back of the riser it becomes a "T" and in others I've added "Belly ramp caps" to cover the I- Beam. The overlays, and Belly ramp caps are optional, but do add to the over all cost of a custom build.

I use different types of materials in my "I-Beam" assemblies and "footings" for appearance and added strength, according to the customers preferences. One of the materials I've added to my options is a material called "G-10 Garolite". It's a fiberglass cloth-based material laminated with epoxy resin. This material not only adds incredible stiffness to the riser, but also adds mass weight to the riser that many archers like.

Kirk

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
You see the I beam on the top and bottom of the riser if it is not covered with overlays. In typicaly made risers you only see glass or phenolic from the sides. This is laid in the riser verticaly.. It adds tremendous strength and in the case of a riser made like Kirks actually imparts more of the energy into the bow making it a more effecient overall bow in performance. The riser does not flex much if any at all losing energy.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:

that is one bee-u-tee-full recurve. whoa!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
Thanks for the compliments guys. Kirk went to great effort in finding this particular piece of Macassar Ebony.

I think it is a very good looking bow, and it shoots every bit as good as it looks.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by joe vt:
why would you wreck a good piece of wood on a lefty? lol

awesome looking bow kirk......billy your spoiled   :)  
Now that's funny I don't care who you are  :)
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
Sure would look great dipped in "Ultimate Camo"!  ;)
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
What I am wondering is what is the phyical weight of Billy's bow shown here and if you made this bow foam and double carbon limbs with the standard package, what would it weight?
I know shooting a longbow that weighs approx. 1 1/2 lbs to me needs a bow quiver and arrows on it to weight a little over 2 lbs to help stablelize it.
If this bow is in the range of 2 to 3 lbs it could be shot by itself with out a bow quiver.
Thanks for the I-Beam answers, but why not just build the riser out of solid phenolic. Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2012, 12:49:00 AM »
I had another guy ask me what a solid G-10 riser would weigh and it bumped it up another 2 pounds i think the whole bow was over 6 pounds with Glass and bamboo cores, and the quiver if i remember right.

i just built one for Paul Kimbol alias "Dragon rider" just like Billy's here with a G-10 I-beam and foam cores w/ XX carbon. I'll ask him to put it on his postal scale when he gets back.

if i had to guess I'd say 3.5 pounds. this ebony is pretty dense.  kirk

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2012, 01:11:00 AM »
Kirk,
       The bow you made for me with the G-10-Ipe riser weighed in around 3.75 pounds. If you like heavy risers (I do), then you cannot go wrong with one of Kirk's I-beam/Ipe risers. Bill
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
Thanks Bill,  

Your Riser was built with "Ipe" and is almost as dense as the ebony. I'll bet the weight is very close to the same.

For those of you not familiar with Ipe, here's a photo of Bills riser. the stuff runs from chocolate brown to redish brown in color.  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©