3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Confused on spine selection  (Read 300 times)

Offline cornfedkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Confused on spine selection
« on: September 27, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
In a different unrelated thread, I asked a question about arrow shaft selection, and got a few responses, but I figured Id ask it in a new thread and hopefully get a few more responses.

I am shooting a 45# Sage, 28" DL..Planning on going with gold tip arrows.. The two guys who replied already said that I should go with 3555 shafts, even though according to the arrow selection chart on the site, gold tip says I should go with a 5575.  I am planning on increasing my draw weight after awhile when I can pull a little more comfortably, so I would like an arrow that is going to be able to "grow" with me so I dont have to buy more arrows..

Can you guys help me out a little?  Which spine should I get?  

Thanks

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Confused on spine selection
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
Carbon arrows are very stiff. For a 45# @ 28" bow, I also agree with the suggestion of 3555 shafts.

I don't shoot carbon arrows, but I'm sure there will be others on TG that can advise you on point weight.

As for increasing your draw weight, that's an experiment for later since you didn't state how much poundage you tend to increase to.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
How much weight do you plan on working up to?
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
I would think that 55/75s would be way too stiff unless you want to add a ton of weight up front.  I would seriously consider Arrow Dynamics hammer head lights for your setup. These tapered carbon shafts seem to shoot out of lots of bow weights.  That way, when you increase draw weight, you will still be good.  I shot them beautifully, out of a 45lb. bow, and now I am shooting them out of a 55lb. bow without having to change a thing!

Offline cornfedkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
I plan on getting up to 55#..

Are 3555s going to be too light when Im up to that weight, or will I be able to cut them down enough to make them work?

jonsi-define a ton of weight..what if I run a 200gr head?  Would 3555 still be ideal?

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
35 55,those charts are so wrong,mostly for the compound shooter in mind.i know a few guys that are shooting those from 50lbs bows.leave them long and when you go up in weight you can cut to stiffen for the more poundage
i like biscuits

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
Cornfed, I don't really know how much weight it would take, but seems like it may be alot.  If you go with the 55/75s, I would leave them full length and add weight up front till they fly.  Good luck!  If you want...send me a PM.  I'll see if I have any 55/75s left.  If I do, I'll send you a couple to try so you can see if they will work.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
So, you're planning on buying a new bow, and not on buying arrows to go with it? Why? There is no way to predict what the needs of a bow will be, when you don't have it in your hands. The bow you have will be more than sufficient for any whitetail or black bear you want to shoot.

The 5575s will be too stiff. You'll probably need to add 325-350 grains of point and insert to get them to fly right. And then they'll weight 625-650  grains or so. That's pretty heavy out of a 45@28 bow.

The 3555s will be more suited for you. You'll still need to use a 175-225 grain point.

Like someone else mentioned, you could get some Arrow Dynamics Trad Lites and they'll work out of the bow you have now and probably work out of the one you plan on getting.

At any rate, don't worry about fitting arrows to a bow you don't have.

Offline cornfedkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
thanks jonsi-

I was planning on leaving them full length for awhile, then cutting them down once while bareshaft tuning once I get good enough and get to my final weight.

Im just afraid if I get 3555s, that once I move up in weight, I will need new arrows, but I really know nothing about carbon arrows with traditional equip..

And another question..If I get an arrow thats too light or too heavy, am I going to notice it all the time, or just once I try to bareshaft tune or shoot broadheads?

Offline cornfedkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by looper:
So, you're planning on buying a new bow, and not on buying arrows to go with it? Why? There is no way to predict what the needs of a bow will be, when you don't have it in your hands. The bow you have will be more than sufficient for any whitetail or black bear you want to shoot.

The 5575s will be too stiff. You'll probably need to add 325-350 grains of point and insert to get them to fly right. And then they'll weight 625-650  grains or so. That's pretty heavy out of a 45@28 bow.

The 3555s will be more suited for you. You'll still need to use a 175-225 grain point.

Like someone else mentioned, you could get some Arrow Dynamics Trad Lites and they'll work out of the bow you have now and probably work out of the one you plan on getting.

At any rate, don't worry about fitting arrows to a bow you don't have.
Thanks..I currently dont have a bow..I just ordered it, and I am trying to figure out which arrows I need to buy to go with it.  The bow is a take-down, so I was planning on getting 55# limbs for it once I am pulling it comfortably and figure out what Im doing.  

I was just curious if I could get a set of arrows that is going to work with both weights, since I didnt want to have to buy another set of arrows if I didnt have to.  (I shoot mainly compound, and traditional shooting is just gonna be mostly for fun and screwing around, so Im not planning on spending a ton of money on it).

It sounds like I will be going with the 3555s, and they should still work with 55# after they are cut down a little..

Thanks again guys

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
Charts and calculators can get you in the ballpark for picking an arrow shaft, but the only sure way to know is to actually shoot a variety of shafts. Consider ordering arrow and point test kits (Three Rivers has them).  While you can mess with different lengths, I find it a lot easier to just cut the test shafts 1" longer than my draw length (for hunting arrows) and try different point weights on different shafts to figure out what flys the best.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Honestly, I'd get the Arrow Dynamics Trad Lites. They are a much more tolerant shaft than any of the Gold Tips.

Offline cornfedkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »
Dang..I was hoping to not spend that much.. they do look dang sweet tho!

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
I posted this on your Wraps thread before I saw this one, so I'll just copy it here.

Jake, read this excellent thread by Shawn Leonard, it'll cut your arrow selection learning curve by years.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=107227  

I have a bunch of Carbon Express ThunderStorm 3050's. I got them for shooting with lighter bows. Carbon Express advertises them as 'Youth' arrows. After reading Shawn's post I went to work putting them thru some 'new' paces.

I am shooting them right now out of my new Bama Expedition, 53# at my draw, with 250 grain points, for a total arrow weight of 530 grains and they are flying like darts. I haven't figured FOC, but they have plenty.

I planned to hunt with my AD Trad Lites, but these 3050's give me great arrow flight with a heavier head, with only a 10 grain heavier arrow, so it's a toss-up now. I prefer the heavier head, so I'll probably use these CE's.

I don't why it never occurred to me that since carbons are marketed for compounds they would be so different for Trad bows, but after reading Shawn's post it was one of those 'smack the forehead moments' as in 'Duh'! Thanks Shawn!

I get my 3050's at Wally World, can't beat the price either. They are cut to 28", I draw 27" so they work good for me.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline cornfedkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
Thanks DannyBows-

That was a good read, and it definitely made sense..

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by DannyBows:
I get my 3050's at Wally World, can't beat the price either. They are cut to 28", I draw 27" so they work good for me. [/QB]
The thunderstorms at wally world spine out different ie; the camo ones spine at 57lbs and the black ones at 72lbs. They are good arrows, just don't mix them
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
Yea, cornfed, if your arrows are like 650 grains, they are gonna really drop after 20 yards or so out of a 45lb. bow.  If I were going to get either one, I'd still go with the 35/55s.  But if I were you, I would really consider some arrow dynamics hammerhead lights.  These will probably work best for you with both bows, and you can change the point weight without worrying too much about spine changes.  Good luck!

Offline dlnwohio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
If it helps cornfed I shoot 3555's cut to 30" with 200gr up front like darts out of my cheyenne that is 46@28 and im drawing it to 28" as well,  tho a little lighter then I like they shoot good with with 125gr up front from my other 54@28 cheyenne

Offline cornfedkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by dlnwohio:
If it helps cornfed I shoot 3555's cut to 30" with 200gr up front like darts out of my cheyenne that is 46@28 and im drawing it to 28" as well,  tho a little lighter then I like they shoot good with with 125gr up front from my other 54@28 cheyenne
Perfect..thanks!

I just got off the phone with 3Rivers to see what they had to say.  The guy I talked to said if Im going to want to shoot 55#, Im going to want the 5575s, and if I wanted to use the same arrows for both weights, I should just get the 5575s right now and leave them uncut, and I should be able to get away with running like 170gr up front and should get decent flight.    :confused:    

I think I will take the word of you guys and just get the 3555s..

Heck maybe I'll get the Arrow Dynamics arrows for christmas and then I can hand my 3555s down to my girlfriend, since thats what she shoots out of her compound.

Thanks again for all the help guys - this is a big learning curve for me!

Offline dlnwohio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
If your gonna go with the gold tips id check big jims site out first he's got blems for 42.99 a doz you might get lucky and he will have some in stock

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©