3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hoyt Buffalo with longer draws  (Read 238 times)

Offline mountbkr

• Trad Bowhunter
Hoyt Buffalo with longer draws
« on: September 27, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
Could someone with a Hoyt Buffalo answer a couple of questions for me?

1. What is the actual weight at 28"? Is it whats on the sticker, or the usual 4-5lbs higher that Hoyt usually does?

2. Is anyone shooting one with a 30" or more draw? Can you comment on stacking and finger pinch with either the 60 or 62"

I am thinking about buying one but would like to have some input from actual owners before trying one.
Genesis 27.3

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hoyt Buffalo with longer draws
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
i'd like to hear what people say about his one.  my draw is 30" also.....
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline jshort

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
Iam shooting 30"on45#limbs and it is  very  smooth iam well satisfied.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
I have no way of measuring weight but my two sets of limbs feel heavier than rated. Mine are 62" and my friend's are 60". His feel stiffer at full draw than mine but we both draw only 27".
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
The only way you'll ever know for sure is to scale them.
Bret M. FullER

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
Ok guys I got two buffs and a dorado and I thought they all felt a little heavy. I went out and bought an easton digital scale a couple months ago and they are all three right on the money not even 1/10 of a pound over at 28".  I have a 30" draw and you can add 5lbs. For the extra 2"  but they don't stack and no finger pinch all three are great shooters buffalos are both 62" and the dorado is 60".
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
I have a Buffalo with 55#@28" marked limbs and at my 30" draw it scales 59# with my Easton Digital bow scale which is right where it should be.

Offline mountbkr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
Good stuff guys. I have a GMII which is 35@28 and it pulls 39@28 and 48@30. I wanted to see what the Buffalo was doing at 30 so as to know wbich lb limbs i wanted.
Genesis 27.3

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
Draw weight is adjustable but should fall in the listed weight range at 28in as marked on the bow.  Mine has the 55# limbs and will go from 53-58# at 28in draw.  I shoot mine about 1 turn off the bottom to hit my 54# draw at 27in.
The beauty of the limb system is you can adjust limb pad angleor limb preload to fit most any draw, by backing off the limb you can reduce any stack at longer draw lengths.
Fred has a honest 30+ draw and helped design this bow to fit him as well, but I do believe he prefers the 62in bow.
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline mountbkr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input folks. I have officially joined the "Buffalo owners group"(well as soon as Bob ships it and it gets here). Im looking forward to shooting it as I think the difference in stacking between it and my GM II will be drastic.

Any input, tips, suggestions or other thoughts that anyone wants to share will be appreciated.
Thoughts on spine, tiller (i shoot split finger) and so forth will be appreciated. !!!!
Genesis 27.3

Offline mountbkr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
Anyone care to comment on their experiences with brace height and spine in regards to THEIR Buffalo?
Genesis 27.3

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
I found the brace height on my 62" 55# Buffalo bow is best around 8 1/8" to 8 1/4".  In terms of carbon arrows my bow paper tuned well with Easton Trad Only .300 spine 31" long with 125 grain tips and 100 grain brass inserts. If you have a slightly shorter draw you might want to try the 300s as they were close but I couldn't get them dialed in without cutting below 31" and if I do that my broadhead drags up on the shelf.   I currently prefer Arrow Dynamics Hammer Head Lights with 125 grain points and a standard insert.  Those 31" Arrow Dynamics lights with 125 gr broadheads tune wonderfully in all my bows in the 50-60# range.

As I mentioned before my tiller adjustment was WAY off from the factory and it because I trusted the factory adjustment it gave me fits trying to tune the bow/arrows.  I had some people here give me some advice about adjusting the tiller and since then it been all good.   Basically, with the bow unstrung you loosen the locking bolts on the belly of the riser.  Then crank the limb bolts all the way down for an even tiller.  Apparently, Hoyt recommends an even tiller on its competition bows similar to the Buffalo.  Regardless, start with an even tiller and go from there.  My bow shoots great with an even tiller.

I also have a SBD skinny string as the Hoyt supplied string sucks.  The ends are wrapped in wool and it has the String Leeches.  The bow is dead quiet now.  Before I adjusted the tiller it was loud as hell.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
I shoot my two sets of limbs 45 and 50# with 8 1/4" brace. Tiller is the top limb backed off approx 1 full turn. I shoot split finger. I did put a nylon washer on top of the limb under the limb bolts which probably adds a pound or two as it changes the angle slightly. I padded the cantilever part with deer skin pads and wool wrapped my string loop ends and added woolie silencers.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©