3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trying a back quiver (pics added on P. 2)  (Read 675 times)

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Trying a back quiver (pics added on P. 2)
« on: September 28, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
I have a back quiver ordered. The order tracking says it will arrive today. I ordered a Bear logo quiver through Amazon. I think it is made by Neet since it is the same design as theirs except for the lack of fringe and the added Bear logo.

Since I have never used a back quiver, I didn't want to spend a ton of money on my first. This one was cheap ($68 delivered) and I liked many of the design features. The pros are: size looks about right, outside pocket included, divided to separate arrows. Things I consider cons are: suede rather than smooth leather, leather tube divider, zippered pocket.

I'm also not sure if I like the strap system or if a single strap would suit me better. I figure if I find that I can get along with a back quiver for hunting, I'll make my own to suit me. I'm kind of using this one to see what features I want to include in the one I make. I'll know more by 4:00 this afternoon when the mail arrives.

Any feedback from you back quiver guys would be greatly appreciated. I've read all the posts about bqs on here already, but don't be afraid to comment - positive/negative makes no difference to me as I have no emotional attachment to this quiver...yet.

I've used bow quivers for hunting almost exclusively, but would love to be able to shoot the bow naked. I have a side stalker quiver, but I don't like it for deer hunting as it seems to want to reach out and grab brush like crazy. It is also hard to separate broadheads and judos or to grab one or the other without looking down at the quiver and fumbling though the arrows. So I have stuck with bow quivers.

The back quiver is intriguing though because it would allow me to carry more blunts/small game heads (I like to take shots at squirrels from the stand) as well as a variety of broadheads.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trying a back quiver (pics added on P. 2)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
Good luck...seems like I've tried almost all the different styles, and have made several.  Wish I could get one that would work for all conditions.
Oh well, like I said....Good luck.  :archer:

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
I'm still working on making one work for me.

Good luck!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Pope Co.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
30coupe,
I have a Screw Back Quiver. I chose it mostly because it looked tradional. Pros are, smooth leather, very durable, fur in the bottom and around the top, a holster to put a unstrung bow in(long hike to hunting location). Cons are, no separation keeping arrows from clanking around.

I had a serious problem. I always was catching the arrows on low hanging limbs. This created extra noise and movement as you can imagine. I started using mine almost like a side quiver. I hang it over my shoulder with the quiver under my arm with the fletch end out in front of me. When I spot something(unless I'm hunting squirrels) I pull one arrow out and ditch the quiver and the rest of the arrows. I complete the stalk with one arrow, usually strung.

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
I'm using my back quiver only too this season.  I also got a used maverick quiver to try out.  Been wearing it in the backyard during practice and makes some noise.  Do like the idea of having lots of ammo handy  :)
Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
I'm looking to use it more as a way to get arrows to my stand at this point rather than for stalking. If I were stalking, I'd probably stick with a bow quiver.

Pope, one of the reasons I considered the strap system a con was the very thing you mention. In reading Scott Toll's article about back quivers, he mentions that he uses a single strap so that he can pull the quiver under his bow arm (fletches to the rear) while going through brush. He keeps the strap short enough to put the quiver 3-4 inches below his armpit. That way he can still shoot with the quiver in that position. I figure I can always modify this one if I don't like it.
NRA Life Member

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
Okay, it got here, so here are my first impressions. The leather tube divider is not the negative I expected it to be. I think it will be okay. I was afraid it would stiffen the quiver enough to make the arrows rattle around, but such is not the case. At this point I think my broadheads will go in the tube. It's bigger than it looked in the pictures and is supple enough to collapse with the rest of the quiver.

Being vertically challenged meant there weren't enough holes in the main strap, so I added several. At first I couldn't get the quiver to ride high enough for me to reach the arrows easily (I'm kind of flexibility challenged too). I moved it up two holes (about 1 1/4") and everything is good. With the two bottom straps kind of snug but not tight, I can kind of arch my back and pull arrows without having to bump the bottom with my bow hand. I like that. By unsnapping the right side strap, I can still swing the quiver around under my arm to clear low hanging stuff if I need to, I think. So maybe the single strap isn't a big  deal either.

The downside: the arrows with my Zwickey Deltas are just a tad too long with my short arms to easily clear the quiver if I grab the nock to remove them. Field points are no problem nor is my judo head. If I grab the arrow just below the fletching I can pull them smoothly, but this means having to look down at the string to nock an arrow unless I slide my hand down the feathers to the nock. Then again, this is something I would have to do with either a bow quiver or a side quiver, so it's not as big a deal as it would seem. The vast majority of the time I will be in a stand or blind with an arrow already on the string. The quiver will be hanging beside me, so pulling an arrow out by the nock should be no problem.

I like the idea of sitting in the stand with nothing on the bow but the arrow I'm going to shoot. I always feared that the handful of bright feathers near the bottom of my bow when using a bow quiver were likely to flag any motion I made with the bow. With a naked longbow, it's just a stick moving in a tree...not unusual if there is a bit of wind.

Now I just have to find a fanny pack or possibles bag to carry my lunch and calls to the stand and I'm ready to hunt.
NRA Life Member

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
Good luck.  I like a back quiver on a 3D course, but hate 'em for hunting.  Way too many concessions necessary for that kind of design for hunting.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
30coupe.....

I've use a backquiver for 26 years and for all my shooting and hunting....here's what works for me and I am using it the way the oldtimers did...

use a single strap...with the quiver angled off the shoulder at about 45*.  The arrow nock should be between shoulder and ear height.  This means the quiver is down your back.  You need the strap loose enough for the quiver to ride in this position.  You draw an arrow by reaching back for the nock while you are pushing the bottom of the quiver up with your bowhand or bowarm elbow.  Squeezing the shoulders together makes this easy.  You can actually push the quiver up way more than necessary.  This lets you draw the arrow by the nock, and as you draw the arrow out, let the quiver fall back into position which lets your arrow clear the quiver and long arrows won't be a problem.

Hanging the quiver in a 45* position keeps the arrows low so they won't snag branches.  A single strap also allows you to slide the quiver under the bowarm to get around obstacles.  The double strap system is death when hunting.  Get used to grabbing the arrow by the nock, not the shaft.  Even if you have shoulder flexibility issues,  you can push the quiver up enough with your bowhand far enough to grab the arrow nocks.  It's a two handed operation to work it right.  You shouldn't have to chase the arrows around.

Offline Rod Cam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
30coupe                                              I have been using a back quiver for 54 years, if you get the right one you will not have any problem with it.  My choice is a Hill style, there is no problem getting the broadheads out of them no matter how short your arms are.  The problem is nobody practices today the way they should.  When I was young I was taught that in the summer time to practice using my broadheads and my back quiver.  Many nights I would practice pulling my broadhead out and shooting them into a dirt mound.  If you would practice this you would never go back to a bow quiver, there is only one problem, it is hard to find someone to make these quivers anymore.  The guy from Sunset Hill knows how, you might try to get a hold of him.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
Thanks, hill. I may see how I can modify this one for a single strap setup. I think I can do so without making permanent changes until I decide what I want. The one thing about this quiver I still find as a con is the suede finish. I'm not sure how willing it is going to be to slide around when I want it to. I kind of like tinkering anyway.
NRA Life Member

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Rod, I'll probably make my own eventually once I figure out just what I want. I think I can make this one work for now. Being retired, I can't spend $200-300 on a custom quiver.
NRA Life Member

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Nice looking quiver Russ.  I'll be interested in hearing how you like it.  I used to use only bow quivers, but lately have been only using side (hip) quivers.  I also like just holding a bow with an arrow.  (By the way, good luck this weekend!)  

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
Dave Creger...check them out in the FS Arrow Catalog.

If you take care of your backquiver, keep it well "seasoned" with mink oil or Montana Pitch Blend, it will last a life time. I've had my John Schulz heavy latigo quiver since '77. Retired it a few years ago. I could pass this quiver on to someone and they would get 30 yrs out of it.

I love the Creger quiver, roll it up for travel and unroll for hunting. Quiet, easy arrow removal and collapses on my back perfectly.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
I like them. No problems....
David M. Conroy

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
My favorite for a few years now. You'll need to get the quiver suptle through exercise & oil so it lays on your back. Also the correct adjustments put it where a single strap does the most good. Figure I'm into heavy leather bq's for the long haul. They're great! PM for more.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by joe skipp:

If you take care of your backquiver, keep it well "seasoned" with mink oil or Montana Pitch Blend, it will last a life time. I've had my John Schulz heavy latigo quiver since '77. Retired it a few years ago. I could pass this quiver on to someone and they would get 30 yrs out of it.

I love the Creger quiver, roll it up for travel and unroll for hunting. Quiet, easy arrow removal and collapses on my back perfectly.
I don't think I can use that stuff on the suede leather of this quiver. It is fairly soft to begin with though. Not sure what I might use on suede.
NRA Life Member

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »
:eek:   AMAZON??   :confused:  Those People have  EVERYTHING  I Tell Ya!!  :archer2:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 06:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by 30coupe:

Originally posted by joe skipp:

I don't think I can use that stuff on the suede leather of this quiver. It is fairly soft to begin with though. Not sure what I might use on suede. [/b]
You'll have to use something and whatever you use will likely change the looks of the quiver. The least changing is Fiebing's Spray Saddle Soap. It will darken the suede but will allow the suede to keep its soft feel and texture. Once it dries it will be nearly the same color as before.

If you want a true weatherproof quiver you will need to use something and it will change the looks of the suede. If you want waterproof about the only thing that will not change it drastically is a spray on silicone waterproofing. There are waterproofing sprays for suede. But, I bet they stink to high heaven with chemical odors.

You will almost have to have some kind of trade-off with suede.

Good luck.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
I think a back quiver looks really "right" with a longbow---and have tried to use a back quiver numerous times.  I just never quite got the knack of it so many years ago I gravitated to the bowquiver on my recurve.

I think if you spend some time with it, you'll like the back quiver and it will serve you well.  Good Luck on finding something good to treat that suede with--wish I had a good recommendation but I don't.  Have fun--

Joe

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©