3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do You Smell Like a Predator  (Read 863 times)

Offline Pope Co.

• Trad Bowhunter
Do You Smell Like a Predator
« on: September 28, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
I love these scent control conversations. I jumped on a couple of threads on this subject in the past. I've left my routine on getting as clean/descented as possible on some threads. I've also left a descenting recipe on one, so I won't bore anyone with that information again. Has anyone ever fasted or became a vegatarian for a period of time to help with deer spooking at your scent. I've always wondered if "you won't smell like a predator if you don't eat meat" was true????? I only ate vegatables for a week before opening day a few years back. Harvested a nice doe on the first day and went back to my normal diet. Obviously that is not enough data. Please share your findings on this if you have any.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do You Smell Like a Predator
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
Some folks say I smell like an old Bear... I still kill deer!!!!!  :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
There is absolutely no way I am cutting meat out of my diet. I am trying to get meat while in the stand so, might as well have some jerky as I wait.  :)
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
I've heard of people taking chlorophyl pills to help and they swear by it. If you can cut out garlic and onions it will make a  difference. More odors are being expelled from your breath than all the rest of you. In my experience some people just have a stronger odor than others. I feel lucky, I tend to get blown at less than my buddies, could just be me watching the wind closer too.
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pope Co.:
 I only ate vegatables for a week before opening day a few years back.  
Rabbit Farts  :readit:  !
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
Not sure what I smell like but walking in the woods awhile I sure do smell. Lions smell like lions ,coyotes and wolfs smell like wet dogs . Predators smell like predatores and they still kill.Hunt up wind. I do not realy think you can hide your scent. But Its not going to hurt to try.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
I've heard of people taking chlorophyl pills to help and they swear by it.

That would be me. In addition to personal hygiene, showers before hunting, washing and re-rinsing hunting clothes in baking soda, air dry when weather permits. Simply put by Gene Wensel...scent control is an all or nothing proposition. If you  are  going to do it do it all out.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
I am pretty picky about the scent controll thing. I play the wind as best I can- adding some sewing thread and a small feather to the upper limb of the bow helped tons with that.

I use scent away on everything, and I leave my ghillie outside in the elements rain wind shine. all my camo is hung outside (dry up high on my porch) walking through lots of wet dew covered grass and or mud, etc.... always helps IMO get the cat/ dog scent off your boots- oh there outside on the porch too!

L.R.
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
No deer's worth eating only vegies. I think my B.O. is a larger issue than some hamburger oozing from my pores.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
I will give up sleep. I will give up my middle toenails from moccasins that are too tight. I will give up my hard earned scheckels. I will give up a bazillion honey-dos to clear the decks. But you will have to pry my cold dead fingers from that rib bone.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline buzzcut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
After chasing whitetails for over 35 years, I discovered my best scent control by accident.  I've gotten serious about getting and staying in shape over the last few years.  My workouts include some time in the pool.  I noticed, and then started to keep track, that on the days I swim I very seldom get winded by deer.  It seems a half hour soak in chlorine treated water elimnates much of my human scent.  Of course, I do all of the other things as well, clean, scent free storage of my clothes and equipment, etc.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
I've said it a 100's times animals smell at the molecule level, you have to be vapor proof to fool an animal. All this cover scent and scent elimination maybe fine to lower your smell but you are not going to hide from them if they get your wind. What? your breath is exposed,your hair usually, your hands,your face and you probably sweated getting to where you were going. All your scent lock camo and washing your stuff in baking soda isn't going to help you. "Scent Lock" and other scent blocking camo is nothing more than a just of bunch of marketing B.S. for folks gullable enough to buy into it. Don't believe me? I'm sure someone on here has a police buddy who runs dogs, find one that is trained to find humans and go get in all your baking soda washed scent lock and hide in the closet and report back the findings.

All that said I wash my stuff in baking soda,hang dry outside and then store in a tote tub with vegetation from the area am hunting, all I think that does is it stops me from reeking a mile away, I still use the wind and never except to see an animal down wind from me.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
Folks would kill more game if they quit spending so much time trying to keep clean. Just hunt! They will smell you no matter what you do.

Go vegan? I think not!
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
The way I treat my clothes and shoes, I smell like......"dirt".
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shedrock:
Folks would kill more game if they quit spending so much time trying to keep clean. Just hunt! They will smell you no matter what you do.

Go vegan? I think not!
x2
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »
Do you really think Fred Bear, Glenn St. Charles, Ben Pearson, and Howard Hill did that stuff? They gulped down a burger, hopped into their smokey clothes, smoked a cigarette and headed for the woods.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
Do you really think Fred Bear, Glenn St. Charles, Ben Pearson, and Howard Hill did that stuff? They gulped down a burger, hopped into their smokey clothes, smoked a cigarette and headed for the woods.
:thumbsup:
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
I wash my hunting clothes in regular detergent, hang them in my office closet, and have been known to wear them while cooking breakfast, playing with the dog, gassing up the truck, and enjoying a cigar. I even eat deer jerky while on stand trying to shoot deer. Somehow my freezer stays full.

When I was a kid, our hunting cabin used to be so smokey you'd swear it was a Cheech and Chong prop (cigarette smoke though). My grandfather used to chain smoke on stand while wearing a pair of old camo coveralls he pulled out of a musty trash barrel in the basement. Somehow his freezer stayed full too.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shedrock:

Go vegan? I think not!
x3

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
The worse I smell the more I am aware of what the wind is doing!   :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©