3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do You Smell Like a Predator  (Read 862 times)

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do You Smell Like a Predator
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
What Shedrock said.... x10
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline flippnsticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Shedrock:
Folks would kill more game if they quit spending so much time trying to keep clean. Just hunt! They will smell you no matter what you do.

:thumbsup:

Offline flippnsticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
when I hunt the only thing on my mind is wind and how close can I get . I never think im 99.9% scent free and its been tested.   :laughing:

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
Yup, I'm pretty sure I smell.
 I still keep clean, but if one ends up being downwind, its not long before they hit the road.
I usually get at least one deer per year though without all the gimmicks. Some nice bucks in there too.
Sooooo, I'm also with Shedrock. Nothing wrong with keeping clean, but I'm not going to have an anxiety attack about it.
David M. Conroy

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 06:42:00 AM »
I probably smell like a sweaty werewolf to the deer. Have a long haired white dog that stays in the house, truck and everywhere else I do and sheds terribly. I still get more than my share of close shot opportunities. They just know somethings up.

Offline danderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
i consider myself a predator once i'm in the woods bowhunting. predators aren't vegetarians     :bigsmyl:
BW SAX Kingwood 54#

1967 Bear Super Kodiak 50#

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
Become a predator...or go hungry.  :)
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline Rasper1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
I keep an old audio casset tape in my equipment box . A short piece works great as a wind indicator. It is very sensitive and easy to see .

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
I agree with Bill, but I believe that when actually sitting a stand, you really need the wind in your favor. I am scent control freak, but more so for my in and out and not leaving scent behind when I leave the woods. I spray down before I climb down as I don't want to leave any scent coming or going. Actually bought an ozone machine this year to treat my hunting clothes and gear ecspecially my boots! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
I agree with Bill, but I believe that when actually sitting a stand, you really need the wind in your favor. I am scent control freak, but more so for my in and out and not leaving scent behind when I leave the woods. I spray down before I climb down as I don't want to leave any scent coming or going. Actually bought an ozone machine this year to treat my hunting clothes and gear ecspecially my boots! Shawn
Shawn

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
Every critter I know of that is a predator, smells like a predator!  And so do I! Like the wolf,coyote,bear ect... I hunt the wind!
  I do however try to minumize scent left in the woods as best I can!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline gnihsifnamk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
I hunt the wind and go to great lengths to keep my boots as scent free as possible.

We have to understand that 99% of the junk cabela's and bass pro tries to sell us is to make money, not to help us hunt better. No gimmicky item from a big box store will ever replace good woodsmanship.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
Vegetables are what food eats.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
Prey are drawn to it ...

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
I wash up and wash clothes in scent eliminating soap, and put pine boughs and other stuff in the container that my hunt clothes are stored in.

Regardless, I think the first nasty fart of the morning undoes all the doing...   :laughing:  

B

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
If I ate only veggies and beans the gas created would KILL the deer and burn out their sinus cavities.  I am not a vegetarian.
ChuckC

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
I hunt 95% of the time from a tree stand---I am far better thjan most guys I have ever hunted with when it comes to moving through the woods, but I prefer being up higher (about 10-12ft above ground).

Odor is  the first betrayer of the hunter---a deer relies on his nose more than any other sense----and if he smells you, he's gone.  I am referring particularly to trophy bucks---they didn't become trophies by ignoring human odor.  I don't know if refraining from eating meat makes a difference or not---I believe that any human odor is all a trophy buck needs to vacate the area, so he must be assuming you are some sort of predator.

Joe

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
Sorry I disagree with the just hunt theory. It has been proven hunters that keep as clean as scent free as possible kill more deer. Not by the hunting industry either but major colleges and independent studies. I agree that they will smell you if they get downwind of you but the degree that they smell will greatly influence how they react. You guys just go stinkking up your areas and I will just go on and keep killing deer, not that you guys that stink don't kill deer but the guys who keep as scent free as possible get more opportunities, no doubt about it! Shawn
Shawn

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
I said this on another similar thread. I do use scent cover spray but I think it's more just for confidence. Last two deer I shot couldn't have been anymore downwind if they tried, both where shot under 25 yards. I do shower before hunting and one thing that I never use is deodurant or shampoo. It might just be my body makeup but if I use either it actually makes me smell worse, like my body sends extra stinky sweat to try and get ride of the stuff. I just rinse my hair with water, haven't used shampoo in over 5 years.

Offline Red4arm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
I have a vegetarian friend that hunts, in know kinda weird .He would give the meat away, he loved to hunt but didn't like meat. I on the other hand eat meat with almost every meal. We hunted together for years, he killed slot of deer, but he didn't see any more deer or get scent busted any less than the rest of us. We even discussed the whole meat eater thing and came to the conclusion over a few years that it made no difference.
With all the roughage he ate, his farts would dang near kill ya.
If I see a grizzly eating berries and looking content, I still want assume he won't eat me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©