3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is your max yardage for hunting?  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is your max yardage for hunting?
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
17 to 18 yards max. Prefer 12 to 15 yds.   :archer2:

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
I set up most of my stands in thick areas where shots aren't going to be presented over 20 yards at the maximum (often less). I do so because those are the areas where I will see deer.  On occasion I have had deer at 20+ and waited for something closer.  My happy place is from about 12-18 yards.  Unlike some, I can look at an object from point blank to 30 yards and know (within a few feet) exactly how far it is.  That's not a super human gift, it's just practice and as the military says "situational awareness".

For me shooting at a live critter is different than a target.  Targets aren't jumpy and bows aren't nearly as quiet as we might have supposed once we are in the dead silence of nature.  Of course, my bowhunting is pretty much exclusively for highly pressured south-eastern whitetails, so YMMV.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
Just a note: My not caring about what the yardage is has nothing to do with an ability to judge that yardage.. I was good enough at it to compete on the national level as a professional in compound... But since I have rejected the gadgets and mechanical assistance of the compound and returned to the archery of my youth I do not have to judge, I just know when I can make the shot or when I cannot.. One of the more liberating aspects of shooting without sights.. :D
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
usually 20 or less now last year in ohio a buck came through trotting and stopped, i never even thought i picked out a spot drew, anchored, and released, the arrow was beautiful, arched right under his chest, when all was said and done the buck was at 31 yards   :eek:
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
20 max and 15 ideal
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
If it feels right its a go, just seems that the farther out they are the less it feels right, i have taken hogs out to 35 but those are few and far between as i enjoy getting close and have passed on shots i know i could have made just to get closer just to get busted but getting close is the fun part to me, the majorty of my shots are 20 and under.

It also depends on my confidence a the time. When pratice is not going as well as it should my shots seem to get shorter. When this is the case i notice that a shot i would have take 4 months ago i pass on now and when pratice gets back to normal and confidence is back up then that shot i passed on is now a go.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
Quote sweeney3: "Yeah, I can make that shot", or "Nope, I don't think I wanna try that" are my hunting ranges.

Quote Kennym: "....have passed a lot of em closer than that!...."

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
the closer the better, I average 17-20.  Last year shot a doe on the ground as she was quartered away from me, complete pass through.  stepped it off 33 yards, I was shocked, still like them close.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
I see a lot of guys concerned with the maximum distance they can shoot at game. A lot of guys forget to practice the short shots. Go get 5 yards from your target or less and see how you do. You may be surprised at how badly it turns out to be.

As far as my maximum distance, I know it when I see it and it changes with each situation.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
I'm not usually aware of the yardage of my shots until I "step" them off. It is then that I realize my comfort and confidence zone is always less than 15yds. and usually is around 12.

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
I practice daily and probably my average stum shot is somewhere around 30-40 yds. with many longer ones thrown into the mix and an occasional short one.  When I do shoot under 20 yds. it's like I'm shooting at an elephants side!  I learned to practice long from the late Paul Schafer who did the same and even wrote an article about it years ago.
     All that being said over 45yrs. of bowhunting and keeping records my average kill shot with a bow has been 17yds. and that includes 3 kills beyond 40 yds. and two beyond 70 yds.  (In the old days you shot first and worried later.)  So keep them close and well within your comfort zone.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
I like 20-25 yds., but practice to 60 yds.

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
I practice trad out to 20 yards, but would prefer hunting shots in the range 10-17.  I've never set up blinds, etc. for shots much under 10 yards, regardless of gear, and don't feel inclined to go that way now that I've come back around to trad.
Jim

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
For me I don't shoot at whitetails further than 15 yards. They can just move so fast that I feel shooting at them any further out could lead to lots of wounded animals.
James Kerr

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
20 yards is max for me. Haven't had the opportunity to shoot at many animals, but that;s the distance I can get consistent groups at. I shoot much better at 15 than at 20, though. I think I would pass on a shot at 20 yards if I was sure the deer would come into 15.

Offline markd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
I practice hard out to 40 yards. I will shoot at game out to 40 yards. I understand and respect knowing your limits and staying inside those limits, but if your "ability" is strictly inside 20 yards both in the yard and in the woods, then you are really shortchanging yourself and need to learn some effective aiming method that will allow you to take advantage of your bow's potential on out beyond 20 yards.JMO/no disrespect intended! :-)

Offline Bob Palmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
I'm comfortable out to 25. Practice out to 60 or more. Average shot, however, is 10 to 15 yards.
"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."
- Anonymous

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
Deer to 25 yards and elk to 40.   I hit consistently at those ranges.   I always go by if I feel I can make the shot.  Some
Days it is 40 on elk, others would be 20.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
Absolutely no further than a "slam dunk" shot.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bob Palmer:
I'm comfortable out to 25. Practice out to 60 or more. Average shot, however, is 10 to 15 yards.
x2
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©