3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is your max yardage for hunting?  (Read 2207 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is your max yardage for hunting?
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
I like 10-18 yards, don't get that very often!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
I'll sling an arrow 50+ yards at a squirrel or rabbit but deer and hogs I won't shoot much past 20, am not good enough.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline TRAD101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
20 yards or less for me.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
Quote from Blake.... ""I don't know I shoot instinctive I just look at what I want to shoot, I do not think about yardage.""

I practice at different ranges but you will have to ask how far after the shot and I'll pace it off for ya    :)

My brain probably keeps me inside 20/25 yards or so?
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
I practice from 22yds. in but my favorite is closer the better. I usually hunt from natural ground blinds in thick stuff, so about 15 yds. max.

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »
Depends on my confidence level. Last summer I worked extremely hard ,was shooting well and I would have shot out to 25-30yrd without much hesitation if everything else was right.
 This summer I have shot very little so I will be looking for closer shots. Whether the animal is alert or relaxed, high wind,cold weather, clothing lots of variables affect the shot decision besides simply how far.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
It all depends on the circumstances for me. Rain, wind, where a deer is looking, how tense the deer is, etc., all factor in. I've passed shots at 10 yards when a deer was staring me down, and shot a few over 30 yds. My closest was 6 yards.

My longest was probably 45 or so. It was in the mountains and I was making my way up a ravine with a good sized creek flowing down it. I about 30 yards up one side of the ravine, and a nice buck came sneaking down the opposite side. I was standing behind a big oak and peeked around until I could see his shoulder. I zipped an arrow right through both lungs. He took a big leap and just stood there. He started wobbling a fell not 5 yards from where I shot him.

The conditions were perfect for that shot. He was perfectly calm. The wind was in my favor. The creek gave a lot of "cover noise". I really didn't think about how far it was until I went to get him.

Like many others, most of my hunting practice is stump shooting. I could care less what the distance is, and rarely pace one off. All I care is that I hit within a feather's length of my intended spot.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
David M. Conroy

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by markd:
I practice hard out to 40 yards. I will shoot at game out to 40 yards. I understand and respect knowing your limits and staying inside those limits, but if your "ability" is strictly inside 20 yards both in the yard and in the woods, then you are really shortchanging yourself and need to learn some effective aiming method that will allow you to take advantage of your bow's potential on out beyond 20 yards.JMO/no disrespect intended! :-)
Not necessarily the case! Just because some(like me!) limit themselves to a certain yardage for hunting shots doesn't mean we cant shoot accurately beyond that. I used to shoot FITA at 90 meters. I wouldnt take a shot at a deer at that distance.
My accuracy does not limit my max range, actions and reactions of game animals do. As distance increases, so does the potential of an otherwise accurate shot going bad due to animal movement.
David M. Conroy

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
I better say this too...., I dont think ANYONE should limit themselves just because I think I should. Its my decision, all mine and not to be pushed on anyone else.  IMHO
David M. Conroy

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
All depends, I never shoot unless it feels right, it may be 5 yards it may be 45 yards. Depends on whether the greenlight comes on. To me it is all about confidence in that particular shot. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
I have killed deer at 42 yds. While I prefer 25 or under I may shoot to 35-40 if all is just right...

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
I like to keep them 20 yards and under.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
Turkey - 15 yards

Deer - 20 yards

Elephants - 25 yards  (LOL)
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline sonofabuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
If the green light comes on i launch no second thoughts.
Combat Vet

Offline bobzila

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2011, 12:59:00 AM »
I practices out to 15 meters but will only take a shot at a animal bigger then a rabbit at 8m or under. So almost half of what i practice at.
"A hunter's life is filled with chases, hidden places and endless graces."

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
I practice out to about 35 at home.  I know my ranges because I am limited to where I can shoot.  I find I shoot best at about 17 or 18 and under.  Something about 20 yd. that makes it the hardest distance to shoot. I think it is my old eyes and maybe max gap or something.  I don't consciously gap but I know at 25 and out the arrow is real obvious in my line of site, and I shoot sometimes a lot better at 25-30 yd than 20 yd.  This year my ACS is really shooting well and 20 has become a comfortable range.  I will be looking for shots 10-15 on critters.

I agree with others about taking the shots that just feel right on animals.  Our brains can think faster than we can perceive and you have to trust the green light.  There are days when I am stumping and see something I just know I can hit and do no matter the range. Other times I just can’t get a comfort level for the shot and often it is not a good shot.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
Saw this carved with stick people on stone in a cave once:

"Og no shoot moose if moose breath not in face"

Og is da' man.

Offline Kid's Pastor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
I am very confident to 20 yards, but have taken longer shots (and connected) when everything felt good.
This is why I like to mix stump shooting in with my known range shooting. It helps me better when I am hunting.
I have to try and figure something out for tree-stand practice as I might be in one for our late season...hmm

Offline ironmike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
i'll take 50 if i'm feeling good,i shoot 70plus poundage with heavyweight arrows so consistansy,energy,and accuracy is there.california is different than the east,although there is some brush hunting,but that is my limmit.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©