3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How-Close???  (Read 453 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
How-Close???
« on: September 29, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
How close have you taken deer on the ground? This fall will be my first attempt.
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How-Close???
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
3 yds...natural ground blind on the edge of a bean field.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
My closest shot ever was 5 yards and that was too close for my tastes. If the deer would have caught any movement from me or heard any sound, it would have instantly bolted.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »
I didn't shoot, but the closest I've been was about a yard.  A little spike came running across a cut corn field and stopped right next to the tree that I was leaning against.  I could have reached out and touched him.  I wasn't going to shoot him, but I seriously doubt I would have been able to had I wanted to.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
Havent hunted deer in a very long time but my closest shot on a hog was 5 feet, his idea not mine. Ive had a lot of shots anywhere fron 4 to 8 yards but that 5 footer was the closest.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
12 yards
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
The closest I’ve been to a deer is touching it. I was sitting on the ground with my back against a tree legs stretched out, a doe and her button buck came out of some brush about 10 yards away, the doe passed me up and caught sight of me at about 20 yards and started stomping and blowing trying to get me to move. The button buck saw me but didn’t know what I was and started to walk to me, he just kept coming and coming and then bent down and touched his nose to my toe, right when he touched my toe I flicked my foot and bumped his nose at that he jumped about 5' in the air as he was in the air I thought o no this is not going to end well, I thought he was going to come down right in my lap but he hit the ground where he was standing and covered me with dirt as he left.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
8 yards. Was walking to my stand at daylight and heard him coming thru the woods grunting like a pig. I stepped behind a tree,and he walked right in front of me. Sometimes running a few min. late is a good thing.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by wtpops:
The closest I’ve been to a deer is touching it. I was sitting on the ground with my back against a tree legs stretched out, a doe and her button buck came out of some brush about 10 yards away, the doe passed me up and caught sight of me at about 20 yards and started stomping and blowing trying to get me to move. The button buck saw me but didn’t know what I was and started to walk to me, he just kept coming and coming and then bent down and touched his nose to my toe, right when he touched my toe I flicked my foot and bumped his nose at that he jumped about 5' in the air as he was in the air I thought o no this is not going to end well, I thought he was going to come down right in my lap but he hit the ground where he was standing and covered me with dirt as he left.
:clapper:  

That's an experience right there.
Hoyt Game Master TD Recurve- 48#'s @ 28"

Checkmate Hunter TD Recurve- 59#'s @ 28"

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
6 yards on a small muley buck...
is it September yet??

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
Had a doe last year at 3 paces from where I was sitting on the ground in a blow down.I had no chance at drawing on this deer and made no attempt. This season a doe at 8 feet from me again on the ground. I got busted while in the process of drawing on her. No shot taken. It is thrilling to have a deer come that close and have no idea you are sitting there. Can't wait for the next time.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
my biggest buck to date 150" 11pt. that trotted past me at 3 yards and caught an arrow as he passed.  In a brush flind along a fence row.
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
The closest I ever shot one was out of a deadfall at about 4 yds. Real nice 6 pointer!

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
5 yards- havent had a shot yet, but may being so close is a thrill! Ghillie all the way! I am making up my second one now.

L.R.
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
about 6 yds.--after the doe walked past me about 2 yds. away. i thought for sure she would smell me but she didnt,   ground blind.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
First one I ever killed with recurve was no more than two steps. I was walking in a fire-break in Ft. Stewart back in about 1964 or 65 and when I came around a bend there was a big doe and yrling right on top of me almost. I had to step behind a big pine on the edge of the break, draw and when I leaned around it yrling was at about two steps.

Offline danderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
wasn't hunting but walking my dog down our street this past winter, i saw 2 deer about to cross. They bolted and i bleeted at em for fun. The skipper turned around! Next few minutes i inched closer and closer and so did the skipper. My dog did not pay any attention! got to within 5 yards. After she blew, i remembered my camera in my pocket!
BW SAX Kingwood 54#

1967 Bear Super Kodiak 50#

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
4 paces from me,walking up a field edge

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
Four feet in a standing corn field. I had to lean back to draw on him when he stepped into the row I was hiding in.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
About 6 steps for me. A couple of years ago, I had a doe just about run over me. She came running down the hill behind me and must have thought I was a big stump. She veered around me so closely, I could have smacked her on the rump.

When I was in my early twenties, I had a fork horned buck sniff my bow tip. It was raining pretty hard and I sat down under a big cedar tree for refuge. After sitting there for a few minutes, I heard a cough right behind me, on the other side of the tree. A second later the little buck walking right in front of me a few feet away. I had propped my bow up right next to me. He sniffed it for a second or two, then moseyed on his way.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©