3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Game Carts  (Read 621 times)

Offline Don

• Trad Bowhunter
Game Carts
« on: July 08, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
Has anyone used any of the game carts that are on the market and what would you recommend for deer to elk size animals?  Thanks

Online Magnum in Ms

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Game Carts
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »
I have one I like ,but don't recall the brand. Some things to look for would be
 Load capacity in pounds
 Solid tires( won't be flat when needed )
 Tire size ( bigger tires roll over logs and rough ground better )
 Low center of gravity. (keep the load close to the axil where it does not tip over easy )

The one I have has a belt between the handles you can put on and pull it like a mule so your hands are free to carry your bow or what ever.
Every one is ignorant its just on different subjects

Offline ejes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
Don, I have heard very good things about this cart, but I have no experience with it.  I plan on getting one this year to try out.  It might interest you, too.

http://www.bowsite.com/nxt/gamecarrier.html

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »
Whatever one you end up with make sure that the bearings are more than hollow plastic. After my health went south, I bought one. I think it is a Yukon. The first deer I put on it broke one of the plastic bearings. I milled a pair out of solid teflon, and it now works great. Hap

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
Second on the VersaCart.  My teenaged daughter can roll her own deer out of the woods with out adding to my knee problems.  Not real compact, but stable.

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »
Versa Cart- I love mine! Can be hooked up to a bike or a quad. The 15 deg tilt of the tires lets it walk right over many logs. Plus you can adjust the outer structure to keep in cargo or stabilize it.

The one downside to it is that it does not fold flat. A minor problem for me. It really is one of my best buys as far as hunting goes.
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »
Notice the brush guards in front of the wheels??

I do believe the capacity is also #500
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »
Have the Big Game cart.. It werks, but don't overload it!!! Had a problem when carrying the full load of 500 lbs(lime) when I went over a log, the spokes pulled away from the hub...

Normal operations, werks fine... But you still have some work in rough terrain!!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 04:39:00 AM »
I used the Versacart to pull an 8 pointer out. had a long haul and that made it pretty easy. Gonna get me one.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 06:01:00 AM »
As size is concerned, the handle does fold back and the "cargo wings" are removable.  For deer hauling duties, the wings stay at home.  Have also rolled two 150 lb hogs and a deer and a hog on it at the same time.  Just keep a couple of good bungees strapped to it.

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 07:48:00 AM »
I have one from cabela's that has 2 wheels and a canvas sling.  Works well.  You can step thru the handle and pull it with the bar at your hips and makes it easier pulling.  You don't pull with your arms.  You can also get a extra set of wheels, makes it a dually for extra capacity.  Has been well worth it.  I rocky terrain, just lean into the handle a little to get it over rocks.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »
I have a Versa Cart I would sell, but I hate to think about the shipping. I will either use a Cabela's Mag Hauler, or a custom one that fits behind my pickup seat.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline ejes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
Buckracks7, do you not like the VersaCart because it is not compact or are there other reasons?  Thanks.

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
Well, at the risk of costing myself a sale, I'll tell you why I would sell it. Notice the sharp V in the front of the cart. This cart is the best for small to medium game. But, I have tried to load a couple of deer over 200 pounds, and couldn't get their hind quarters past that sharp V. I was by myself and could not pull from the top and move their butt past the V at the same time. 2 guys would not have a problem. One buck I took out dragging his butt on the ground. The other I had to first strap the cart to his back, and then turn the cart over. That was very difficult to do, but he hauled easy once loaded.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
I used a friends Cabela's Mag Hauler last year.  Liked it so well, I bought one for myself for this year.  For anyone purchasing the Mag Hauler, the instructions for putting it together are hard to follow.
Mel Riley

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »
Home made cart using two pieces of 1/2" rigid conduit and 12" solid tires.  Folds in half for storage.

Dennis

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
I am using the ameristep non-tyical cart. Choose it because it is packable. So far I have had no issues with it and can not find anything I do not like about it.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
I'm w/CLS... bought the original Non-typical Cart. Fully collapsable with stow-away features and it backpacks in.

Big wheels, solid frame that slides in itself. Hauled stand, pack and deer on it over all sorts of terrain...wheels are heavily cambered (flare out)so don't tend to roll over on steep hillsides if side-hill traveling.

I think Wayne had one without the heavy fabric "sling" and just bars that is somewhat lighter in weight.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »
I also have the NT cart and love it. well thought out design, light enough to backpack in, you can haul a big hog on it without problems.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Aeronut:
Home made cart using two pieces of 1/2" rigid conduit and 12" solid tires.  Folds in half for storage.

Dennis
That looks familiar.   ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©