3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What weather conditions would put a stop to your hunt?  (Read 676 times)

Offline David Dumke

• Trad Bowhunter
What weather conditions would put a stop to your hunt?
« on: September 29, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
Here's what I'm looking at for weather on saturday.

Just curious what conditions would put you out of a hunt.

How much wind is too much wind, what kind of rain is too heavy, How cold is too cold?
Hoyt Game Master TD Recurve- 48#'s @ 28"

Checkmate Hunter TD Recurve- 59#'s @ 28"

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What weather conditions would put a stop to your hunt?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
Not sure what would be too much wind, as long as it's fairly constant in direction.  I won't hunt form a stand if the tree is swaying appreciably, and I avoid the woods if it seems like the wind will bring down limbs.  I like to sound cover a breeze gives me, ditto light rain - but I admit, as I get older, I find excuses not to hunt in the rain.  It's almost never too cold for me to hunt, though I might get too cold to take a shot.
Jim

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
Wind can depend on how much your deer are used to.Just know when it is very windy that if deer are moving they can be extremely nervous and high strung.

I don't hunt in rain much because of the likelihood that it will wash out blood trails.A drizzle can be good hunting but use your own judgement on that.

Over most of the whitetail's range,cold usually doesn't hurt.I believe in the deep South it can.In the North,a cold snap can increase activity.Before and after storm fronts can be very good.

Analyze your stand setups and decide which wind direction is best and stay out of there when the direction is wrong.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
For me, it's rain.    :(   I hate getting rained on and a pouring down gully washer of a rain is the absolute worst.    :mad:
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
I'd say any rain more than a drizzle, just in terms of blood trailing. I need all the help I can get trailing deer, I don't want any of it washing away!

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
Cold won't keep me out of the woods, the wind would have to be extreme, but enough rain to mess with a blood trail will keep me inside.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
Its all about comfort for me, the more uncomfortable i get the less fun and when the fun is gone so im i for the day. I dont mind rain as long as its not a down pour and as long as i dont get to cold when wet. Im in California so the main weather issue i run into is the heat, its not to fun running around the foothills at 110 out side.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
Down-pour, Lightening, Tornado.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
Lightening and  constantly changing winds. Never too cold to hunt and the deer never minded the rain.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
Major storms with wind knocking down big limbs, etc.  Otherwise the hunt is on.   I love hunting in the rain.  If we only hunted when dry we wouldnt hunt in western Washington.   I keep my shots in close and aim for the top of the heart on rainy days.  Miss low the animal lives, high is lungs.  Dead on is the heart.   Big blood trails and quick kills.  The noise of the rain covers your noise while stalking.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Wind 20mph or more, Heavy rain that would wash away blood trails and its never too cold!
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
It would take a lot to make me go back to camp or stay there...........tornado, hurricane, blinding blizzard that kinda thing.
Look for places where the animals are likely to hide they will tend to stay put in foul weather.

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
Tornadoes and thunderstorms would be my limit!
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
It sort of depends on the situation. If I am hunting from the house it is different than when I am hunting from a camp.  It is also different when its the last... whatever for the season.  Here rain is always good.  Less noise, more movement, closer shots.  I would have to say that fires are the worst.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
We can't use dogs to track here, so hunting in the rain is out of the question for me.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
RAIN     not a slight misty rain  but RAIN    NO BLOOD TRAIL. gets washed away too easy  so I dont want to lose one
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
Ditto on the heavy rain.  If it will wash away a blood trail, I may stay out and scout around, but I wouldn't hunt/shoot.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
Around here our bucks are very wary in the wind and I don't think they move much at all when very windy. I know others will disagree but that is what I've found from my first bow hunt in the fall of 1983. Of course maybe I don't know because I'm not out there in high wind right??? Well maybe there is something to that also.

That said my favorite days are the misty wet ones with low wind. Around here our deer move most on days like that. I think they have learned that hunters stay home wet days.

Do remember though you can't kill one from the couch. I'd definitely go if you have a yard pass.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
Not a big fan of lightening, I don't ever want to feel that all over tingly feeling again after i got knocked on my butt.  I use to go out and hunt in snow storms, now that i am a crip, I avoid them.  I am dreading hot and no winds. We have a drought going and are covered with those little black and white no seeums, teeth and wings. Actually, no teeth they pee acid on you, it goes straight through tee shirts even. Nothing holds them off for very long. We need rain, if it will put the noseeums down, I will be getting wet.

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
it takes a lot to run me out of the woods, not so worried about bloodtrails washing out, cause if you hitem rite there down and out in seconds, and i like sneaking around when its windy, they cant here you coming so when you do spot one you can make a desent stalk on them, i use the weather to my advantage.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©