3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Last weekend of deer season Ice storm  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Last weekend of deer season Ice storm
« on: January 13, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
Here I sit surfing the net wishing I was out hunting, but we have an inch of ice and it is still building.  Actually, if it were not for my generator I could not even do that.  I did go hunting last evening during freezing rain, it was kinda cool watching the ice form on the tree limbs, bow limbs, and me.  But the deer were smarter than me and had already headed for parts dryer.

So the questions - Who is dumb enough to sit in a treestand during freezing ran.  

No kidding I had icecicles form on my bow, and I had to keep running my hand up and down my arrow because I was freezing on it.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Last weekend of deer season Ice storm
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
I stayed in the house last night and all day today. Nasty rain/ice.  I have stayed in a treestand during a thunderstorm, holding on to the tree due to wind and praying lightning would not get me.. Crazy

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
Not ice,just sleet here,and I took up residence under a cedar tree on a folding stool....  :wavey:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Harry J Truman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
I did the same in canada bear hunting.Didnt have much choice. It was 4:30 and the boat wasnt due to pick me up till 9:00. Mighty cold sit
Harry J Truman
Take a VET to lunch. Say thanks

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
No snow here, just ice and sleet and COLD. I've got to admit I've been out yesterday and today, both ground blind (am) and treestand (pm until dark). Worked on a bow in my shop in between hunts.

This evening I almost had a big owl in my lap going after the hair silencers on my Dano selfbow. He sat on a limb 10' away, looked me in the eye and flew off. No deer but still fun.   :)

Offline Dingus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »
Sounds like a good time!  A bad day in the woods beats a good day in the Emergency Operations Center.
"Dingus" Magee
Emergency Manager
Edmond, OK (where we also have an ice storm, dang it!)

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »
Dingus: I would call the last weekend of deer season an "Emergency".

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
Temps are in the teens.  A little snow and ice here in KC.  Got a couple deer in the freezer. I decided to stay in the house.  Irish and I did send some tree crews down to Springfied to get your lights back on.  May try Sunday afternoon one more time for this season.

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »
Cabin fever here too. I hunt MO alot and I have Mon off. Was gonna finish the season with a 3 dayer but hate to leave the house with the ice possibilities. I gotta get out tomorrow and Mon morning though. Bored like crazy.....
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »
1/8" ice on windshield this AM,hunted on the ground.Lesson from old doe-go with your first instinct,dont move 20 yds further in!She came in behind me at 10 where I couldn't shoot,finally got wind and all heck broke loose,I just went on to the house.......
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Ol' Ephraim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »
Over on the east side the ice pack from the sleet/snow then freezing rain is about 1/2 " thick. I can walk across my yard and not break thru to the ground, or should I say slide. If the temp drops and stays its going to be tough on the wild life.
 Didn't bother to hunt, going down hill would have been fast, getting back up. :^(
Rest when I can, I'll sleep when I'm dead.

Offline Jim Parsell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 04:50:00 PM »
Hey Scott, you seem to be taking this hunting stuff awful seriously since you went to the recurve!!!!!!  Here in the Thumb of Mi., we only have a light dusting of snow, unfortunately, our season ended Jan. 1...  Take care Buddy,  Jim

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
Hey Jim,

I have always taken bowhunting serious, actually I think that is the only thing I take serious, lol.  Good news the Power is on, THANK YOU KCTREEMAN.  I am suppose to go to Chicago for a meeting tomorrow, hopefully the flights are canceled, that means I will get out in the woods one more time.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline texas woody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
Is anybody near the KC area? I am suppose to fly in there in the morning, just doubting if that will happen.

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
Our Deer Season was over the 10th so my Youngest, myself and our faithful house dog (Beagle) went out in the ice today and tried to scare up a bunny. Stump shooting was a blast even with judo points the arrows slid farther than we shot them. No bunnies but we did come up on a dead nice 6 pointer. Had been gunshot in the back. Took the rack so we have something to clean up. No drops that we could find but being out in a icestorm is still better than being at work.
Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline mqqse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
Well, tonight was my last trip in the woods.  I left the house at 2pm and before I even put the truck in park, I had seen 20 turkeys and 10 deer!  An hour later, two deer made their way into the field and stayed there for an hour while I was getting soaked.  They didn't want to come my way, but another deer slipped in behind me and hopped the fenced and headed toward the two deer in the field.   By then, it was getting dark and I was getting desperate, so I hit a doe bleat which got the deer moving my way.  I thought I was going to get a shot, but they never got closer than 30 yds.  I couldn't count the deer in the field, but I could tell there was a bunch of tasty venison for next year.  On the way out, I counted 13 deer in my headlights when I left and I'm sure the 10 pt I saw Friday night will be around for next year too.

Offline Luke Vander Vennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 08:10:00 AM »
I think you guys sent that ice storm to us up north!  :thumbsup:  

SNOW DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dances with Turtles

Offline TimberBound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »
Yeah, we have a ton of ice. I wanted to go out bunny hunting, but I took one shot at an ice lump in our yard and watched in horror as the arrow skidded all the way across our 100 yard long yard and vanished into the woods. Still looking for it. I'll wait until the ground catches my arrow before going out again. Pity it's the last day of deer season.

TimberBound

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©