3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: my Ultralight Tree Saddle and Titanium bolts  (Read 182 times)

Offline mtsrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
my Ultralight Tree Saddle and Titanium bolts
« on: September 29, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
Hey guys, I got a bunch of PM’s from people letting me know that my thread about my custom made titanium bolts and Ambush Tree Saddle had been removed.  I don’t know what I did to offend the moderator, but it would be nice to know.  I’m not selling anything and I didn’t use foul language.  I will post the text of the story again below…

I posted a pic of my lightweight ambush tree saddle setup with my custom made Titanium ‘trehopper style’ bolts and several people have PM’d me asking for details.  I thought I would just start a new thread for those interested.  So here are some details with pictures.
Regarding the Titanium pegs… I had them custom made from a company called Mettec.  (mettec.com)
I worked with a nice fellow named Dave to get them exactly like I wanted.  Here are the details:
The material is aircraft grade Titanium.  As strong as grade 8 steel, 47% lighter and will never corrode.  
3/8” x 6.5”
Each bolt weighs 1.88 ounces
The business end of the bolt has one inch of coarse, rolled threads (The main reason I spent the extra money over the steel bolts that are available dirt cheap.  The steel bolts usually have 1.5 inches of machined threads, which makes them more succeptible to shearing when used as tree steps).   With my bolts, I have 5.5 inches of solid shank (insert your joke here) vs. the Treehopper steel bolts which have 4.5 inches of solid shank.  I also had the hex heads turned down to make them smooth for carrying.  The head still has enough ‘lip’ to catch my boot if I get too far out on the bolt.  
Cost…$22 each.  Yes, I know I can get the steel bolts for less than $1 each. I do use some of the steel in trees that I plan on hunting multiple times.  I just leave them in the tree and don’t worry if someone steals them.  
How can I justify spending $220 for 10 bolts?  Well, I can’t.  However, I can make a case that it makes as much sense as spending $190 for 4 Lone Wolf climbing sticks.  
Here goes my argument:
4 Lone Wolf sticks, when placed 20” apart will get put your top step at exactly 200” (about 17 feet).  Do the math if you don’t trust me. Each stick measures 30” from the top of the first step to the top of the third step (you don’t get all 32” of length in real world climbing).  
By comparison, I can space each of my Titanium bolts 20” apart and reach a height of 200”.  Therefore, my 10 bolts at $220 will reach the same height as a 4 pack of LW sticks at about $190.  I can justify the price difference because my 10 bolts weigh 1lb 3oz and fit it my pocket vs. The 4 LW sticks weighing 10 lbs and packing at about 3 feet long by 1 foot high.  You can add 6oz for my EZ-Kut (woodpecker) hand drill, but I only have to drill a tree one time.  After that I just slide the bolts in the holes each time up.  
Don’t get me wrong, I love my LW sticks.  I use them when I hunt pines and poplars, which is quite often.  For hardwoods, I will take my Mettec bolts every time.  
My ambush saddle with the titanium bolts and hand drill weigh about 6lbs total.  That is pretty light for a complete treestand/harness system.  Absolutely, unnecessarily light, but awesomely cool.  
Hope that helps for those who have asked.

Offline mtsrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: my Ultralight Tree Saddle and Titanium bolts
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
...and here is a pic.

Mr. Moderator, I am trying to obey the rules.  If you are going to remove my thread, let me know know before I invest a bunch of time trying to share my experiences.  Thanks!

Offline mtsrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
And here is how I use the climbing rope/prussic/carabiner as my tether while hunting.

Offline mtsrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
Here is a titanium bolt next to a Treehopper steel bolt

And a pack of 10 bolts compared to the old Ameristep strap on steps

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
:cool:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 05:59:00 AM »
I see nothing wrong with that, great set up!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
Ditto.  I could see why one of the pics should have been deleted off the other thread but do not understand why the whole thing got pulled.  I did get this stuff copied down now just in case!

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
Hey---that is  fine system---thanks for sharing it with us.

Joe

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©