3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Razor Edge vs. File-Sharp Edge?  (Read 539 times)

Offline Divinecedar

• Trad Bowhunter
Razor Edge vs. File-Sharp Edge?
« on: September 30, 2011, 12:09:00 AM »
I'm not sure whether this has been covered here, but do you prefer a razor sharp edge (stone & strop in my case) or a micro-serrated edge from a file? Why so?

I was reading Saxton Pope's "Hunting with the Bow and Arrow" and became curious about this. BTW, if you haven't read Pope's book it is an utterly fascinating text on traditional archery and can be found in its entirety online (free of charge):
 http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8084

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Razor Edge vs. File-Sharp Edge?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
I generally use a file and/or a diamond file on broadheads. I can get them hair popping sharp that way and they will also pass the rubber band test. Most importantly, they kill stuff dead and leave a good blood trail if you poke a hole fairly low. High lung hits won't bleed outside much no matter what you use or how you sharpen it.

I like to use files because I can easily carry it with me either in my pack on the pocket of my bow quiver. I can touch up a broadhead with a few strokes and be ready to go. The diamond file also doubles as a knife sharpener, and it works on either two blade or three blade broadheads. It is the best way I have found to sharpen Woodsman broadheads.

You will find a multitude of "reasons" why one method or the other is best. I say, use the one YOU can do best. Either will kill critters.

BTW: Fred Bear preferred a file sharpened broadhead, and I believe he was able to take a critter or two! So it's good enough for me.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
Lots of previous posts about this. It is usually a contentious issue and great for arguments during the off-season. Check out the search function.

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 07:16:00 AM »
I prefer the stone & strop.  If I have to touch up a head all I need is my leather belt or the back of my notepad.  No need to carry a file.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
take a look at this.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=000002

that’s how i do it now.... i know a lot of people like a smooth surgical sharp blade.  i don't.  if you know a surgeon ask them why they use what they do.  here's a hint, it ain't what we want as bowhunters.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Blaino:
take a look at this.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=000002  

that’s how i do it now.... i know a lot of people like a smooth surgical sharp blade.  i don't.  if you know a surgeon ask them why they use what they do.  here's a hint, it ain't what we want as bowhunters.
That's pretty much what I do too, except I have never done the 45 degree stroke to intentionally serrate the blade. I've never had a problem with the blade dulling from shooting an animal...with Deltas anyway. I find the WW to be softer and easier to flat-spot the edge. That's one reason I stick with Deltas.

I agree with you though. I don't want surgical sharp. I'm trying to kill stuff, not save its life!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »

I was reading Saxton Pope's "Hunting with the Bow and Arrow" and became curious about this. BTW, if you haven't read Pope's book it is an utterly fascinating text on traditional archery and can be found in its entirety online (free of charge):
    http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8084    
Yes, it is a fascinating read. I will also note, if you have a Kindle or other device that supports Kindle software the book is free for these devices from Amazon!

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
I use a Razor Edge guide and a Hewlett Jewelstik followed by leather stropping. I started out with this rig for Simmons Tree Sharks but now use it on all heads.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
I am into free!  I will have to get that on my Kindle and take it with me today headed out for the bow opener.  That would be a great way to spend the evening.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
David,,, I'm currently sharpening 3 tree sharks now..  I need your opinion on the edge your getting because I'm using the simmons ceramic rods which are similer to what your using,,,,, how is the pentration with that edge?  I'm going to try these from a 47# treadway with a total arrow weight of 480Gr I think (29" heritage 90/200gr treeshark 3/5" parabolics) just getting a tad nervous and 2nd guess these because of the lighter bow weight than I normally used..
"Us vs Them"

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
Some heads, because they use a softer metal, should only be sharpened with a serrated or  filed edge. However, a nice hard stainless steel will take and hold a razor edge going in and coming out of an animal. I've killed a lot of stuff with both and the razor edge on a harder steel gives me the quickest kills and awesome blood trails.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline danderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
so why wouldn't you want surgical sharp for hunting?
BW SAX Kingwood 54#

1967 Bear Super Kodiak 50#

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
Do you know what a surgeon does with a scalpel immediately after making the first incision in a surgery?

Throws it away and grabs another. We can't do that.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
Jerry Hill broadheads came shaving sharp when new and stayed that way for a long time with just stropping them. however, they were hard stainless steel and could really shine up a cheap file, but when sharpened with a good file and then giving them a good serration, they held on to that for a long time as well. I found that with that design, perhaps by shear chance, I got better blood trails when they were serrated. My wife's broadheads are mostly easily shaving sharp, some of my own as well.  But for my single bevel Hills and my older Elgrande Grizzlies, I tend to file and serrate and they work just fine that way. There is a difference between a keen serrated edge and merely a rough edge, if in doubt get them shaving shaving sharp.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
The pros and cons on both sides have been discussed a lot and both work; whatever method you like that gives you the best edge is the one you should use.

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
This is an interesting topic, anyone else have an opinion?
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
I file sharpen and have had good results.

But I wouldn't dream of file sharpening a knife.  My broadheads are 42-45 Rockwell - pretty soft.  I think the softer steel yields a more durable edge with the file.  If you are using a harder head - the fine stropped edge would be worthwhile.

Just this guy's opinion.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
Byron ferguson said surgeons have their scalpels surgically sharp so it penetrates better which is good. It reduces hemorrhaging. but we want them to hemorrhage. And it reduces scarring which is kinda of a moot point . So he prefers Fred Bear sharp. Or a rougher edge.
IMO when you cut yourself shaving it heals up fast. But if you ever cut yourself with a serrated or a rough edge it tends to be harder to stop the bleeding and does not heal as fast.

Offline park

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
razor sharp is best because it causes less resistance.this is the same reason i use cut on contact and prefer lighter smaller broadheads.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 12:34:00 AM »
I have used Eclipse 125gr heads with a 75gr insert giving me a 200 grain broadhead.  These are really hard broadheads and I can get them incredibly sharp with a diamond steel hone that folds up and looks like a butterfly knife, the Red DMT.  I wonder if anyone has sharpened the back half of the edges with a file, leaving them rough and honing the front portion razor sharp.  That in theory would give the best of both worlds.  Any thoughts?
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©