3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recap of my Zirkel Wilderness elk hunt  (Read 393 times)

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
Recap of my Zirkel Wilderness elk hunt
« on: September 30, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »
When I was nine my Dad took me with him on an elk hunt in Colorado.  It was he and I with a guide on horseback for nine days and I can remember that hunt like it was yesterday.  On that trip he put an arrow into the shoulder bone of a big bull that he never recovered and that was the last elk he ever arrowed.  For reasons that only a son would understand I made a personal oath to be there when he finally succeeded in getting his bull.  So it was that my two brothers, (one through blood, one through choice), and I decided that we would "gift" my Dad an elk hunt, paying his way as thanks for being the man he is.  One brother and I are trad.  My other brother and Dad are wheel guys.  If you want to stop reading at this point, no hard feelings, but I think that most all of you realize that there is more to the hunt than just the kill.

The best hunt we could afford that we believed gave us the most of what hunting elk in the Rockies offered was an unguided drop camp where we were packed in on horseback.  The area was public land in the Zirkel Wilderness north of Steamboat, and I told everyone that the chances of us getting an animal, (only Dad had ever really elk hunted before and I can't honestly call him an "elk hunter"), were slim to none.  That wasn't the point.  The four of us around the fire, under the stars... mission accomplished.

The hunt started under auspicious beginnings as we met the outfitter the night before we were to pack in and the only advice he gave us was, "well, we saw elk sign near camp, and we once packed an animal out from around these lakes here... you know, you just have to hunt and find sign".  It didn't sound any better when a ranch hand mentioned to me on the ride up the mountains that no drop-camp group had taken an animal, bull or cow, in over two years.  Our confidence rose as we rode the horses 16 miles to the camp nestled a mile and a half west of the Continental Divide at an elevation of 9500 feet, figuring that hunting pressure would be light despite it being the third week coinciding with the muzzleloader season.  That thought was dashed as we encountered 18 other hunters in the first day and a half of our hunt!  There was no fresh sign and all the hunters we met gave us the same story of "haven't seen or heard anything yet."

In my family I'm considered "the hunter" which is well and good, except that as I mentioned, I'd never hunted elk since I was nine.  That second night I sat down with the topo and tried to figure where the elk might be.  Most all of the other hunters we encountered where on horseback so it just made sense to go to a place where horses couldn't.  Two miles to the northwest of camp began an series of east/west canyons that were extremely steep and choked with downfall.  I'd spent the last year studying Elknut's playbook and practicing my calling, so I grabbed my bugle and headed a mile down the horsetrail to an outcropping that would carrying my locator bugle towards those canyons.

daytime view of my nightime calling location

That night I got a response so immediate that at first I thought it was an echo.  Another bugle, another response and I hotfooted it back to camp with the news that we had a place to start!
The next morning my Dad and I began our descent and two ridges over began finding some fresh sign.  We spent the day covering as many miles as our flatlander legs and lungs could manage.  Although we didn't see any elk, the sign was fresh, rubs, scat, beds and wallows with muddy water.

Taking one of many breaks to let me... 'er Dad catch his breath.

Having found nothing but petrified scat my two brothers decided to join us the following day.  As we were side hilling a ridge 2/3rds from the top I spotted a bedded cow 40 yards from us.  The wind was right, but the cover so thick with deadfall that sneaking in any closer wasn't an option.  We tried a calling setup, but the only response was the bull giving his glunks and chuckles as he herded the cows down the slope.  The coolest part of the hunt was the realization that you can smell them!  I'd read about it, but never given much thought to actually using your nose to locate animals.

Taking my first whiff of elk from where the cow had been bedded

The next couple of days were spent covering as many as 11 miles a day trying to locate the herd. We only saw one cow. Sometimes I think that trying to find a mature whitetail here in the big woods of northern Wisconsin is like trying to find a needle in a haystack, but this kind of country really is vast.  Coupled with the altitude, the inclines and the blowdowns, my brother said it best, "Dude, they could literally be anywhere."  But, the scenery was beautiful and the hunting so far removed from our lives back home that only with effort could one visualize it, and isn't that in essence the point of going there?

My brother getting creative in crossing streams when wearing low cut boots.

The night before our final day my Dad and I went back to my "calling ridge" and I sent my locator once more across the expanse.  Three bulls answered.  "Here's the plan," I said back at camp as we prepared for our last hunt.

What happened next doesn't fit within the context of this site which is our home away from home and I wouldn't have it so.  The story ends with Dad standing over his bull, and an oath fulfilled.  When I returned home, my wife asked if I was disappointed that I didn't get an elk.  I told her that I never really thought I'd pull the string on this trip.  She shook her head and said that she didn't "get it".  I smiled and told her she didn't have to.

I would like to add a sincere thank you to tradganger Pete Iacavazzi for his extensive help to a neophite elk-hunter whom he'd never met.  Thanks again Pete and I'll call you with the full story.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recap of my Zirkel Wilderness elk hunt
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 01:16:00 AM »
:clapper:  

Lots of success was had on that trip...Well done!  

Thanks for sharing that with us.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 01:27:00 AM »
Terrific dedication and little luck paid off. Great story, and would have loved to seen the smile on your dad's face.   :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 06:16:00 AM »
does sound like a great trip!  congrats on a fine hunt.
is it September yet??

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 06:27:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing  :)
Great pics, good story   :clapper:
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online JoLo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »
Great write and pics. Thanks and congrats

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline anw0625

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
Great write up!
Stalker Coyote LongBow
Habu DeathAdder
German Kinetics "German Made"
Black Eagle Rampage

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
Your brother is a brave man!  Those limb stubs sticking up on that log could have him singing soprano in the choir if he slipped.  :eek:    :scared:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
Oooops, double posted  :knothead:  .  Glad for the edit feature!
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
Great Story!! BTW I think it fits this site just fine.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :campfire:  

Great stuff!  Thank you fir sharing.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
Very cool

Congrats
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
:campfire:
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
Great story! Congrats on helping your father fufill a dream!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
Outstanding story. Thanks for sharing.

Kyle

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
Outstanding!!   :archer2:    :archer2:

Offline schlaggerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
Great job Mike, Thanks for sharing the story. You can give me the rest of the details when we see each other again.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
Good stuff, congrats to Dad!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©