3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Blade Texture---Old or Polished pics added p. 4  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Blade Texture---Old or Polished pics added p. 4
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
Old and unfinished.  :thumbsup:
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
Doc,

Your knives don't sell cause you don't sell em!!!! No other reason!!!!
hunt it

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »
That is a sensational looking knife Doc. Polishing it would be a sin. IMHO.
When ya' gonna' turn pro?

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »
Hey Doc, Send one of each for evaluation and I will get back with ya on an answer. LOL  :smileystooges:    :D
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 01:50:00 PM »
Doc,

I like the old, out of the forge look.  

I've recently been reading about applying mustard (yeah real mustard like you'd put on your hot dog!!)to a semi-polished carbon blade to achieve an aged look.  You dab it on with the tip of your finger and let it dry, wash off and do it again.  The vinegar ans salt in the mustard is supposed to give a mottled, aged look.  Some will finish it off with a cold blueing.  Makes for a real antique look.  Have you ever played with anything like that?
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
The "Tippit" style, is what I call the unpolished look. You have made a mark in our minds with your knives Doc. In my mind that's what a good knife should look like. Not that other's knives aren't good knives, Lord knows Jeremy and Doug, just to name a few, make some beautiful blades. I just like the simple functional look to "Tippit" knives.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
OLD.....   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »
Doc, I LOVE the "old" look.  but i think i need a closer look.  i could test one for ya.

By the way, how do you finish the blade that way....hopefully its not a ancient knifemakers secret.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
I like the old look. But not because I am lazy and don't wanna spend time to get a blade to shine like Jeremys . It's just that I like a rugged look in a knife. But sometimes a nice polish ona blade is sweet so what Vermonster said rings so true.<><<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »
I don't like my things to shine too much plus the knife has more character if it's finish is left a bit rough. Either way, they're nice knives.
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jdupre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
I like the aged look too. If you really use a carbon steel knife , it will get stained anyway. If it's gonna be stained, I would just as soon have it stained in a nice looking pattern. I like the mustard etch because you can make different patterns .

Offline Coachy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2007, 03:54:00 AM »
Just a question from a budding knife maker ,,, do people spend more on the polished look , or are they just as happy to spend as much on a knife that looks "rough" ??

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2007, 05:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by Coachy:
Just a question from a budding knife maker ,,, do people spend more on the polished look , or are they just as happy to spend as much on a knife that looks "rough" ??
Doesn't seem to make that much difference, to be honest. If an etched or non polished blade suits the style of knife, obviously. Some knives just flat out don't suit a forged finish & look far better with a satin or mirror polish.
A lot also depends on your intended market.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Coachy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2007, 06:06:00 AM »
How can you say that  a certain knife suits a certain finish ? Sorry I just dont get it . I thought it would be more of a personal thing . How could say ,, a fillet knife suit a polished finish ,, where as a skinner would suit a forged finish ?
  Anyway ,, looking forward to more opinions

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2007, 07:11:00 AM »
Coachy,  
As I started making knives, I strived to copy guys whose knives I really liked ie. Doug & Daniel Winkler...I said tried!  You keep reaching plateaus if you stick with anything long enough just like shooting traditional equipment.  My next level was I could finally forge consistent shapes & reproduce what I was actually trying to copy.  Then you finally start to break out on your own and keep changing styles to see how little differences effect the function of the blade.  That's were the Bear Quest has been so much fun for me with the number of bears to be skinned and usually four guys to a bear...a lot of knives get tested!

Long explanations of how the maker feels when they finish up a blade.  Anyway that's my interpretation of Rob's comment on how the finish fits the blade.  Still comes back to what the maker & buyer like...except I don't have buyers so it's easier for me to keep playing around  :goldtooth:  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2007, 07:20:00 AM »
Coachy,
Also I think there is a difference in a rough look.  The knife has to be finished and then have a rough look as opposed to being just rough if you are talking about some spending good money on it.  IMHO The rough look on a finished knife is just a style and cost similar.  Then Again my customers are all very complimentary of my pricing policy...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2007, 07:38:00 AM »
Doc,

I love the old look of a lot of your blades.  You make some fine looking knives.  I look more for function.  If it works I like it.    :thumbsup:
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2007, 08:17:00 AM »
Then Again my customers are all very complimentary of my pricing policy...Doc
I'm quite fond of it myself!   :clapper:  

Doc is spot on about a knife having to be finished and look rough, rather than be rough.  There's a very BIG difference that is clear when you have both types in your hands.

The nicest knife I've seen to date was a "rough" forged hunter by an ABS Master Smith.  It was probably about 95% finished right out of the forge.  All the smith did was grind the edge.  The blade had the blackened finish Rob was talking about and you could tell it had been hand hammered to shape (nice distal taper and an even bevel from spine to edge) but running my fingers over the blade I could hardle detect the variations in the surface.  The skill it takes to do that is well beyond what I'll ever be capable of (a man's got to know his limits) and the smith was asking, received and deserved a hefty price for that knife.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline KyGal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2007, 03:14:00 PM »
I too like the well worn look, but prefer that the blade and grip have a matching finish. I have some stuff from the buckskinner set called "Old Bone" that is chemically nasty but will oxidize bone, antler or wood to match the metal. I dunno what it is, but it seems to stop acting with a good rinse. It is liquid and bright purple.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »
Potassium Permanganate!
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©