3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2- Fletch Arrows  (Read 810 times)

Offline tex-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2- Fletch Arrows
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
I have heard about two fletch before and I am considering trying it myself. I shoot 55-60lbs. With that weight would the two fletch still work?
Aim small, miss small!!

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
I've got a couple I made with 5.5" low bananas. They certainly fly well, even with Simmons Tigersharks. I've got some helical in them, but not a huge amount. It was really windy today, and they had much less tail drag than 3x4 shields, 4x4 shields, 3x5 shields, and definitely 4x5.5 low bananas.

Tex-archer, I don't see why the bow poundage would matter. You just need to make sure the arrow spine is the correct one for your bow and the way you shoot.

Offline Jim Neaves

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • https://centaurarchery.com/
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
Arrow weight is a personal preference. As for my reccomendation, 10 grains of arrow weight per pound of bow weight is a solid balance between maintaining good kinetic energy, flat trajectory within ethical hunting distances, and enough weight to absorb the bows energy to keep it quiet. Arrow spine is the key to good arrow flight ultimately though.

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
Good stuff and congrats on the kill. It's unfortuate the previous thread got deleted. You have posted some great info on how you do it and why. 2 fletch is a viable hunting setup using both modern and primitive methods. If you need I will be glad to post pics, probably not till in the morning though. How about 2 fletch with a turbulator ? Now that will be opening the can of worms ! [email protected]
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline Jim Neaves

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
Tex-archer, let me add(regardless of bow poundage)

Offline Thebear_78

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 05:59:00 AM »
I fletched up a few arrows yesterday and tested them.  2 each were 4" 4 fletch 75x105,  4" 3 fletch, 5" 3 fletch, 5" 2 fletch.     the 4 fletch were burned banana, 4" 3 fletch was chopped shield, and 5"were burned shield.  all right wing with lots of helical.  

all grouped together and all flew well.  the biggest difference was  probably sound.  the 2 fletch was noticably quieter than the others, followed by the 4" 3 fletch.    these allwere well tuned shafts that bare shaft very well.

to further test I shot them out of another bow that shot those bare shafts way left.  no surprise the 4 fletch and 5" 3 fletch flew much better and 2 fletch and 4" three fletch had noticably  more kick and poorer  flight.  

I guess it was no surprise,  more feather = more forgiving of spine variance and inconsistancy of form.  That being said when properly tuned the two fletch is very quiet and as
effective as 3 fletch.  The 4" banana was most stable across the board but had a bit of hiss to it.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
a cautionary comment ...

a "modern" 2-fletch DOES work well, IF all the right parameters are involved - the shooter's form/release is good and consistent, good bare shaft flight under hunting conditions, and the 2-fletch arrows have been well field tested under hunting venue conditions.  

the reason(s) for using a 2-fletch?  i don't see any that are major functional, and i don't buy into the added quietness.  i did my own 2, 3, 4, 6 fletch testing and feather noise has much to do with the feather fletch itself, the degree of offset/helical, the shape and height, AND your release.  i mostly use a 4" banana low profile 4-fletch and it offers as little a 20 yard downrange noise as 2 and 3 fletched arrows of varying shapes and configs.  

the reasons for more than 2 fletches can be summed up in one word - "insurance".  faster arrow spin, quicker paradox recovery, added arrow stability.    

there are bowhunters who should not even attempt a 2-fletch 'til they get all their ducks in a row, first. and even so, yer adding another measure of concern when out hunting.  

this is NOT to knock those who know how to use a 2-fletch - just as with those who prefer to go trad primitive, it's all viable trad bowhunting if in the right, capable hands.  

and that's that, from my perspective.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
Pic's for Jim....

U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
Rob...very good spin and synopsis

After many years of trying to run, I always find my way back to perfecting a walk - possibly I should start back at crawling.

Kin to teaching kids or just someone a viable method ,yet that they see a pro executing totally in contradiction. Yes! privileges can be taken if you truely own the skills and control.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Jim Neaves

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics Snakewood3. The arrows that you see are Easton Axis 400's cut at 28" and weigh right at 500gr. There is about 220gr. on the nose of that arrow.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
Great photos - thank you for posting those Jim & Snakewood!

I am gonna try some of that 2-fletch action with some Centaur Battle Axe broadheads!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Mac11700

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
That's cool looking...I'm going to try this..

Mac

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
well, i experimented with it took few deer and hogs, but still like 3 fletch

Offline alex m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the new slant on things.  I'm going to fire up the old Blitzenberger and give it a try.  Alex
The unknown wilderness has said to me: “Come sit in our green shade and commune with the Great Spirit in our leafy cathedrals while the choirs of bird-song fill your ears.” –Howard Hill

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Give'r a try fellas,you might be surprised.I made the best shot of my life with a 2 fletched arrow.
Actually,its not a new slant,its just not as popular,or known by many people.I shot some of Gordy Mickens arrows,about 10 er so yrs ago.How many of you,that have well tuned arrows,have had a fletch come off and your arrow still grouped with your 3 fletched arrows?I know i have.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2011, 07:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Traxx:
...How many of you,that have well tuned arrows,have had a fletch come off and your arrow still grouped with your 3 fletched arrows?I know i have.
please help me understand what yer saying ...

you have a bare shaft that flies well, you stick on some feathers (2 or 3) and arrow still flies well, you pull off one feather and that arrow still flies/groups well?

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
My realease is less than perfect but on a good one two fletch works good but on a normal for me realease with big broadheads ..not so good. I shoot 3 5.5 feathers.RC

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
Rob,
Im asking,that if you have well tuned arrows and you have initially,3 fletched them.While shooting,for whatever reason,you loose a fletch.Does your arrow still fly well?Mine did.As a matter of fact,it happened to me at NALS severall years ago,and i shot severall targets with the arrow on purpose.Jim and i had a smile about it afterwards,when i told him.Am i suggesting,that everybody strip a feather off of their existing 3 feather fletch?Absolutely not!Am i suggesting,that everybody needs to use a 2 fletched arrow?No im not.Am i suggesting that 2 fletch works well,when applied properly?Yes,I am.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
I shoot four 4" 90° fletch and this morning just ripped off two of the feathers, adjusted the nock and let 'er fly at 30 yards. Looks strange, but they flew great. Quiet. They don't have a lot of helical, but they spun OK.

On the other hand, I can shoot bare shafts and they fly fine too as long as I don't pluck or wobble.

My wife walked by in her pink bathrobe with her coffee and just said, "Don't like it."

So there.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Traxx:
Rob,
Im asking,that if you have well tuned arrows and you have initially,3 fletched them.While shooting,for whatever reason,you loose a fletch.Does your arrow still fly well?Mine did.As a matter of fact,it happened to me at NALS severall years ago,and i shot severall targets with the arrow on purpose.Jim and i had a smile about it afterwards,when i told him.Am i suggesting,that everybody strip a feather off of their existing 3 feather fletch?Absolutely not!Am i suggesting,that everybody needs to use a 2 fletched arrow?No im not.Am i suggesting that 2 fletch works well,when applied properly?Yes,I am.
when a fletch is removed so is the aerodynamic spin balance, and the resulting flight is just like a screwball - erratic not good at all, but ya might get lucky and the arrow will end up where it should.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©