3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2- Fletch Arrows  (Read 809 times)

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2- Fletch Arrows
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
Guess im just one lucky bugger then.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Jim Neaves

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • https://centaurarchery.com/
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
Okay guys lets not get silly about this. There is a right way and a method to what I do and I explained it and have even shown pictures. If you are going to do it right, it needs to be planned. Do not start stripping feathers off 3 fletched arrows. I have described the benefits of a properly spined and properly fletched 2-fletched arrow. The testing has been done and there is a proper way of doing it and I have explained that. Any other way than what I have suggested is your baby but I have over 12 years experience with my method and it is proven so take it for what its worth just don't get stupid.

Offline Jim Neaves

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
No offense to anyone here but this thread is about a tried and proven method. The subject can be controversial and that is why I explained in depth about how to do it right. A vehical can function on three good tires and a spare but it won't handle optimally because it was not designed for that to be the norm.(Analogy of ripping one feather off a 4-fletch) Plan a vehical to have only 2 wheels, balance it and design it right and now you have quite a machine. Maybe not the best analogy but you get my drift. Don't try to make a highly balanced crotch-rocket out  of a 4 door sedan, just start from scratch and refine the process utilizing common sense and design. You will soon see 4 years of animals taken with highly refined well tuned dual-fletch arrows in the new "Wild Tradition" dvd. Guys, I only have a 25" draw length and shoot in the low 50# range......I can't afford to have less than perfect arrow flight. Rob you make some very good points and people should listen to what you are saying. If you are going to build a 2-fletch arrow, make sure you have your ducks in a row. You would'nt plan your 3-fletched arrow by building 4-fletch arrows and then arbitrarilly cut a fletch off. I understand if it happens and you are out stump shooting or something but when you get home.........fix it or start over. If you are going to try 2-fletch, then use the tips I have given you. No arrow should ever be pre-planned for crappy flight. Do it right! Hope this helps everyone.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2011, 01:47:00 AM »
Thanks for the pictures, worth a thousand words

Offline ozzyshane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2011, 05:41:00 AM »
Jim have you found the way you mount the BH eg hoz to vert  to make any dif in the flight of the arrow Thanks Shane

Offline Jim Neaves

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »
No difference Shane.

Offline Basic Instinct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2014, 07:40:00 AM »
back to the top with a  old topic I was looking for.
Anyone else been trying this at all??
Rejoice in the lord always, And again I say Rejoice.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »
let's be realistic,  there IS a measure of lost initial (and perhaps total) stability using a 2-fletch.  the 2-fletch may look cool and will save 12 fletches per dozen arrows, but functionally, for a trad bowhunter, what is the achievement?  imo, there is nothing at all gained worthed mentioning and something of prime significance is lost.  but as always, ymmv.

and so, this bears repeating for those intrigued by the siren song of the primitive 2-fletched arrow ...

a cautionary comment ...

a "modern" 2-fletch DOES work well, IF all the right parameters are involved - the shooter's form/release is good and consistent, good bare shaft flight under hunting conditions, and the 2-fletch arrows have been well field tested under hunting venue conditions.

the reason(s) for using a 2-fletch? i don't see any that are major functional, and i don't buy into the added quietness. i did my own 2, 3, 4, 6 fletch testing and feather noise has much to do with the feather fletch itself, the degree of offset/helical, the shape and height, AND your release. i mostly use a 4" banana low profile 4-fletch and it offers as little a 20 yard downrange noise as 2 and 3 fletched arrows of varying shapes and configs.

the reasons for more than 2 fletches can be summed up in one word - "insurance". faster arrow spin, quicker paradox recovery, added arrow stability.

there are bowhunters who should not even attempt a 2-fletch 'til they get all their ducks in a row, first. and even so, yer adding another measure of concern when out hunting.

this is NOT to knock those who know how to use a 2-fletch - just as with those who prefer to go trad primitive, it's all viable trad bowhunting if in the right, capable hands.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
Hi Dan. I experimented with 2 fletch arrows making woodies for my brother. It was fun and interesting to try something different. I remember looking for all the info and pictures I could too. For what it's worth I will provide a link to the arrows I did. Rob, as many others here, is a great source of knowledge and we certainly owe the animals we hunt the best arrow we can give them. I am only 3 years into trad archery, so I'm only looking to contribute not pick a fight or argument.
For my two fletch I used molted Canadian goose feathers and my bitz jig set for the most helical it would adjust for. I cut the feathers as long as I could after measuring my brothers brace height and experimenting with the jig. If you look in the photos you will be able to notice that I left the goose feathers full height like a flu flu feather and burned them lower till I felt I had enough and not to much. Although there are only 2 feathers the amount of helical is adjustable and the height and length of the feather is also adjustable. Just my thoughts... good luck and have fun Dan!

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=132257#000000
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline yeharrr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »
Know this is an old thread but I shoot two fletch here in the UK. I have one of Jim's centaurs and have gone from shooting three four inch feathers to two five inch feather. Poc shafts. Shield helical. They fly great. I have just stripped a dozen shafts to re fletch with just two. I shoot in competitions at all distances. 3D targets out to say 80 yards field and 250 roving clout - need a few more pound on my next bow for those crazy long clout shoots, but jims bow holds its own, though 250 yds is asking a bit too much against 190lb war bows! Though my wife has won the women's class several times with one of Jim's
Bows. Anyway my remainig three fletch arrows group fine with my two fletch. So I can see no reason so far not to keep with two fletch. Maybe they just happen to work for me. Plus I like the way people squint as they try to figure out what is not quite right with my arrows.....'hey, mate - one of your fletchings has fallen off'
Christ is Lord
Centaur chimera xtl 70@28
Centaur chimera xtl 53@28

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2015, 12:31:00 AM »
HAHA!!!!

Dont you love that reaction.LOL

I had the same thing happen at a shoot.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2015, 01:17:00 AM »
I have a Osage self bow that shoots Two fletch better than any other fletch set up. My two fletch arrows are noisy. But they work great out of my self bow. I agree with Rob DiStefano  , Shooting them out of one out of my recurves you can sure tell a bad release real quick.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline OregonTom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2015, 11:23:00 AM »
When I have rooster (chicken) feathers I use the Cherokee two fletch.  Seems to work well,  just a little more noisy than my preferred three fletch  with turkey feather.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
Wow, there sure seems to be a lot of mountain climbing over a mole hill here. The basic situation here is that for some 2 fletch performs very well and for others not as well. Either way, there is no cause for some of the sharp arguments. For an individual archer, it either works or it doesn't.
Sam

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2015, 07:47:00 PM »
I did this as an experiment following the original discussion and it worked fine.  I made one, used 5.5" fletch ( what I had on hand) and it flew with the other arrows, even with a broadhead.  I did NOT  use super wide heads in the test.  One area where it really shined ( shone ?) was in the quiver.  Very quiet compared to three fletch with 5.5" feathers.  

Truth is, I shot it a lot during practice sessions and wore out the fletch and never replaced it.  It worked OK,  I kinda like other fletch orientation so I went there.
ChuckC

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »
I have been shooting two fletch cane arrows from Ryan Gill. They fly awesome!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©